Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project 2022

• 07-05-2020 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea how Trinity's Project 2022 is coming along? I'm doing some tracing and trying to track down C19 censuses. I know they were destroyed in 1922 but if there were any copies of the 1831, 41, 51 census around they'd fill in a lot of my gaps.

Also did anyone know if any accessible, physical copies of marriages exist in Werburgh St that haven't been uploaded yet?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

We have some other threads here and in the History forum if you do a search, but essentially no. They've been short on detail.

I seriously doubt there's any caches of significant census material not uncovered.

Details for what exists for Werburgh St can be found on the RCBL parish register list.
    https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

<I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea how Trinity's Project 2022 is coming along? I'm doing some tracing and trying to track down C19 censuses. I know they were destroyed in 1922 but if there were any copies of the 1831, 41, 51 census around they'd fill in a lot of my gaps.>

You're probably already aware that any surviving copies of census records are on the NAI census site - just click on the year box. It would be a miracle if any other census records survive unless someone was walking past a skip when the Archives were turfing out the paper copies in the 1910s.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

KildareFan wrote: »
    <I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea how Trinity's Project 2022 is coming along? I'm doing some tracing and trying to track down C19 censuses. I know they were destroyed in 1922 but if there were any copies of the 1831, 41, 51 census around they'd fill in a lot of my gaps.>

You're probably already aware that any surviving copies of census records are on the NAI census site - just click on the year box. It would be a miracle if any other census records survive unless someone was walking past a skip when the Archives were turfing out the paper copies in the 1910s.

But the 1831, 41, 51 could be in the burned and shrivelled-up remnants. I'd be surprised if much of these could be reconstructed by 2022. However, there are some transcribed extracts in north Tipperary in NLI manuscripts which have been useful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

There's a tonne of 19th Century census substitutes out there, a ridiculous amount. What would be great is if they were all on one website, or at the very least the paper records were in one building. We all know about the most common ones i.e. Griffiths, Tithe Applottments, church records etc but what about Estate Records or School rolls for example? That's just the tip of the iceberg. You can't recreate census records that were destroyed but they could compile any and all substitutes into a one stop shop. That would be worth doing. Is the will there? Or the money? Not for me to say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Constructing a newbie-friendly record set from all the various estate papers would require a substantial amount of time and effort by - at the very least - experienced amateurs, if not professional genealogists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 droimlis

mod9maple wrote: »
    There's a tonne of 19th Century census substitutes out there, a ridiculous amount. What would be great is if they were all on one website, or at the very least the paper records were in one building. We all know about the most common ones i.e. Griffiths, Tithe Applottments, church records etc but what about Estate Records or School rolls for example? That's just the tip of the iceberg. You can't recreate census records that were destroyed but they could compile any and all substitutes into a one stop shop. That would be worth doing. Is the will there? Or the money? Not for me to say.

I thought the project was reconstructing records from copies which at the time would have been given to other Institutions around the world? could it be possible that those census records exist in a British library or the Vatican library? ....probably not as I'm sure we would have heard about them by now if they were

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It is about finding resources in other libraries but I seriously doubt there'll be any census records.

I've mentioned before I know Strokestown has copies of their 1841/51 census returns because the local post office borrowed the originals and copied when the OAP came in, to assist with local applications.

The coordination that would be required to source, collate and digitise estate records (in multiple different repositories) or school records (in the attics of past principals/county archive/old cupboards in the school) is just not there. The will or the money either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

I think most of the records in other archives, e.g. London etc, relating to the Irish census returns will consist of reports and statistics, some of these were published and others available already on Dippam/EPPI

Advertisement