Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8Radio

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I'm late to the 8Radio party, just discovered them a couple of days ago (thanks to this thread)!

Sounds like a test transmission at the moment, without any adverts or guests which is nice, but I guess that will have to change at some point in order to generate revenue.

Nowadays I listen to all radio broadcasts exclusively on internet based devices, whether it be at home on my Roberts 93i (with 40 presets), or via my smart phone app in the car (plugged into the stereo).

What's available on FM or AM doesn't concern me anymore :)

I hope 8Radio takes off and finds its niche in the great big radio jungle, currently I am impressed with their choice of music (I'm in my 50s) so It's doing alright so far....as long as it's not too much predictable 80s chart 'musac' which seems to be rampant on many other Irish radio stations, then it should be fine.

As a radio buff, I wish it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its been on line for a good while now mate....they get a chance at weekends on FM every few months....wish it was EVERY weekend tbh...good luck Simon..;)

• Wish it was available on FM in the NW!

Wish it was available on FM in the NW!

Some day mate...some day....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I just thought I should mention Anne-Marie Walsh, who is playing a great selection of music this evening. She even played my request: Monster by The Automatic! She is one of the many unsung heroes of this station. No relation, by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I just thought I should mention Anne-Marie Walsh, who is playing a great selection of music this evening. She even played my request: Monster by The Automatic! She is one of the many unsung heroes of this station. No relation, by the way!

I loved that Monster song as an 11 or 12 year old.

Plenty of great music all weekend...long may it last....pity the frequency is left vacant all week...seems such a waste...mad:

Big tanx to all the gang for the last few weekends of great music on the wireless.....hope it comes around again real soon.....;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's a sickening feeling, getting into the car on a Monday morning, having left the radio on 105.2 the night before.

It's a sickening feeling, getting into the car on a Monday morning, having left the radio on 105.2 the night before.

That white noise is better than most other stations on air tbh....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Missed having it on in the car today. Was great to have it back on FM again. Hope it comes back soon.

Missed having it on in the car today. Was great to have it back on FM again. Hope it comes back soon.

Yeah...makes you want to drive into someone in anger.....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

Really missing 8 Radio on the FM band hopefully they will be back soon !

Really missing 8 Radio on the FM band hopefully they will be back soon !

I like listening on line but i miss a human voice......:o

Apparently, former Phantom FM presenter Jack Hyland has cropped up on 8Radio recently. I heard him on Radio Nova yesterday afternoon.

Apparently, former Phantom FM presenter Jack Hyland has cropped up on 8Radio recently. I heard him on Radio Nova yesterday afternoon.

Imagine if Jack, Simon, Pearl etc all got jobs on nova in place of the current unbearable lot...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Back next weekend......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

I was listening on FM on Sunday afternoon heading from Dundalk to Dublin. The female presenter volume was very low compared to the music and sounded like she was far away from the Mike with no bass. It seemed quite bad from my point of view. The music choice was brilliant and the presenter herself seemed good, although the filler content could need some work, like an ad saying download our app, listen on FM, followed by a presenter repeating same information. I understand they have a limited window of time each weekend to try drive listeners to their online offering, However a bit more chat about the music, presenters coming up, the start and finish dates of airtime, etc. If they cannot get the presenter audio sorted, possibly due to presenters working from home, they should prerecord their slots and insert them. While I don't like prerecorded presenters on radio, it allows the content to be checked and improved and less random rambling etc.

I hope to listed on FM all this weekend and I must add this to my internet radio favourites. I had the app on my phone but I tend to mostly listen in the car.

One of the great things about 8Radio.com is the way it gives new talent a chance. Other than those who came through Phantom/TX FM, there are a lot of presenters I had never heard of before 8Radio.com. I gather that they would have come through a combination of community stations, college stations and the music business. It is great experience for some who may want to pursue a fulltime career in broadcasting. One thing that all the presenters of the station have in common, regardless of their previous experience, is their enthusiasm and passion for the music they play. That's great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Unfortunately, there’s very little opportunity in the commercial radio sector. If you do manage to get a gig, it will only be a matter of time before the joy is sucked out of it when you're reduced to pre scripted links and inane banter. Better off staying with 8Radio and similar stations where you can at least put your talents to good use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement