Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are some parts of Ireland just a bit odd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Was there very recently and your spot on, bad fashion and moustaches.

What about the men?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wouldn't take much notice of that sort of thing really. I have been to places in other countries and Norn Iron where I have felt a sudden need to get the feck out of there. But in Ireland it is grand. Donegal and places have a bit of madness about them and I like it. Must mean I'm odd myself

I remember going into a chipper in Omagh on a Sunday night around 8pm and asking if they would take Irish pounds. Like yourself I definitely felt the need to get out of there quick.

I've never been to Monasterevin but does anyone remember that incident a few years back where a civil servant went down there to look at renting an apartment and he ended up getting roughed up by a mob and ran out of town because they thought (wrongly) that he was a convicted paedophile. I've always thought of Monasterevin as a bit mad since and recently a friend confirmed it for me, bunch of knuckle draggers was the phrase used.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Healy-Rae country. There has to be something in the aquifers down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Newtown Mount Kennedy is a strange oul spot, full of Ben's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭cgcsb

reminds me of a wining streak show - a Kerry guy (mid/late 40s) never outside Ireland, first time ever in Dublin, didn't travel much outside Kerry (apparently). Anyway up in the big smoke for winning streak, game kicks off, wins a holiday to Spain, his 2 youngish kids jump up in delight. Not a smile to be had on himself, probably the worst nightmare scenario:D

Think I seen that one, The studio was all too exotic for him, the prospect of Spain done nothing for him.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I remember going into a chipper in Omagh on a Sunday night around 8pm and asking if they would take Irish pounds. Like yourself I definitely felt the need to get out of there quick.

With 72% of Omagh's population being from a Catholic background, you stumbled across a hardcore loyalist chipper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

cgcsb wrote: »
    With 72% of Omagh's population being from a Catholic background, you stumbled across a hardcore loyalist chipper?

Of course you would, do you think the other 28 don't have their own areas? Lurgan is close-ish to 50:50 and there might as well be a big line painted up the main Street with one side not using the other.

Have you never been in NI? The % majority just doesn't own a particular town and have the minority running around like they're in 1970's South Africa.

I find parts of Roscomon and Longord quite scary. It's the way the locals look at you and the random weird statements they might make to you, even outward hostility seems common. Less extreme versions of this exist across the midlands, I guess areas where there isn't a continuous flow through of 'outsiders' the gene pool can get a bit stale. The west coast remains quite fresh thanks to tourism, It's the midlands, where people tend to see the sights from the window of an express train, that you get the oddness.

Of course you would, do you think the other 28 don't have their own areas? Lurgan is close-ish to 50:50 and there might as well be a big line painted up the main Street with one side not using the other.

Have you never been in NI? The % majority just doesn't own a particular town and have the minority running around like they're in 1970's South Africa.

The point being, with such a large Catholic majority, surely they couldn't afford to be outwardly hostile to the aul taigs. Except for Belfast, I've not seen much of NI to be honest. Been to Larne before, but refused to stop the car, not a good tooth to mouth ratio there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Rural Ireland is all about the rumour mill, gossip and G.A.A. If you don’t play G.A.A. in some parts of Ireland you might as well be a gay Jehovah’s Witness.

• Advertisement

The point being, with such a large Catholic majority, surely they couldn't afford to be outwardly hostile to the aul taigs. Except for Belfast, I've not seen much of NI to be honest. Been to Larne before, but refused to stop the car, not a good tooth to mouth ratio there.

Each town has their own pockets regardless of the majority and they'll be hostile to whoever they like. Take portadown for example, the vast majority is loyalist but take a jaunt up the g-road and you won't find anyone too worried about upsetting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ipso wrote: »
    What about the men?

Hahaha, very good.

But, in fairness to them, the women looked quite well. Skirts were very short though.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭threeball

I find parts of Roscomon and Longord quite scary. It's the way the locals look at you and the random weird statements they might make to you, even outward hostility seems common. Less extreme versions of this exist across the midlands, I guess areas where there isn't a continuous flow through of 'outsiders' the gene pool can get a bit stale. The west coast remains quite fresh thanks to tourism, It's the midlands, where people tend to see the sights from the window of an express train, that you get the oddness.

Majority of places and people in this country are friendly apart from the sh1thole that is our capital. People there can't stand any imposition on their life like someone saying hello, holding up their progress from a to b in their suv for anything in excess of 3 seconds or generally having any regard for anyone but themselves. On the rare occasion they venture outside the M50 and encounter real people and any of the situations above they feel intimidated by the "weirdos" who dare to be anything other that the self absorbed d1ckheads they're used to encountering.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well they weren't taking my Irish pounds so can only presume so. Got dirty looks off a couple of the customers waiting there too when they heard my accent. I wasn't welcome there and that was made pretty clear to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've known a few people from Cong, Co. Mayo, and they are lovely people, but they've definitely got a streak of madness in them.

I was at a wedding once and I randomly overheard a snippet of someone's conversation that went "...they're mad Cnts in Cong."

At a later date I was talking to a friend of mine who, had grown up close to the area, about the place and is words of wisdom were "you know they're mad cnts in Cong."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Very shallow gene pool out there

Could certainly use a bit of the auld “chlorine”, J.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Connies are ****ing weird. Big auld mountainy heads on them, and a deep love for two tone denim jackets. Very shallow gene pool out there, and dark rumours of families being a good bit closer than society would deem appropriate.

That's really only the case in places like Litir Mór, Tír an Fhia or out near Muiceannach and probably not as common these days. Even at that, most people check out each other's ancestry with a simple "cé leis thu?" which pretty much solves the problem. That and avoiding sleeping with anyone from the same parish.

It's definitely still an odd place though. People aren't so much known by surnames as they are by their ancestors' names. I remember this being a pain in the arse when a parent or grand parent would ask me if Séamus Mhicilín Pheaits Mór was in my class and I wouldn't know if they were referring to Séamus Ó Flatharta, Séamus Mac Donacha or Séamus Ó Dómhnaill. I don't know if this happens in the other gaeltachts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Healy-Rae country. There has to be something in the aquifers down there.

It's the roads. They fix the roads. I mean that. They literally fix the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

How's life in Ballingarry anyway?

You know you live up the road from Ballingarry, right?

This my big village is less odd than the big village down the road is itself pretty odd.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I always thought that bit in the north quite odd. What's it called again??

Oh yes, Northern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Mountmellick, Laois.
    That is one odd place.
    The dampness, smell of turf smoke, alcoholics in the pubs from 10am.
    Celtic tiger did not stop in this town.
    There was a raid on the Shaws store - the raiders cleaned the shop out, and shat into the till drawer.
    Its a depressing kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Beasty wrote: »
    I always thought that bit in the north quite odd. What's it called again??

Oh yes, Northern Ireland

The North rememberers, and remembers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Parts of Clare are like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Like they have been exposed to radiation for years.

Mutants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I find Dublin to be a very strange place. It’s the kind of place where people crowd around the television gawping at X Factor while stuffing their faces with “chipper” food, grease dripping down their Man Utd jerseys, crying at the “veddy sad” human interest stories.

“Proud to be Irish” but overwhelmingly British culturally. I prefer the modest country man over the “Jackeen.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Exhibit A: Donegal. The county that brought us Peter Casey, Mickey Joe Harte, and loves to say No in referendums. The Trolling County.
    I don't know why a Tipperary man is worrying about Donegal. This coming from the county that had two car registrations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Some parts of County Wicklow are very weird and inward looking.

North Wicklow is very close to Dublin and is pretty wealthy and monied - big houses and pretty villages like Enniskerry and Ashford. Then you have South Wicklow which is a complete world away...small places like Shillelagh and Tinahely which would be like a Valley of the Squinting Windows and pubs where the music would stop and the regulars would stare you down when you stepped in the door.

I also think parts of East Galway and East Clare are strange. East Clare is where the artist Imelda Riney, her young son and a local priest were murdered back in 1994.

Donegal is more very conservative than odd.

I don't know why a Tipperary man is worrying about Donegal. This coming from the county that had two car registrations.

In fairness it's better than one that doesn't believe in any of the paperwork at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I find Dublin to be a very strange place. It’s the kind of place where people crowd around the television gawping at X Factor while stuffing their faces with “chipper” food, grease dripping down their Man Utd jerseys, crying at the “veddy sad” human interest stories.

“Proud to be Irish” but overwhelmingly British culturally. I prefer the modest country man over the “Jackeen.”

Your habit of going around to people’s houses and staring in the window as they watch television will get you in trouble, sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

In fairness it's better than one that doesn't believe in any of the paperwork at all.
    Factually incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Always thought Mayo to be a bit odd and almost Stepford-like. I lived there for a while and nearly every conversation I had with someone was like they were trying to work out what they were supposed to say rather than what they genuinely thought. If they were even able to think.

"Mayo God help us"

http://www.mayogodhelpus.com/mayogodhelpus.html

It is said that emigration was a good thing. Too much consanguinity and all that...

Advertisement