Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Squozen wrote: »
    I'm in Bitcoin, but besides the lightning network I don't see anything that might push the price back to where I bought in. Then again, even my index funds are collapsing right now!

Nothing will surprise you more than cryptocurrency.

There's predictions BTC can hit 50k.

Think of each coin like different commodities on a stock exchange

BTC would be gold
    ETH silver
    XRP could be OJ.. ...sorry I watched trading places last night

They'll go up and down but as more and more people/stores/business etc undersrandunderstand how valuable cryptocurrency will be to them that's when it will become mainstream and eventually wipe out fiat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

started with a fixed amount that I was willing to lose and dripped it in to the market over the boom times of the past weeks - thought I was the dogs boll0x as I had my portfolio up 50% within a couple of weeks.

Now I'm down ~30% on my initial investment (80% swing loss) but not really arsed tbh

not cause its an insignificant cash amount, but because I have learned so much so far, and for me its all about picking those coins you believe in, try not get too involved or feel missing out on the day trades that see double % increases.

at this point in time my only wish is... I have a couple of coins that I just want back to my initial investment return on, so I can use the cash for liquidity, but the majority of the coins in my portfolio I can see me not touching for months and months.

the constant checking of blockfolio is a pain in the arse but:o!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Squozen wrote: »
    I'm in Bitcoin, but besides the lightning network I don't see anything that might push the price back to where I bought in. Then again, even my index funds are collapsing right now!

In my opinion (And I know I'll get lambasted for this) bitcoin isn't as safe a bet as it once was.
    No question Blockchain will be huge in the near future so you should put it into coins that allow platforms to be built on it or integrate into it.
    Bitcoin has first mover advantage which is becoming less and less important the more common this technology becomes.
    Bitcoins use is a gateway into Crypto but that share is dwindling.

Just my opinion, Doesn't mean I'm right about any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Squozen

seannash wrote: »
    In my opinion (And I know I'll get lambasted for this) bitcoin isn't as safe a bet as it once was.
    No question Blockchain will be huge in the near future so you should put it into coins that allow platforms to be built on it or integrate into it.
    Bitcoin has first mover advantage which is becoming less and less important the more common this technology becomes.

No, I think you're spot on and I'm just going to have to swallow the loss. I'll continue holding but I don't see a good outcome.

so you should put it into coins that allow platforms to be built on it or integrate into it.

This is it mate.

The reason we don't use the same planes,boats,cars, computers from 100 year ago is because people built on them to improve them over and over.

The first computer had a memory of 250kb and was the size of a car, no we can get a memory card with a 1TB of storage on a stick the size of your thumb.

The world is constantly evolving and so will cryptos or more specifically block chain, get involved in ones that can be modified and enhanced to perform better and do more and more functions and that's where you'll make your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

the constant checking of blockfolio is a pain in the arse but:o!!!
    LOL Same.
    I have only dabbled and made 2 small investments and through some nicely timed day trades and that I have tripled my investment as it stands, even in these red times.. however.. Neo has been my winner, I got it at 27 euro a piece.. otherwise I'd be in the red too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Only coin I am in is ETH. Hasn't been effected. Mining the fúck outta that shít too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

LOL Same.
    I have only dabbled and made 2 small investments and through some nicely timed day trades and that I have tripled my investment as it stands, even in these red times.. however.. Neo has been my winner, I got it at 27 euro a piece.. otherwise I'd be in the red too.

Neo holder here as well. I also picked up some Trinity Network Credits (off-chain scaling solution for Neo) recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Is there anywhere you can see a graph of the next bitcoin futures?
    As in if more money has gone on short or long?
    Does such a thing exist

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Only coin I am in is ETH. Hasn't been effected. Mining the fúck outta that shít too.

How much do you make mining roughly? Is it lucrative?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Disagree, all Bitcoins hurdles can be overcome, it is the daddy and will be hard to topple. however there is plenty of room for plenty of other projects to have a fair share and turn into credible business/corporations. I myself expected things to bounce again by now, in fact i got caught up in the hysteria of December and saw it going into the new year. With all the fud, regulations etc, it's taking a hit, as well as a correction, in the long run, regulations are needed for mass adoption, we are all early investors. Already i have moved my investments in "long shot" projects into Bitcoin, i just can't bring myself to move my main investments into Bitcoin as they are such good projects that i am confident will prevail and be huge. I suggest those worried - take a break and not look at the markets for 2 - 4 weeks, i myself took a week off, thinking of doing so again until mid February (a few things coming up then that i want to get involved in) it will do you good. hodl and smile guys! Much luck and love to you all. Believe!

oh, ICO's are getting a bit out of hand, be very careful with them, i initially started looking but have stopped, waiting for decent projects to actually come to the market later. All of the above, is of course, my opinion, not financial advice ;)

mining eth!!! unless you have a very decent rig, you will be a while to return anything significant. Better off mining smaller coins. Correct me if i am wrong

Disagree, all Bitcoins hurdles can be overcome, it is the daddy and will be hard to topple. however there is plenty of room for plenty of other projects to have a fair share and turn into credible business/corporations. I myself expected things to bounce again by now, in fact i got caught up in the hysteria of December and saw it going into the new year. With all the fud, regulations etc, it's taking a hit, as well as a correction, in the long run, regulations are needed for mass adoption, we are all early investors. Already i have moved my investments in "long shot" projects into Bitcoin, i just can't bring myself to move my main investments into Bitcoin as they are such good projects that i am confident will prevail and be huge. I suggest those worried - take a break and not look at the markets for 2 - 4 weeks, i myself took a week off, thinking of doing so again until mid February (a few things coming up then that i want to get involved in) it will do you good. hodl and smile guys! Much luck and love to you all. Believe!

oh, ICO's are getting a bit out of hand, be very careful with them, i initially started looking but have stopped, waiting for decent projects to actually come to the market later. All of the above, is of course, my opinion, not financial advice ;)

I love discussing this so ill ask some questions.
    How will it overcome the fact its not scalable to the degree other payment methods nor is it as quick. Lightning is unproven for now but even if they can implement it successfully other coins are better.
    It has first mover advantage for sure but as crypto becomes more mainstream that wont matter as much.
    Just to say it wont be toppled but it probably be somewhat stagnant in 2018.

Ethereum is close to being the largest market cap fairly soon though

I love discussing this so ill ask some questions.
    How will it overcome the fact its not scalable to the degree other payment methods nor is it as quick. Lightning is unproven for now but even if they can implement it successfully other coins are better.
    It has first mover advantage for sure but as crypto becomes more mainstream that wont matter as much.
    Just to say it wont be toppled but it probably be somewhat stagnant in 2018.

Ethereum is close to being the largest market cap fairly soon though
    I will answer that with a question :) What has been proven? What are these other payment methods (in crypto) that are faster (cheaper transaction than Bitcoin at the moment though). Projects should be providing data of simultaneous transactions - such as the kitties ;) - that unproved something. Btw i am a Big fan of Eth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

mining eth!!! unless you have a very decent rig, you will be a while to return anything significant. Better off mining smaller coins. Correct me if i am wrong

Currently hashing 2348 Mh/s. It's quite a few rigs. Does an ETH about every 5 days.

I will answer that with a question :) What has been proven? What are these other payment methods (in crypto) that are faster (cheaper transaction than Bitcoin at the moment though). Projects should be providing data of simultaneous transactions - such as the kitties ;) - that unproved something. Btw i am a Big fan of Eth

No doubt about it bitcoin has the hard yards put in but a lot of coins and platforms have been proven (Modem,Iota etc etc)
    In terms of true payment methods, Litecoin is faster than bitcoin (4x If I remember correctly) and XRP. I honestly dont think the mainstream is going to accept any of these payment methods this year and because of this I dont think they will grow

Bitcoin wont die but I think it'll be a slow year. I hope its not true though. If bitcoin increases we all increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

No doubt about it bitcoin has the hard yards put in but a lot of coins and platforms have been proven (Modem,Iota etc etc)

You have an exceedingly low standard of 'proven'. IOTA isn't even properly decentralised.

Nermal wrote: »
    You have an exceedingly low standard of 'proven'. IOTA isn't even properly decentralised.
    Apologies you are right.
    I was asked for what was proven and I believe he asked for use cases in the real world which is what I provided

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

All early indicators are we're on the big slide again today. Will it be compounded or improved upon after lunch when the U.S are online?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

BTC down to $9,550 as of right now. Think I'll have a crypto free rest of the week :|

• Advertisement

All early indicators are we're on the big slide again today. Will it be compounded or improved upon after lunch when the U.S are online?
    Ethereum is putting up a good fight but yep, it seems everything is still affected by bitcoin dropping

Ethereum is putting up a good fight but yep, it seems everything is still affected by bitcoin dropping

Tax return season in the US. The marker will pick up in feb.

Time for a bit of a break from the market until mid feb I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Yelnahs wrote: »
    BTC down to $9,550 as of right now. Think I'll have a crypto free rest of the week :|
    The Indian annual budget was released in parliament this morning; in it was announced that Bitcoin will not be recognised as legal tender in the country.
    As it is,India accounts for 10% of global Bitcoin trade volume; the announcement will conceivably affect that market.

Unfortunately, it seems negative news is coming in waves this past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yelnahs wrote: »
    The Indian annual budget was released in parliament this morning; in it was announced that Bitcoin will not be recognised as legal tender in the country.
    As it is,India accounts for 10% of global Bitcoin trade volume; the announcement will conceivably affect that market.

Lol

Legal tender?

Give me a break. If that has truly affected the market then god help us as there must be a lot of ignorant people with vested money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Here is what was said.
    This is the original statement “The government does not consider cryptocurrencies as legal tender or coin and will take all measures to eliminate the use of these crypto assets in financing illegitimate activities or a part of the payment system.”

This basically means that you won't be able to buy any goods or services exchanging cryptos as it's not a 'legal tender' meanwhile you can keep trading them on exchanges.

They also said in the same speech that the government is exploring usage of Blockchain as a step forward towards Digital India. I guess why ETH is holding strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And how does anyone prevent the use of Bitcoin for transactions?

lawred2 wrote: »
    And how does anyone prevent the use of Bitcoin for transactions?

How does a country that wants to embrace Blockchain on the other hand look to be openly hostile towards the use of Crypto.

It is a load of rubbish that will blow over pretty quickly.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Lol

Give me a break. If that has truly affected the market then god help us as there must be a lot of ignorant people with vested money.
    Give you a break? Nobody, nor me, is going medieval on your ass. Don't shoot the messenger; take from the news whatever you may. The Indian bitcoin market is diving downwards as we speak.
    I will add in response to your second sentence quoted above that the market as a whole is smarter than you or me or any other individual on here.

These statements from governments just smack of a complete lack of understanding of the whole industry. It won't be the first time that this kind of fear has spooked the market only for it to be shown as irrational.

Think of when the car market was exploding and a government coming out saying we like cars but we don't like wheels. It is ****ing insane.

• Advertisement

These statements from governments just smack of a complete lack of understanding of the whole industry.
    I dunno, I am inclined to think that these governments understand very well the nature of crypto ............. or at least they recognise the potential of crypto to blow away their own established monetary systems. And they -- and their elite bankster cronies -- are scared.
    If I was the suspicious type, I would suspect that there is lately a co-ordinated attack on crypto by way of fearmongering, Fud, and outright lies, by governments across the world -- China, E.U., S. Korea, India, etc.

Advertisement