Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your wish list.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

896bet - forget the Nomos you need a stainless sports beater. I agree with Time a Blue dial AP is what you need and a chrono to complement you others. The JLC ultrathin is beautiful in pictures but its so so thin that whenever I tried it on I felt hugely underwhelming. The Rose and blue dial ALS above is really just your one in a different suit, not worth the upgrade. The Chrono ALS is a thing of immense beauty. The calatrava is not enough Patek for you. You really have painted yourself into a corner. :pac:

Tme - BB58 is a good watch and a good "holding watch" the rivets in the bracelet are not noticeable when its being worn, a tiny bit small for me I had the blue one. Hold value well enough but prices are dropping. The black one above would be my choice. The Cartier is cool. The Aquanaut dual time is very very special.

For me the grails are (which I will likely never get are).

1. Patek 5172G Chrono

5172G_001_1.jpg

2. ALS Zeitwerk

1522214.png?impolicy=cropresize&width=320&cropheight=600&cropwidth=370&type=normal

3. VC Overseas Perpetual Calander moonphase in gold

vacheron-constantin-overseas-qp-blue-dial-1.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fit=crop&w=820

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That ALS Zeitwerk is gorgeous. It has very much grown on me since reading about the minute repeater tradition. A genuine tool watch, albeit in a very different tradition.

Not that I'll ever be in the market for one...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Time wrote: »
    In that case it makes it a bit easier.

1) Tudor Black Bay 58 - almost 100% settled on this being my next purchase. Will get one with the extra strap pictured as i'm not a huge fan of the rivets in the bracelet. Makes for a nice everyday watch that can get a bit banged up without issue.

2) Aquanaut Dual Time - have it ordered so its just a waiting game.

3) Neither of the above are particularly dressy looking, so if i'll probably pick up a JLC Reverso (medium size so no sub dial) or a Cartier Tortue (below) to fill that. Both can be gotten at very reasonable prices second hand. But i'm only 34 so dressy isn't something i would have as a priority either.

4) As an alternative to the above i'd consider a Montblanc World Timer. Reminds me of the Patek version but at a fraction of the price. I've never tried one though so i suspect they'd be too big for my small wrists.
    -33130_image.jpg[/IMG]

The 58 seems to be a bit of darling these days. It’s good quality and looks a bargain against subs and planet oceans etc. I might have one incoming myself as a beater. Def looks the part on that nato.

If you get that Patek at retail given your “relatively” modest spend then you are a hero! You must know the managers wife and girlfriend! Aquanauts are effortless classy. Wear like a feather....deployant not the most comfortable IMO, infact bordering on uncomfortable and far to easy pop open itself from a combination of wrist angle movement and shirt or jumper cuff.

A world timer definitely interests me but are a little colourful. I am a fan of the Nomos world time (in midnight blue)

C06-BEE84-DD6-C-42-D0-A1-B3-019-A3-EBFE964.jpg

Cyrus wrote: »
    That rose gold als is a stunner 893

I assume you mean the first one and not the second?

It’s a limited edition of 50 pieces as part of a collaboration with Wempe, 25 in rose and 25 in white.

https://www2.wempe.com/en/watches/brands/a-lange-und-soehne/a-lange-und-soehne-sondermodell-1815

Fitz II wrote: »
    896bet - forget the Nomos you need a stainless sports beater. I agree with Time a Blue dial AP is what you need and a chrono to complement you others. The JLC ultrathin is beautiful in pictures but its so so thin that whenever I tried it on I felt hugely underwhelming.
    IMG]

Nomos can be the beater! Far too many sports watches around here!

Blue dial AP def a option at the right size and price.

I can see how the JLC can seem underwhelming, they are very slight. The gild grey case is a class above having handled both on the same day. I would still try a stainless one at the right price as long as I didn’t have to take a total bath on it.

The Rose and blue dial ALS above is really just your one in a different suit, not worth the upgrade. The Chrono ALS is a thing of immense beauty.

IMG]

I think I could make both work together. Same as people make subs, GMT’s, and deep seas work in the same collection.
    You really have painted yourself into a corner. :pac:
    #prayfor893bet
    For me the grails are (which I will likely never get are).

1. Patek 5172G Chrono

2. ALS Zeitwerk

3. VC Overseas Perpetual Calander moonphase in gold

IMG]

I think those are all achievable (not at the same time maybe) to you right now.

But......it would hurt and would mean rolling some pieces that might not be easily replaced without hurting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

I love that Nomos worldtime. I wasn't actually aware of it until seeing it on this thread. I certainly hope that they can be beaters because my toddler got a hold of mine this morning when I was in the shower and flaked it across the room.

It's funny that dress watches get so little love on here. A brand that I have been obsessing over the last while is Breguet. The level of craftsmanship that goes into their watches and dials is phenomenal. The below is the Breguet Classique Chronométrie 7727 which is a really special piece in my opinion. It's hard know where to start with it but it's 10hz which takes high beat to a whole different level. It also has some sort of magentic suspension system on the balance staff which I can't get my head around fully but sounds very innovative. In terms of the dial, the craftsmanship is mind blowing. The guilloché work has about 6 different patterns on a solid gold dial I believe. The lugs are welded on and the strap is screwed in rather than using springbars. It has that classic coin edge all around the case too. It's hard know of a brand that puts so much hand finishing into a watch to the extent that Breguet do for the money. I appreciate that it is not every ones cup of tea but its worth reading about. Breguet values really tank so is actually obtainable for me at some stage.

Breguet.jpg
    mother waddles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

redlead wrote: »
    I love that Nomos worldtime.
    +1 Nomos make some really nice pieces alright.
    It's funny that dress watches get so little love on here.
    I suppose trends come and go R. Back in the 80's and 90's tool watches were very much out of favour, dress watches were the thing, as were fancy complications. In the early days of interwebs watch discussion you'd certainly see far more Rolex Cellinis for example. Now there was always some interest in old stalwarts like Subs and Speedies throughout, but the values were lower as was overall demand. Gold seemed to start to decline as a material around 2000. Initially I reckon simply because the price differences at the time and you could get into a higher grade brand more cheaply by going for steel. For example if someone had said steel sports Rolex are sometimes going to trading in the grey market around the same price as gold examples you'd figure they were nuts. :D

The vintage market also followed that very closely. Tool and military watches were pretty much the niche, as were chronographs for the most part. Brands like IWC had been pushing their reimagined back catalogue of military tool watches from the late 90's, but even then in their catalogues the dress and complication angle was more prominent. The tool watch angle started to rise after 2000, some of it at least coming from the tool/military vintage market being "cool hunted" by more mainstream men's fashion outlets from around 2008, but really picking up momentum by 2010.

Fashion is most of it really. Watches became larger and larger and gold looked a bit too OTT in those sort of sizes, less "manly" or something. I can certainly see the dress watch trend coming back to some degree as people may get jaded and look to the next big thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

893bet wrote: »
    I assume you mean the first one and not the second?

It’s a limited edition of 50 pieces as part of a collaboration with Wempe, 25 in rose and 25 in white.

https://www2.wempe.com/en/watches/brands/a-lange-und-soehne/a-lange-und-soehne-sondermodell-1815

Yes the second a beauty !

I’ve nearly bought that world timer more than once as well it’s a nice looking watch at a relatively sensible price but I personally get far more wear out of sports watches which I don’t really class that as .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

redlead wrote: »
    I love that Nomos worldtime. I wasn't actually aware of it until seeing it on this thread. I certainly hope that they can be beaters because my toddler got a hold of mine this morning when I was in the shower and flaked it across the room.

It's funny that dress watches get so little love on here. A brand that I have been obsessing over the last while is Breguet. The level of craftsmanship that goes into their watches and dials is phenomenal. The below is the Breguet Classique Chronométrie 7727 which is a really special piece in my opinion. It's hard know where to start with it but it's 10hz which takes high beat to a whole different level. It also has some sort of magentic suspension system on the balance staff which I can't get my head around fully but sounds very innovative. In terms of the dial, the craftsmanship is mind blowing. The guilloché work has about 6 different patterns on a solid gold dial I believe. The lugs are welded on and the strap is screwed in rather than using springbars. It has that classic coin edge all around the case too. It's hard know of a brand that puts so much hand finishing into a watch to the extent that Breguet do for the money. I appreciate that it is not every ones cup of tea but its worth reading about. Breguet values really tank so is actually obtainable for me at some stage.
    The Breguet Classique is the nicest dress watch imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

1. Patek 5172G Chrono

That'd be achievable for you if you dropped a piece or two. Theres one sitting in Weirs at the moment, absolutely stunning piece on the wrist.
    893bet wrote: »
    The 58 seems to be a bit of darling these days. It’s good quality and looks a bargain against subs and planet oceans etc. I might have one incoming myself as a beater. Def looks the part on that nato.

You must know the managers wife and girlfriend! Aquanauts are effortless classy. Wear like a feather....deployant not the most comfortable IMO, infact bordering on uncomfortable and far to easy pop open itself from a combination of wrist angle movement and shirt or jumper cuff.

A world timer definitely interests me but are a little colourful. I am a fan of the Nomos world time (in midnight blue)

Decided today i'm ordering the BB58 Monday, if i grow tired of it i can get rid of it easily enough.

I don't know anyone so maybe i'm just lucky (or got the wrong info?) who knows, I tend to wear my watches loose so i'm not sure how that will affect the wear of it, I had heard (probably from you) that the clasp opens a little too easy alright.

Have to say the colour is what arracts me to the World Timers. The MB one in just blue tones wouldn't appeal to me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That'd be achievable for you if you dropped a piece or two. Theres one sitting in Weirs at the moment, absolutely stunning piece on the wrist.

Decided today i'm ordering the BB58 Monday, if i grow tired of it i can get rid of it easily enough.

I don't know anyone so maybe i'm just lucky (or got the wrong info?) who knows, I tend to wear my watches loose so i'm not sure how that will affect the wear of it, I had heard (probably from you) that the clasp opens a little too easy alright.

Have to say the colour is what arracts me to the World Timers. The MB one in just blue tones wouldn't appeal to me at all.

What colour dial is the 5172 in weirs ? And do you know what it retails at ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cyrus wrote: »
    What colour dial is the 5172 in weirs ? And do you know what it retails at ?

Cheers

They only come in blue afaik. The price is just under €70,000

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Passenger wrote: »
    Deep Sea James Cameron

maxresdefault.jpg
    unkel wrote: »
    Did you have to post that? Now I want one :(:D

I didn't realise I wanted this watch as long as 4 years ago, thanks for reviving the thread, 893bet!

Took me a while so, but I got what I wanted a few months back. Still wearing it 24/7. That's long for a honeymoon period. Maybe it's true love :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just feel like Rolex don't have enough text on the face... They could add a couple of paragraphs of Joyce for me to read while I'm on the jax...

That'd be achievable for you if you dropped a piece or two. There's one sitting in Weirs at the moment, absolutely stunning piece on the wrist.

Its scary level of a watch that patek. There are a few of my watches are like my children and I cannot sell as and after the latest cull I am down to the bare bones, so nothing left to sell.

I do have incoming that I hope will itch that scratch and is very special but there is always a more special watch. There is a sordid tale to my next watch I sill share once its all sorted.

Unkle - you are giving us a bit of a drought of photos on the DSSD, I am sure you phone is full of pics, at least a few must be in focus :)

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I just feel like Rolex don't have enough text on the face... They could add a couple of paragraphs of Joyce for me to read while I'm on the jax...

They have to let you know all the features that you'll never need. The more, the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cienciano wrote: »
    They have to let you know all the features that you'll never need. The more, the better.
    I like the writing I have to say. Maybe because it reminds me of the first watch I picked out for myself as a kid. :D

544445.jpg

The writing on the dial really appealed to me then, and tbh still does on the Rolexes that have it. It's kinda "their" thing and fair play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If watches could talk, I'd say that one would be calling social services on you Wibbs! 😉

Wibbs wrote: »
    I like the writing I have to say. Maybe because it reminds me of the first watch I picked out for myself as a kid. :D

The writing on the dial really appealed to me then, and tbh still does on the Rolexes that have it. It's kinda "their" thing and fair play.
    My first "real" watch has a really busy dial. The more shít on the dial, the better. And possibly the most amount of unnecessary features on here! Wouldn't be a fan of it now though, prefer a clean look. Still like a diver, just toned down

I too love a busy dial...I like the airking and the 5712. Give some people a headache. I think sometimes a very empty dial like the 3 hand Royal oak in the bigger size looks kinda empty

Rolex-Air-King-Ref-116900.jpg

patek-philippe-nautilus-mens-watch-5712-1a-5712-1a-001.jpg

Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Selfwinding-41mm-15500ST-SIHH-2019-10.jpg

• Advertisement

I too love a busy dial...I like the airking and the 5712. Give some people a headache. I think sometimes a very empty dial like the 3 hand Royal oak ]

The three handed royal oak is by far the nicest of those three in my opinion. The waffle dial is a feature in itself; its just a beautiful watch. The symmetry on that 5712 is just all wrong. I really don't like it. Horses for courses obviously. The Air King isn't really that busy to be fair. A Navitimer chrono, now that's busy!

I too like the RA. Very pretty watch indeed. The Patek... It's different and I like that. The Air King is nice too, I just have always had this inexplicable full on allergy of mercedes hands. Oddly, I love cathedral hands, which are very similar, but can't abide the mercedes hands on any watch. :confused:

As for a wish list. I've been looking for one of these for a very long time and when they come up(very rarely) I keep missing out.

The-Submarine-Commander-Collection-1917.jpg?resize=768%2C955&ssl=1

1917 "Submarine", retailed by an Edinburgh dealer to a request made by a couple of British navy submariners, who wanted a properly "waterproof" watch, with serious lume, that was also fully antimagnetic because of the large batteries fitted to subs for propulsion while submerged. It sealed by way of mechanical means and gaskets and was a very good solution, because unlike the later screwdown/levered crowns it could be worn and set without sacrificing integrity, or wear of threaded crown tubes(You'll never find an early pre auto Rolex Oyster that hasn't had a crown tube replaced). Tavannes made the case and the movement with no ferrous materials involved(the other way to go antimagnetic is with a Faraday cage setup). The balance assembly is of a patented nickel alloy IIRC that is non magnetic and adjusts for temperature. Even the hands weren't the usual steel, but black painted amagnetic brass with gobs of yummy radium, including the seconds hand lumed which you don't see from back then.

This would have been a big spend in resources for Tavennes and presumably they made enough to get some of their cash back, but they come up very very rarely.

Two years ago I missed out on the "other" one from the same time, the Fortis "Aquatic". Came up on ebay, got excited, figured because there's only a couple other known examples(and this was the only known one in silver) it would go for a fair whack, but was going to snipe a hail mary bid of 800 quid. Emergency life stuff got in the way and I forgot to check I'd actually entered the snipe. I thought I had. I hadn't. Went for 500. :mad::(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A Big Pilot has been on my wishlist for a number of years and was/is intended as my next watch purchase. However, I've been attracted to the new 41mm submariner recently and started considering setting up a fund for it... It seems that access to Rolex in the UK has blown open a little and is likely to get easier.

But tbh, with the state of the world right now, I might just use that cash for an investment... I don't need a new watch right now... The internal dialogue is endless ��

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs wrote: »
    A...with gobs of yummy radium...
    I'll have to start referring to you as Irish Godzilla :D
    I'd actually entered the snipe. I thought I had. I hadn't. Went for 500. :mad::(:(
    Ouch - I was been on both ends of sniping as a seller and buyer (seeing the price tick up in the last 20 seconds or missing out due to a last second higher bid).

Forgetting about the snip - if only you had an apple watch on your wrist to send you a reminder! :P

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I'll have to start referring to you as Irish Godzilla :D

I just have a mental image of that being a giant badger, snuffling about and just generally being badgery in a metropolis.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Two items on my wishlist currently.

Steinhart Ocean One 39 GMT. I don't have a GMT, I like the two tone bezel and no feckin' Merc hands.

Bm1-1551102269.jpg

Ball Roadmaster Icebreaker. A stupid name, yes, but there is something about the design that really does it for me.

NM9030-B-SC-BK-2-755x940.png

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Two items on my wishlist currently.

Steonhart Ocean One 39 GMT. I don't have a GMT, I like the two tone bezel and no feckin' Merc hands.
    That would be one of my fave Steinharts. It's more of its own watch rather than a homage.
    Ball Roadmaster Icebreaker. A stupid name, yes, but there is something about the design that really does it for me.
    Better than Ice Roadmaster Ballbreaker to be fair. :D Yeah, it's a nice looking watch alright.

That Ball is nice.
    I find some of their designs, er, challenging, but that's tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

For me it is a Seamaster Planet Ocean.

Most likely this version...

Omega57-Natural.jpg?auto=format&dpr=2.625&fit=max&fm=jpg&ixjsv=2.2.3&q=88&usm=12&ixlib=react-8.4.0

I'm waiting for the right time to pounce!

Advertisement