Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Our biggest problem is the the wife's parents. They are constantly buying toys- not us.

My boyfriends mom just accepts any old rubbish from anyone and tries to pawn it off on us, bless her. She still has 3 old baby baths in her house. We got our one from her but it's long gone now. If we have another one we know where to go :D. Luckily we moved house last year so that was my excuse before, we'll just have to pack it and that's a pain. She's learning now but to be honest, I don't want to insult her or hurt her feelings because she's an absolute angel, I love her so so much and would be lost without her.

But ya, my personal favourite is all the DVDs and CDs she kindly dumps on us, even though we don't have CD or DVD players :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Oh life would be so pretty if it was that simple. Just teach people to do right things and voilà, everything is done right. I think whenever you can actually achieve something good it's something to be immensely grateful for, that you have had strength, opportunities, health, some help, whatever, to have this good outcome.. my house is sometimes clean, more often than not mess, it's my choice and my priorities, to relax instead of doing the work I know I will have to do tomorrow again, it can wait. If you can pack everything in 24 hrs good on you, but is it or going to be like that every day of your life? We're not robots, sometimes I like to stand back and look at this mess called life philosophically and clean more important stuff first , it often means house just doesn't make it to the top of the list for the day

Some of us like a clean home... is that bad? You may not but that is your choice.

I cannot relax until the house is the way I want it. Yes I can and DO clean the house every day, despite leading a very busy work and social life.

It is a personal choice to live cleanly or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not meaning squeaky clean and totally tidy. One friend I used to know had three girls, 6- 12, and they had completely invaded the whole downstairs. No room to walk in the hall; every seat in the sitting room piled with toys as was the floor. Just extremes. I got used to clearing part of a chair to perch on. There was no way they could find anything. That had stopped mattering

I am very untidy but curb it with boxes and containers. As my mother taught me. And always we had to remove stuff from the living room and kitchen .

This is what I cannot abide. Being messy is one thing but letting the kids completely invade the downstairs is where I draw the line.

I refuse to live in a creche. We spent a **** load of time and money on an extension and the 2 kids have brand new enlarged bedrooms- you are fecking well going to use it and keep all your crap in there.

Like my 7 yr old who wants to exit the car via the front doors. I paid BMW a crap load for those back doors- USE THEM you little bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

NSAman wrote: »
    Some of us like a clean home... is that bad? You may not but that is your choice.

I cannot relax until the house is the way I want it. Yes I can and DO clean the house every day, despite leading a very busy work and social life.

Each to there own. I personally wouldnt be able to live in a world where I had to clean every day. Some people are comfortable in a house that's a little untidy. I wash dishes every day but everything else is once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Like my 7 yr old who wants to exit the car via the front doors. I paid BMW a crap load for those back doors- USE THEM you little bollocks.

Training him/her to be a good conformist, eh? :D

My children (when they were children), my nephews/nieces (still children) and various other house-guests (not children) regularly leave their bedroom through the window instead of the front door. We're talking about a proper window here - they have climb onto a sofa, open shutters outwards and window panes inwards, then straddle a 60cm-wide windowsill, to get to the outside, but apparently it's worth the effort ... :confused:

Suits me fine, not to have them traipsing all through the house! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I paid BMW a crap load for those back doors- USE THEM you little bollocks.

You paid them a crap load for indicators too... :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Our biggest problem is the wife's parents. They are constantly buying toys- not us.

The mother in law is Bree Van der Camp on steroids. The house is spotless and an ocean of boring beige. Late 60's and eff all else to do. For example, if you have a shower in their house you have to wipe down the bathroom completely and leave the bath bone dry. I kid you not- bone dry and there are towels and blades to assist.

The thing is they buy any old crap when they are out and about. Not good quality long lasting toys- just rubbish they pick up on a weekly basis.

We turned the tables on them and insisted that anything they buy must stay at their house. You could see my MILs eye twitching but it worked. Rather than filling our house with rubbish it stays at theirs- funnily enough they have now stopped buying all the crap.

Exactly what I was about to suggest when I started reading your post.
    Sorted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

My house is comfortable.

Your house is a mess.

His house is a cold, sterile desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Earthsnotflat

What I mean is that it is not that simple for everybody or all the time to achieve this connection between want and do. What I am opposed to is the very simplistic way of dividing people between those who want clean house and have it and those messy kind that live in chaos because they choose to. If you feel better in comparison just have in mind the outcome you see is neither all to your credit if it's good or someone else's fault if it looks bad to you. You never know what tomorrow will be like, maybe you too will be in place of someone living in mess not of you choosing and unable to keep up on top all the time. Who chooses to live in chaos on purpose? I think that's the whole point, if some manage their mess better then others thats very well, but don't feel superior by thinking that other just must like this mess , they probably not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

OK cleaning takes time and effort.

I am one of those people who cleans his house to a level most people would think crazy. I have two dogs which add to the problem and many many visitors. Would I be without any of the dogs and visitors? no way... they make life interesting.

It is currently 5am, I am here taking a break from Ironing.When I arrive home after being away for 2 weeks work, the place was a mess. I hovered and washed floors after travelling for 12 hours.

Just mildly curious, how come the house was a mess if you were away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not meaning squeaky clean and totally tidy. One friend I used to know had three girls, 6- 12, and they had completely invaded the whole downstairs. No room to walk in the hall; every seat in the sitting room piled with toys as was the floor. Just extremes. I got used to clearing part of a chair to perch on. There was no way they could find anything. That had stopped mattering

I am very untidy but curb it with boxes and containers. As my mother taught me. And always we had to remove stuff from the living room and kitchen .

Well going by the OP they don't seem to like boxes of stuff in the container. So, I'd doubt your house would cut it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm incredibly interested to see the Hello Magazine photoshoot from Tickers house.

I'm presuming its all marvellously feng shui with rose petals strewn beautifully over hand-crafted, bespoke patterned walnut flooring in the foyer, with decor and furnishings of an exquisite and breathtaking standard throughout the living and sleeping chambers.

I'm sure it goes without saying that Ticker and their partner have been sterilised so as to preserve the sanctity of their homestead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Well going by the OP they don't seem to like boxes of stuff in the container. So, I'd doubt your house would cut it for them.

Correct, boxes are just a lazy way of hiding stuff you don't need. There are some people on this thread who really need to sort out their lives. You can tell the people protesting the most have the dirtiest houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There are some people on this thread who really need to sort out their lives.

At least person, anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Had to go back and check the OP!

Ah no; I am a knitter and a crafter and store yarn etc in crates. By colour... Rather than freeflow tangles... Also where I live there is almost zero storage space so crates etc are a vital resource, neatly under the table and invisible!

Correct, boxes are just a lazy way of hiding stuff you don't need. There are some people on this thread who really need to sort out their lives. You can tell the people protesting the most have the dirtiest houses.

Incorrect! My workroom is immaculate and all is organised and to hand. There are boxes... and BOXES!

why not hop over and see?

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I'm incredibly interested to see the Hello Magazine photoshoot from Tickers house.

I'm presuming its all marvellously feng shui with rose petals strewn beautifully over hand-crafted, bespoke patterned walnut flooring in the foyer, with decor and furnishings of an exquisite and breathtaking standard throughout the living and sleeping chambers.

I'm sure it goes without saying that Ticker and their partner have been sterilised so as to preserve the sanctity of their homestead.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Incorrect! My workroom is immaculate and all is organised and to hand. There are boxes... and BOXES!

Do I have to take my shoes off at the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I agree with you. Some things are better in boxes and it can be very neat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm just remembering the time I was about five, my sister three. One morning my parents were getting us all out the door to drop us to the childminder on their way to work. My mam in the front pulling my sister's coat on and stuffing lunches into bags, my dad bringing up the rear, carrying a bowl of pedigree chum to leave for the dog. One of those mornings where you've been up for 45 minutes and you're somehow an hour behind already.

Anyways, my dad tripped over some toys left by the front door, braced himself against the wall so as not to land on top of me and my sister, consequently letting go of the bowl of dog food. Which did a neat half turn sailing through the air, and landed upside down on my head. Big old chunks of cow rectum and gravy all in my hair, running down my face.

My dad actually had to sit down on the front step from laughing, which started my sister laughing, which started me crying, my mam scooped me up under her arm and ran to stick my head under the shower.

I dunno, most of my nicest, funniest childhood memories involve mess or chaos or disorder of some sort. My parents were loving, hardworking, involved parents who raised us well. It's not like it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to keep a clean tidy organised house and life but it just wasn't a priority for them at that time, they'd have made themselves miserable just to keep to other people's standards.

I know a few parents who are the type of people who get stressed out by mess, so for them they're happier people and better parents keeping things neat. Other people don't care so they don't, in one of the busiest periods of their lives, when their children are growing in front of their eyes, when they can't remember what a lie in is, bother their arses with something that's not important to them for the sake of not offending the sensibilities of people who are not at impacted by the state of their house.

Do I have to take my shoes off at the door?

wellies, yes of course... :D . remote rural island!

I'm just remembering the time I was about five, my sister three. One morning my parents were getting us all out the door to drop us to the childminder on their way to work. My mam in the front pulling my sister's coat on and stuffing lunches into bags, my dad bringing up the rear, carrying a bowl of pedigree chum to leave for the dog. One of those mornings where you've been up for 45 minutes and you're somehow an hour behind already.

Anyways, my dad tripped over some toys left by the front door, braced himself against the wall so as not to land on top of me and my sister, consequently letting go of the bowl of dog food. Which did a neat half turn sailing through the air, and landed upside down on my head. Big old chunks of cow rectum and gravy all in my hair, running down my face.

My dad actually had to sit down on the front step from laughing, which started my sister laughing, which started me crying, my mam scooped me up under her arm and ran to stick my head under the shower.

I dunno, most of my nicest, funniest childhood memories involve mess or chaos or disorder of some sort. My parents were loving, hardworking, involved parents who raised us well. It's not like it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to keep a clean tidy organised house and life but it just wasn't a priority for them at that time, they'd have made themselves miserable just to keep to other people's standards.

I know a few parents who are the type of people who get stressed out by mess, so for them they're happier people and better parents keeping things neat. Other people don't care so they don't, in one of the busiest periods of their lives, when their children are growing in front of their eyes, when they can't remember what a lie in is, bother their arses with something that's not important to them for the sake of not offending the sensibilities of people who are not at impacted by the state of their house.

Lovely evocative post! Home is home is home. A comfort not a tyranny.

Because Enid Blyton and her series of children s books are mostly forgotten. A vague memory in the mind of some thirty something mums and dads and that's all.

Ditto with Ladybird books, remember "Peter and Jane?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I’ve had the pleasure of being invited to several homes of young families recently and by young I mean new parents in their late 30’s and 40’s...

I’m aghast at how much crap people accumulate in their homes! Ikea boxes full of kids toys shoved in corners. My experience is limited to Dublin where all the “young” families with their delusions of grandeur want to live in the south east part of Dublin in houses they can barely afford all the while their lives are in chaos with plastic toys strewn everywhere, both working, 2 cars, hand-balling kids, 9 - 5, dinner Seriously, one of the parents needs to stay home and organise their lives.

If one tried to stay at home then there probably wouldn't be a home or toys to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tidying the house while the kids are growing
    Is like shovelling snow while it's still snowing.

There's a happy medium. A house has to be a home and each to their own when it comes to how 'tidy' it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Grandchildren just left from here . House was upended with a fort made of cushions in one room and playmobil in another and crumbs all over the kitchen floor . They left and it was tidied in 7 minutes , all back to its former glory . Can’t wait for it to be upended again very soon

I'm sure most people on this thread have their lives sorted out. Your problem seems to be with them not having their houses sorted, which is much lower on the list of priorities for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Grandchildren just left from here . House was upended with a fort made of cushions in one room and playmobil in another and crumbs all over the kitchen floor . They left and it was tidied in 7 minutes , all back to its former glory . Can’t wait for it to be upended again very soon
    aw forts... my son used to make forts constantly, this thread is getting me all nostalgic for kid mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tidying the house while the kids are growing
    Is like shovelling snow while it's still snowing.

There's a happy medium. A house has to be a home and each to their own when it comes to how 'tidy' it is.

My kids are like a mixture or a tornado and a tsunami,you have everything neat and tidy then BOOM!! they have the place ripped apart in minutes.
    I have friends and neighbours who stress over having their homes in showhouse condition and their kids aren't allowed to enjoy their own homes.
    Constantly running around with cleaning products and touching up paint on walls because junior touched them. May as well pitch a tent in the garden and look in at their pristine home that they can't enjoy living in for fear of dirtying it.

Advertisement