Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

• 03-01-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭littlevillage

No actual recommendations ....but just getting this Thread for 2019 started.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Asher Wooden Coupon

RGSE, solar shingle and traditional solar company. Trading at $.52, holding long here.

NIO, currently trading at $6.11, big drop since IPO day at over $9.

I think 2019 will continue to be a very turbulent year for the S&P favourites.

In a dream world, I would like to get in on AAPL @ $100, FB @ $100, and BA @ $230 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Davy Stock Brokers investment advice for 2019.

"Concerns about a slowdown in the Irish economy resulted in a significant derating in the valuation of Irish stocks – in excess of that experienced across wider
    European markets. This has created a number of very attractive investment
    opportunities in the Irish market for 2019, including

Bank of Ireland,
    Glenveagh Properties,
    Green REIT,
    Dalata Hotel Group,
    Irish Continental Group,
    Cpl Resources,
    Applegreen
    Grafton Group.

Note - Political uncertainty in the UK will continue to drive asset price volatility until Brexit is resolved"

*All these companies are buying various services from Davy so advice should be taken with pinch of salt :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭scheister

bcklschaps wrote: »

"Concerns about a slowdown in the Irish economy resulted in a significant derating in the valuation of Irish stocks – in excess of that experienced across wider

Bank of Ireland,
    Glenveagh Properties,
    Green REIT,
    Dalata Hotel Group,
    Irish Continental Group,
    Cpl Resources,
    Applegreen
    Grafton Group.

Note - Political uncertainty in the UK will continue to drive asset price volatility until Brexit is resolved"

*All these companies are buying various services from Davy so advice should be taken with pinch of salt :-)

3 of these are in my portfolio as it is.

BOI fell around 30% in value last year so I can see why it might be a nice time to buy them but think brexit will be an issue here as i understand they have large exposure in the UK.

Applegreen finished the year up 10% but had a fall from 6.62 a share when they came back post merger (28 september) to finish the year on 6 a share.

Green fell 13.57% last year not the worst of the REITs Hiberna fell 18%. Think Green have some building due to finish this year and next i would see them as value but as a hold share for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Yesterday was great for VKTX and VSTM ....need a few more days like that, to try to get back into the green.

Whats happening with A40 ? is it offically trading yet on the ASX ?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

A40 is in trading halt until the 7th, they're not fully sure why, something to do with arrangements with an offtake partner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yesterday was great for VKTX and VSTM ....need a few more days like that, to try to get back into the green.

I’d suggest you change the thread title to something like ‘betting on penny stocks’ or ‘trading on the kerb’ as that is what this is.

Put your money in this kind of crap and that is exactly where you will end up in the long term - in the red. Your stocks have no history, are easily manipulated and in the event of one doing well it can easily be acquired before you get full value. And of course even when one does do well it will do little to advance your wealth as you will have too many other penny stocks in the portfolio to consume the gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Staying away from UK/Irl stocks until Brexit has sorted itself out unless something seems extreme value.

My picks for the new year:

NOK, was $5.57 at close 03/01 (no current holdings, currently trading in an upwards channel with strong prospects, particularly in 5G space), looking for an entry around $5.40)

MU was $31.00 at close 03/01 (bought some at xmas at $29.01) - long term hold, memory prices low and expected to remain until second half this year, 3D XPoint looks very interesting. Market may have oversold to current levels. $31 area held strongly yesterday despite AAPL (which is a major customer) approx 10% fall.

UNFI was $11.00 at close 03/01, previously bought at $9.98 and sold (mistakenly) at $10.35, looking for reentry on this (technical analysis based), monitoring, may to have bottomed out as massive volume spike at last drop, fundamentals look solid seems to have be wildly oversold (IMO)

CLF ($7.63 at close 03/01), TA shows it trading in a downward channel since September however that channel is close to the longer term upward trend line (since 2016), Trump's dealings with China may well have a big bearing on it, from a TA point of view its interesting to watch.

Overall a lot will depend on the orange faced one's antics this year of course.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Fair play OP for starting the topic. I notice though that you aren't giving us the benefit of your own wisdom, leaving it to us other mugs to put our head on the block.

Anyway here's my guesses, all to make 10% at some stage during the year - should have done this yesterday when the target looked more achievable given today's green.

SAN.MC €4.10 (Target €4.51)
    BUR.L £15.78 (Target £17.36)
    MONC.MI €28.37 (Target €31.21)
    RYA €10.41 (Target €11.46)
    VOO $224.50 (Target $246.95)

A few of these will pay better than banks by way of dividend while I'm chewing the nails waiting.

Risks
    Brexit
    Yellow man and his mate in the Korean peninsula
    The Ruskies & Ukranians
    Known & Unknown Unknowns

Good luck to all for 2019, hopefully it will be better than 2018 from a stock market point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Just started investing towards the last quarter of last year, so just like buying my house in 2008 I have impeccable timing for making investments.

So far I'm in,
    3KF
    PAVM
    RGSE
    RYA

I'm hoping to pick up some,
    APL
    FB
    JD
    BOI

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Fair play OP for starting the topic. I notice though that you aren't giving us the benefit of your own wisdom, leaving it to us other mugs to put our head on the block.

Yeah something like that. :D

Honestly, I'm sitting on my hands at present waiting for the dust to settle during this current bout of volatility. I have no particular stock picks...but these are my thoughts (distilled down from numerous sources, soo not just me looking at tea leaves) on the market in general.

Short term (between now and end of March) I think this might be a decent period of buying opportunites as I think when any kind of white smoke on a trade deal between US/China appears we will see big gains on US indices. A deal WILL be done and probably inside 6 months.

Also some kind of a fudge deal on Brexit will be made (even if the fudge is basically, the whole thing being postponed) which will see a serious bounce on FTSE & ISEQ (Mar/Apr)

Long term though (6+ months) , I would worry that stock markets in general are overpriced and will fall back to probably finish 2019 somewhere around where they are today or maybe a few % lower.

Instead of giving recommendations these are my most recent buy/sell transactions (in Month of December). Read into them what you will :P I basically took profits (in the case of Aryzta & Malin accepted the loss) and re-invested into what I deemed to be better value companies with good dividend cover or oversold.

Sold these

Aryzta iseq
    Glanbia iseq
    Malin iseq
    Albemarle nyse

And bought these

Abbey iseq
    Dalata iseq
    Smurfit iseq
    Mondi ftse
    Aviva ftse

And lo and behold all my recent purchases are nicely in the green as of COB today which is a pleasant change :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Green across the board today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I would avoid the ISEQ like the plague until environment improves. Very exposed to Brexit and US market problems.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

bcklschaps wrote: »

Bank of Ireland,
    Glenveagh Properties,
    Green REIT,
    Dalata Hotel Group,
    Irish Continental Group,
    Cpl Resources,
    Applegreen
    Grafton Group.

Glenveagh published today that they now have a landbank capable of delivering 11,850 units but they plan on building 725 in 2019, which is almost triple the 275 sales completed in 2018. Am I the only one that finds the amount of land they are taking on daft compared with the delivery of units? And that's assuming they are able to deliver the 725 units in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Diairist

As described, Glenveagh makes no sense. Are the other big builders doing the same? Is the problem getting planning permission or are they planning for a future bubble?

HTB isn't working - the journal says half don't proceed. Applicant either can't afford to buy new or they try for a 2nd hand house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Diairist wrote: »
    As described, Glenveagh makes no sense. Are the other big builders doing the same? Is the problem getting planning permission or are they planning for a future bubble?

HTB isn't working - the journal says half don't proceed. Applicant either can't afford to buy new or they try for a 2nd hand house.

I'd guess they don't want to build a lot of houses in case they would bring selling prices down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

marno21 wrote: »
    Glenveagh published today that they now have a landbank capable of delivering 11,850 units but they plan on building 725 in 2019, which is almost triple the 275 sales completed in 2018. Am I the only one that finds the amount of land they are taking on daft compared with the delivery of units? And that's assuming they are able to deliver the 725 units in 2019.
    Probably just tying up land so no else can build on it but they're still ramping up their capacity to actually build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,044 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Going to call Peugeot at current price it's the lower end of analysts forecasts, tipped it early last year and it did well then fell off a cliff to current levels. Target of €25. Annual results 26 Feb. Q3 showed good growth and the share price trend is pointing up. 5% gain last 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭scheister

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I'd guess they don't want to build a lot of houses in case they would bring selling prices down.

I would agree with this. Normally you would look at selling more stock at lower price and see if it is more profitable then small sales at higher price.
    The issue here would could flooding the market with new houses and make the margin to small to make it worth selling the housing.

On another side could it be a case they dont have the staff to build the larger quantity of housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Asher Wooden Coupon

So we are well and truly into the January Rally, most of my watchlist up almost 10% in the past 10 days.

Still reckon we aren't far off a 20% drop in the short term.

Anyone short anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    SAN.MC €4.10 (Target €4.51)
    BUR.L £15.78 (Target £17.36)
    MONC.MI €28.37 (Target €31.21)
    RYA €10.41 (Target €11.46)
    VOO $224.50 (Target $246.95)

First one in, after 5 days

MONC.MI €28.37 (Target €31.21) - Reached €31.67 today

Mixed bag with the rest so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Underground

Dalata has climbed nicely for me in the last two weeks or so, up about 10%. That being said, I'm not touching anything else on the ISEQ.

Dalata has climbed nicely for me in the last two weeks or so, up about 10%. That being said, I'm not touching anything else on the ISEQ.

Yeah got in on Dalata myself there in Nov. Happy enough with progress so far :o

Got out of IFG today at €1.61 made a small profit (think it could be a major casuality of a messy Brexit)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

canonball5 wrote: »
    Just started investing towards the last quarter of last year, so just like buying my house in 2008 I have impeccable timing for making investments.

So far I'm in,
    3KF
    PAVM
    RGSE
    RYA

I'm hoping to pick up some,
    APL
    FB
    JD
    BOI

Anyone in Pavm is in for a bad day today. Carpx delayed again, FDA requires clinical study.

Down 30% premarket

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Anyone in Pavm is in for a bad day today. Carpx delayed again, FDA requires clinical study.

Down 30% premarket

Just as i was about to be back in the green with them too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PlanBee

Down 30% premarket

pavm is a penny stock, better avoid to trade it, just imho

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Down 30% premarket

Hope nobody got robbed in that s/l raid on really no news. Lost the 15% it had gained in the run up in the end, mainly from people hoping for immediate approval which was unlikely. They have another device with double the potential market to carpx due to have news end of this month.
    Provided they can start generating some kind of revenue stream where they don’t have to do an offering they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

BLUE $117.34
    ORTX $14.26

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PlanBee

My picks at least for a month:

UAA $ 19.67
    HP $ 53.43

cefh17 wrote: »
    A40 is in trading halt until the 7th, they're not fully sure why, something to do with arrangements with an offtake partner

A40 traded last night on ASX, probably Monday night as well. Down almost 12% though to $AUD 0.225 :(

I suppose a bit of a negative correction to start with was inevitable due to the large number of shares that would be sloushing around waiting to be sold after the merger ....so this correction is strictly a technical overhang thing that will be sorted out after a few trading sessions. I wonder in fact is this a good time to buy some more ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Jasiah Tight Geese

Datalex... wow :eek: More to drop I would imagine. Did Mr. Kennedy know what was going on before he jumped ship late last year? Burning through their cash, you'd wonder have they ever made any money?

Advertisement