Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there Poor Countries?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

India certainly isn't a poor country but it has high levels of poverty, stuff you wouldn't believe

South Africa is not a poor country yet just outside Cape Town with its vast wealth are tens of thousands living in tin huts on the side of the motorway.

USA is not a poor country but you have big areas of major hubs now tent cities

Brazil is not a poor country but you have tens of thousands living in thrown up buildings on a hill overlooking 5 star hotels and high end apartments
    Sonny678 wrote: »
    Irelands transformation in a generation is unreal. The rise of people's income in 30 years has been quite dramatic. The cost of property, cost of living has improved dramatically. In Britian peoples wages have increased very little in the last 30 years , in Ireland they have risen substantially.

No question. My mother born in 1951 frequently talks about growing up in a two room (not two bedroom) thatched house with 5 siblings, no water, no electricity in west Roscommon. They are building houses as big as the White House in that area these days with 3-4 cars sitting outside

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm not sure how "strongman leadership" is defined. I advocate structuring institutions and the constitution such that no one person can abuse their power, to the detriment of society.

...and you re advocating for an American type system!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    According to data, just as productive as the rest of us, it's clearly obvious they were thrown under the bus to protect plutocratic interests, particularly of European financial institutions, similar to ourselves, but more so

What data?

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭Annurca Apples

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...and you re advocating for an American type system!

Where do you see the contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

rossie1977 wrote:
    No question. My mother born in 1951 frequently talks about growing up in a two room (not two bedroom) thatched house with 5 siblings, no water, no electricity in west Roscommon. They are building houses as big as the White House in that area these days with 3-4 cars sitting outside

That was the norm back then. 6 or 7 or 8 siblings in one house( two room, one bedroom house ) was normal, no running water, no electricity, outside tiolet and very little money. If anything many people lived in much worse conditions. Regards now , liam Gallagher tells a story when he goes to visit his relatives in Mayo he says they all have houses bigger then his back in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    How could 90% of people be unemployed, surely subsistence farming is a common feature?

Sorry - I meant the capital city of Niamey.

In the countryside, they are running subsistence farms. Drought and famine are common.

In the city, the family tend to be dependent on a single breadwinner.

90% still seems incredible in the capital city

Advertisement