Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the Irish Navy a disgrace?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Our Navy a professional, upstanding outfit and a credit to our nation.
    They follow orders from the top as all servicemen and women do. In this case the top is the minister for defense.
    The disgraceful (and possibly illegal) 'rescuing' of economic migrants in the med was ordered by Simon Coveney and the responsibility lies with him.
    The Navy bear no responsibility as they are obligated to follow the orders they are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Waste of time and tax payers money. Dressing up daily and walking round decks with illusions of grandeur. Then after floating round the seas for a couple of weeks having 3 meals a day. They come back to a big wad of cash in their bank accounts and a hero's welcome in cobh harbour as if they've been off fighting in a bloody war. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont think the Navy are a disgrace but many of the missions the Irish Navy are sent on are a disgrace.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Our Navy a professional, upstanding outfit and a credit to our nation.
    They follow orders from the top as all servicemen and women do. In this case the top is the minister for defense.
    The disgraceful (and possibly illegal) 'rescuing' of economic migrants in the med was ordered by Simon Coveney and the responsibility lies with him.
    The Navy bear no responsibility as they are obligated to follow the orders they are given.

They can refuse illegal orders. In fact they are obliged to no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wonder where the army was in the Beast from the East last year. I am sure you will tell me.

https://twitter.com/defenceforces/status/969253756838862849

We have a very small Army so there is only so much they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I dont think the Navy are a disgrace but many of the missions the Irish Navy are sent on are a disgrace.

Perfect answer there. So who do we blame now?

tuxy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/defenceforces/status/969253756838862849

We have a very small Army so there is only so much they can do.

I think that was my point really. Could we rely on them in a REAL emergency like Nuclear fallout or something.

No one knows what the heck they do really in a neutral country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Perfect answer there. So who do we blame now?

Simon and Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Well discrace is probably a bit OTT but you get my drift.

When theyre not assisting illegal aliens to enter Europe theyre hassling Irish fishermen for the benefit of foreign fleets.
    The most recent act of eneptitude involves inexplicably arresting two northern fishing vessels where a long-standing gentleman's agreement has allowed reciprocal fishing rights. This will also undoudtably effect already strained relations with the north and UK.

have had several dealings with the navy , and i would have some issues with some of their operations , or lack of , regarding fisheries . However overall i would not describe them as a disgrace and i can't see how arresting two boats that were fishing illegally is a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Simon and Leo?

Would it not be Leo and Paul(Kehoe)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Wonder where the army was in the Beast from the East last year. I am sure you will tell me.

"The Defence Forces have been called out on eight occasions over the last 24 hours."

Extract from Irish Independant

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/beast-from-the-east-status-red-snow-alert-in-place-until-friday-1.3408511%3fmode=amp

Theres plenty of examples online if you do a search and not limited to 2018.

The DF can only be used when requested to do so by AGS or another State body on the authorisation of the Minister/Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

It's easy to poke fun at the Irish Navy with their turf powered aircraft carriers but shure aren't they grand?

have had several dealings with the navy , and i would have some issues with some of their operations , or lack of , regarding fisheries . However overall i would not describe them as a disgrace and i can't see how arresting two boats that were fishing illegally is a problem

To be fair, the focus of late has been on the rescue of illegal immigrants in the Med by our Navy.

That seems to have been curtailed now, or at least I haven't heard any positive spin on it lately.

Waste of time and tax payers money. Dressing up daily and walking round decks with illusions of grandeur. Then after floating round the seas for a couple of weeks having 3 meals a day. They come back to a big wad of cash in their bank accounts and a hero's welcome in cobh harbour as if they've been off fighting in a bloody war. Ffs.

What humanitarian endeavours have you accomplished?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I've a sinking feeling about this affair.

TCM wrote: »
    I've a sinking feeling about this affair.

I do like a post like this. No harm being cynical is there.

working 9am to 5pm daily. Not pouncing round a ship taking 4 breaks a day for nourishment. And expecting my family to turn out and cheer me every few weeks for returning to my base. !

working 9am to 5pm daily. Not pouncing round a ship taking 4 breaks a day for nourishment. And expecting my family to turn out and cheer me every few weeks for returning to my base. !

So none.

They are getting paid for it. Because the rest are working away and paying taxes. Funding ships... fuel etc. Go team.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

HMS St Albans doing 13 knots towards Belfast, things just got real, lol...

stalbans-background_1500x1090.jpg

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-5.7/centery:54.7/zoom:11

• Advertisement

They are getting paid for it. Because the rest are working away and paying taxes. Funding ships... fuel etc. Go team.

Of course they are getting paid for it.

You want them to do it for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

They can refuse illegal orders. In fact they are obliged to no?

Well that's the thing, it's a matter of perception.
    The political class, the Media, NGOs and much of the left perceive those crossing the med as 'refugees' in distress so that is how they are regarded. Therefore it is legal to 'rescue' them.

It does seem strange though that a search and rescue operation 'rescues' vessels in distress in the exact same location and exact same coordinates every single day for over two years.

Any other coastguard or rescue operation in this situation would arouse suspicion and warrant immediate investigation but not in this case for some reason.

Of course they are getting paid for it.

You want them to do it for free?

Not sure what your point is. They are following orders in carrying out missions. That may involve rescuing people or arresting people or shooting at people or ships. They are not a charitable humanitarian organisation. They are carrying out missions to get paid and to serve the state not for humanitarian reasons. They dont get to choose the mission. So praising them as individuals for the aims of the mission misses the point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gwanoman

Yeah... this never really happens..

Gwanoman wrote: »

Yeah... this never really happens..
    Pop down to cobh sometime. Its pathetic ! And yes it does bloody happen pal. Pity credit like this cheering dressed up dummies off a ship isn't done to firefighters. Ambulance men. Police. Army..real men working daily protecting Ireland and its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

steddyeddy wrote: »
    That agreement was challenged in Dublin in 2016 but remains unchallenged in the UK. The fishermen from the south can fish in Uk waters but not vice versa.

And do they? Genuine question, I am baffled by this. All the references are to Irish fishermen being allowed to fish in the north, there is no mention of them actually choosing to. The fact that the nordies come south would tend to suggest that, for whatever reason, the fishing is better on the south side. As I said in my original post, if both sides are happily fishing both sides of the border then this is a bizarre move.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Can you imagine how Britain would feel if an EU army was carrying this out?

Deise Vu wrote: »
    As I said in my original post, if both sides are happily fishing both sides of the border then this is a bizarre move.
    it's not bizarre, the Irish Government is just acting in accordance with an (Irish) Supreme Court ruling that has struck down our voisinage agreement (you fish in my seas, I'll fish in yours) with the UK.

The UK, for whatever reason, continues to allow irish vessels into its waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pop down to cobh sometime. Its pathetic ! And yes it does bloody happen pal. Pity credit like this cheering dressed up dummies off a ship isn't done to firefighters. Ambulance men. Police. Army..real men working daily protecting Ireland and its people.

Real men who recovered 40 or so bodies from the sea after the Air India disaster .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Satta Massagana

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Yvan eht nioj.

Hmm. I wonder are they recruiting. I've a sudden urge to get the train down to Cork.

Advertisement