Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why arent many female comedians funny ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Deirdre O'Kane was never really a comedian. She wanted to be an actor and couldn't get work doing it. She then turned to stand up and because there were practically no women she would get invited to be part of shows. Painfully unfunny and just like somebody down the pub telling a story and thinking everyone thinks she is funny.

Saw her at a comedy show once. She asks did anyone see "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" where the guy got the first question wrong. The crowd said yes but she decided to tell us what we had seen. Long drawn out version of events with vague impressions thrown in. Nobody laughed or even chuckled. Normally feel bad for a performer to die on stage like that but she was told we all saw it and she decided to proceed.

She was at least funny on Moon Boy but she was never a good stand up and only got known because she was female. Caught a bit of the show last night and she sees herself as some great comedy icon who made a path for others. Doesn't look that way to me more like people made exceptions for her because they wanted to have female comedians on the roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Whatever about the rest of them..We can surely all agree that that O Kane one is definitely not funny..

I remember liking her in Moonboy, she can be a funny actor sometimes.

Those appliances delivered ads are RAPIDLY eroding any goodwill I have towards her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think women can be equally as funny as men but maybe the stand up cock waving style doesn't really suit them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Weak.
    Asking if people were "triggered" and "ok hun" twice. Someone with such a terrible sense of humour themselves clearly aren't capable of appreciating good comedy. Like when a dog tries to listen to Beethoven.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Alison Spittle did a quick show in the entertainment tent at the races in Leopardstown last Christmas. I had half a dozen pints down the hatch at that stage, but I found her self-deprecating humour to be funny.

Plus, she really seems to annoy losers on the internet who proclaim to somehow be an expert on comedy, yet wouldn’t know comedy if it hit them in the face with an oversized frying pan.

true, i think when posters focus on her appearance so much they're opinion doesn't hold any ...er weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

there are certainly funny women. both stand up and writing.

however i do kind of buy into the notion of "being funny" as being more necessary for men than for women, evolutionarily speaking.

Being funny not only can get a man noticed by women who may not otherwise take notice but can also enable him to get himself out of physical confrontation with men who he could not compete with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Asking if people were "triggered" and "ok hun" twice. Someone with such a terrible sense of humour themselves clearly aren't capable of appreciating good comedy. Like when a dog tries to listen to Beethoven.

Why are you suddenly obsessed with me ??? :eek:

I wasn't trying to be funny ……

*tumbleweed

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Yeah, I dunno, I saw some of her on the late late show at some stage.. fair bad..

But as for funny women..the blond one on parks and recreation..Tina Fey..Mindy Kaling..Ellie Kemper.. Kristen Schall.. Eliza Schlesinger.. Kate Micucci..

So there's a few..I dunno, maybe it's not for Irish women.. There's probably a tendency to go for tired period and sex jokes too, so a lot of that probably hasn't been funny since the 90s, and can very quickly come across as just crass..

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I like Aisling Bea, Ellie Taylor, and Sara Pascoe.

I don't agree that women comedians are not as funny as men - some are truly terrible but that is true of men as well. Gender and sex don't determine whether someone is funny.

Earthhorse wrote: »

Tbh, the life of an actress, producer, writer (like Sharon Horgan's) isn't much better. I think it's more to do with what another poster said about the level of laughing at yourself that men do vs women. Just my own opinion, of course, and impossible to prove, it'll be interesting to see what the next generation of women stand ups are like and whether they change in this regard.

Yeah I remember reading an interview with Rachel Bloom, didn't have kids, her husband was in the bizz too, she was living in the city where she was shooting...and they ended up just building her a pretend hotel room on set so she could sleep there and not get depressed feeling like she was living in her trailer :pac: Mind you as well as writing, directing and starring, she also had a song and dance number to contend with most weeks.

The laughing at yourself thing is interesting, imo each gender tends to think their own is the more self deprecating or able to laugh at themselves.

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Why are you suddenly obsessed with me ??? :eek:

*tumbleweed

Ok, taking you at your word, genuine question then, when you say "you triggered" and "you ok hon", what are you trying to do? Is it a genuine attempt at making some kind of serious point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

loalae wrote: »
    I like Aisling Bea, Ellie Taylor, and Sara Pascoe.

I don't agree that women comedians are not as funny as men - some are truly terrible but that is true of men as well. Gender and sex don't determine whether someone is funny.

It does though. Men tend to be funnier than women, or that is the case if you're watching comedy as a man. Which is ok. There's loads of shít that men tend to be terrible at that women are really good at. A lot of those attributes seem to involve not having an overwhelming desire to destroy the planet in the pursuit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

greenspurs wrote: »

Oh that was very obvious.

Ooh, Fern Brady, I'm going to see her next month, she's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah, I dunno, I saw some of her on the late late show at some stage.. fair bad..

But as for funny women..the blond one on parks and recreation..Tina Fey..Mindy Kaling..Ellie Kemper.. Kristen Schall.. Eliza Schlesinger.. Kate Micucci..

So there's a few..I dunno, maybe it's not for Irish women.. There's probably a tendency to go for tired period and sex jokes too, so a lot of that probably hasn't been funny since the 90s, and can very quickly come across as just crass..
    41c066550db008dbd5611cb2667285b9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

If we must split comedians by gender, comedians I don't find funny at all are in my opinion, in fact i would consider it torture to have to listen to any of them.

Female:
    Alison Spittle
    Maura Higgins
    Deidre O Kane
    Roisin Conaty
    Jo Brand

Male:
    Byrne (both of them)
    Josh Widdicombe
    Al Murray
    Des Bishop
    Jimmy Carr
    Michael Mc Intyre
    David O Doherty

I'm sure there are others I just can't think of but after that its a mixture of okay up to comic genius.

Gay comedians aren't funny either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

They prefer the term Gaymedians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You obviously never watched Pam Ayres.

Now she was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Larry Dean is fairly gas.

There's plenty of good female comedians. At her best Tina Fey can't be touched at the kind of comedy she does. I agree many of those currently being pushed by RTE are dire, but I've felt that about the male ones it pushes for years and I'd say most people have too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Forgot the 2 women on The Mash Report, they are brilliant. Rachel Parris and Ellie Taylor.

And Joe Lycett is gay and hilarious. Gaylarious?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

What about Al Porter????

Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Just listening to Miranda Hart. *ha ha* excellent!

I will also always carry a flag for Nina Conti, - quirky, clever, uncomfortable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Just listening to Miranda Hart. *ha ha* excellent!

I will also always carry a flag for Nina Conti, - quirky, clever, uncomfortable...
    Yeah Nina Conti is really good too, very talented the way she literally controls so many people at once. Absolute ride of a woman too in my humble opinion.

Wanda Sykes is an excellent comedian too. I saw her stand up lately, excellent physical comedic parts to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ok, taking you at your word, genuine question then, when you say "you triggered" and "you ok hon", what are you trying to do? Is it a genuine attempt at making some kind of serious point?

Sarcastic, or maybe genuine concern ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Wanda Sykes is an excellent comedian too. I saw her stand up lately, excellent physical comedic parts to it.
    Ooh, careful. You'll have the incels on here slagging her off doubly because of her race, whether they would admit to it or not.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Ooh, careful. You'll have the incels on here slagging her off doubly because of her race, whether they would admit to it or not.

Jackpot time for the many of the pale, stale males that inhabit this place.

Cranking themselves off around the clock because they've no luck with the ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Women comedians are very touchy. Look how Dawn French reacted to Pat Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In order to be really funny comedians must be able to laugh at themselves, appear to be stupid, or inept, and be the butt of the joke.
    Male comedians seem to find this easier to do than female comedians. Most of the females that I have seen seem to want to prove how clever they and many are blatantly sexist, (e.g. Jo Brand).

In order to be *really* funny you have to be self deprecating? Depends on your taste in humour I suppose but to say female comedians aren't self depricating enough is complete bs. I'm guessing you don't even try to give female comedians a chance.

Advertisement