Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Gardening will not be Sean's thing, I fear he will doze off.

I nearly joined him for a quick shut eye - yawn :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Gardening will not be Sean's thing, I fear he will doze off.
    Do you know this, or are you supposing it on the basis of his history as a broadcaster? [Unavoidable pun: "broadcast" has a different meaning to gardeners and farmers.]

I'm interested to see how he deals with those areas that are outside his professional experience of dealing with hard news and conducting challenging interviews with people in political or public life.

[As an aside, I am fairly confident that Pat Kenny's first broadcasting gig was as a music presenter. In recent years, some of the programme content that people least liked was when he dealt with music.]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

First Up wrote: »
    RTE daytime schedule:

7-9; Heckling of politicians
    9-10 Miriam being coy
    10-12 More heckling of politicians
    12-13 Music my dad likes
    13-13.45 More heckling
    13.45 - 15 Whining
    15-16.30 Birds n stuff
    16.30 - 19 Heckling

That made me laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

First Up wrote: »
    RTE daytime schedule:

7-9; Heckling of politicians
    9-10 Miriam being coy
    10-12 More heckling of politicians
    12-13 Music my dad likes
    13-13.45 More heckling
    13.45 - 15 Whining
    15-16.30 Birds n stuff
    16.30 - 19 Heckling

Very good First! :D Though 15-16.30 could perhaps be rendered as "Eurovision, Louis Walsh, birds n stuff"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I didn't get to hear SOR's program yet. Any sign yet of MLOD or Paddy and his dog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

O'Rourke and Des ( Sports) had a big argument 'off air' and that 'gets leaked' to the papers ...

Are they heading down the road of staged PR to get a few headlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

LeakyGee wrote: »
    O'Rourke and Des ( Sports) had a big argument 'off air' and that 'gets leaked' to the papers ...

Are they heading down the road of staged PR to get a few headlines?

Darren Frehill on sport today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What happened? Did Des try to make a Hammer of SO'R?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Maybe Sean O'Rourke took umbrage that Des still hasn't changed his Bio on his Twitter account ...

Des Cahill, RTE
    @sportsdes
    RTE Sports broadcaster. Any opinon expressed is probably Pat Kenny's!!

http://twitter.com/sportsdes

That was a very woolly interview with Claire Grady - odd to interview a newspaper editor & not even raise the Irish Times "non story"! :confused:

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    That was a very woolly interview with Claire Grady ...
    She agreed to do an interview, and then clearly set out to tell us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

She agreed to do an interview, and then clearly set out to tell us nothing.
    I see a very promising career for her in politics so.:rolleyes:

Peter Power Exec Dir of UNICEF .... isn't it great how all these failed politicians can get themselves set up in well paying "jobs":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Please let it not be Cathal mac couoiliilileeee for prime time !

Oops69 wrote: »
    Please let it not be Cathay mac couoiliilileeee for prime time !

Maybe it's going to be Des Cahill. It would explain why he wasn't doing the sports news at 11 ;)

Oops69 wrote: »
    Please let it not be Cathal mac couoiliilileeee for prime time !

The Irish Independent have jumped the gun on this one ...

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/david-mccullagh-named-as-new-presenter-on-rtes-primetime-29551342.html
    David McCullagh has been unveiled as the new presenter on RTE’s flagship current affairs series ‘Primetime’.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Phew, can't stand dev juniors soul brother , mc cullagh is nice and sarcastic !

David McCullagh for Primetime ... lovely & the distinguished bit of grey & I love the sarky smirk he gives at times :)

Ace Ventura sounded a lot more lively in the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

2znvj95.jpg
    Sounds like Kenny was content to suffer his lazy journalism but O'Rourke is calling his slot out for what it is.

• Advertisement

califano wrote: »
    2znvj95.jpg
    Sounds like Kenny was content to suffer his lazy journalism but O'Rourke is calling his slot out for what it is.
    How does it sound like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

califano wrote: »
    2znvj95.jpg

He is painful to listen to.
    Only RTE would give him a job.

MLOD alert! She's back on the show today :(

Just chucked by weetabix :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Switches over during ad break....

:eek: MLOD alert :eek:

Back to Pat! :p

edit, I didn't even see Harry's post above. Clearly issuing an alert is the instinctive reaction to O'Donnell.

Urrrgh. Does anybody in the country actually enjoy her egotistical nonsensical ramblings?

One of PK's features which should have been quietly dropped when Sean came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Makes ya wonder if she was inflicted upon him by his production team ( who prob got taught by her in uni ) .

I'll admit one of my fears on the switch was is be fecking exposed to her on newstalk :)

Looks like she's Seans prob now

Very interesting discussion re Chuck Feeney - an amazing man & interesting how he fought off the "personal empire builders" of the Charity business. Fascinating interview (and I dam near missed it because of MLOD, just changed back on time).

Please, please RTE get rid of that egotistical mouthpiece :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

a bollocks i missed that.

must stream it later. i think the "charity" industry gets a soft ride by our media set by dint of its subject matter. when ya scratch the surface theres a shed load of cash sloshing about and all the lads at the top somehow seem to end up being the best paid people in the country

(even the chuggers get stupid money)

• Advertisement

a bollocks i missed that.

must stream it later. i think the "charity" industry gets a soft ride by our media set by dint of its subject matter. when ya scratch the surface theres a shed load of cash sloshing about and all the lads at the top somehow seem to end up being the best paid people in the country

(even the chuggers get stupid money)

I recently read The Punishment of Virtue by former NPR reporter Sarah Chayes it's about Afghanistan post Taliban - a very, very interesting book but one of the issues she covers at length is that issue of where donated monies are assigned by NGO's & the criteria they use. In most cases it appeared to be projects that were convenient for the NGO staff, accessable to airports & proximity to large urban centres that has western style restaurants etc
    She also makes much of NGO staff flouting local customs re alchohol etc
    She is quite scathing of them really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement