Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I heard on the radio , The person of interest lives abroad and is know for other crimes,
    Is it Lawrence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I heard on the radio , The person of interest lives abroad and is know for other crimes,
    Is it Lawrence ?
    That name has been mentioned before. Its no good without evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

it might be but it's just too easy to assume. if the "somebody knows something" theory is true I can't imagine there being too many people who would withhold information for him. It could be anyone, Elaine O'Hara was missing over a year and her killer was living a quiet life with seemingly nothing to connect him.

I previously heard a suggestion that another Kildare man should be questioned about other cases of missing women (maybe he was) he was convicted on DNA evidence in the early 2000s of the rape and murder of a young woman in the 70s. AFAIR she was waiting for a bus home and he offered her a lift. I think the book which mentioned him was Missing by Barry Cummins, I have it somewhere at home so I'll fact check tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Beach Fuzz wrote: »
    What's the point of a thread so?

Threads like this will only thrive if people can talk and speculate about it.

No wonder this site is a graveyard.

Mainly because when people speculate people complain to the admins/etc and play the think of the family role and they also can threaten with legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mainly because when people speculate people complain to the admins/etc and play the think of the family role and they also can threaten with legal action.

Maybe close the thread now so. Because that is what will happen very soon anyway IMV.

I think it's ok to speculate as long as people are not named individually just generally without really identifying them as such.

LM has already been mentioned whom we are all aware of. Another called Lawr****. Never heard of him.

Look up Phyllis Murphy, and see where she disappeared from, and who was eventually convicted and when, due to advancement in DNA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

julyjane wrote: »
    it might be but it's just too easy to assume. if the "somebody knows something" theory is true I can't imagine there being too many people who would withhold information for him. It could be anyone, Elaine O'Hara was missing over a year and her killer was living a quiet life with seemingly nothing to connect him.

I previously heard a suggestion that another Kildare man should be questioned about other cases of missing women (maybe he was) he was convicted on DNA evidence in the early 2000s of the rape and murder of a young woman in the 70s. AFAIR she was waiting for a bus home and he offered her a lift. I think the book which mentioned him was Missing by Barry Cummins, I have it somewhere at home so I'll fact check tonight

John Crerar. He's from Kildare and was free in 1998 so it's possible.

• Site Banned Posts: 37 Jeff Devoy

When they said that the chief suspect was responsible for violent crimes against women in Leinster and had been jailed for at least one of them, Larry Murphy came straight to mind.

He allegedly did work in the shop of one of Deirdre's relatives which makes it all the more likely IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Edgware wrote: »
    Chapelizard? Wheres that?
    Ireland is too small a country to keep any major search quiet

West dublin

Who is Lawrence? If mods allow identification...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Larry Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Larry is short for Lawrence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

West dublin

Is it near Puncherstown?

Jeff Devoy wrote: »
    When they said that the chief suspect was responsible for violent crimes against women in Leinster and had been jailed for at least one of them, Larry Murphy came straight to mind.

He allegedly did work in the shop of one of Deirdre's relatives which makes it all the more likely IMO.

Larry put up a sign in the grandmother's shop saying he made kids furniture.
    I'd say her family are tired of that rumour.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/deirdre-jacob-larry-murphy-2579822-Feb2016/%3famp=1

Mod note: By the way talk about other cases but don't overly speculate to much.
    Talk about similar cases etc bit don't say x did this etc.

Larry out up a sign in the grandmother's shop saying he made kids furniture.
    I'd say her family are tired of that rumour.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/deirdre-jacob-larry-murphy-2579822-Feb2016/%3famp=1

Its a strong enough link considering his crime and a young girl going missing.

Its a strong enough link considering his crime and a young girl going missing.

The original rumour was he was working in the shop.
    I just wanted to clear this up for people.

Thanks to those who pointed out the explanation of Lawrence! I just thought it was someone else I hadn't heard of before. Doh.

I am sure the detectives are running checks on the other Newbridge abduction where the perpetrator was not found until many years later and DJ case happened before his arrest.

It says in the press that this guy was in jail for violent crimes on "women".

Larry only went to jail for 1 crime.

Seems to be this guy committed more and spent time i jail for the..

As much as I'm suspicious of Larry Murphy's involvement in Deirdre's case, I'd strongly doubt he is involved in all the cases, as some people have suggested. For example, the two women below were believed to be killed by men they knew well:

Fiona Pender - she was seven months pregnant when she disappeared from her home in the town centre of Tullamore. Her then-boyfriend, John Thompson, is believed to have killed and buried her. He lives in Canada now, and recently made the news when his latest partner told police that he admitted killing Fiona and threatened to do the same to her. A makeshift cross in the Slieve Bloom mountains with her name on it was deemed to be a hoax.

Fiona Sinnott - young single mother who went missing after an argument with her ex-partner one night. Though he has never been named as a suspect, it is widely known that he is the only suspect in this case, and he is believed to have killed the mother of his child after a fight. Certain members of his family also believe this, according to newspaper interviews.

Now from the best of my knowledge the woman Larry Murphy attacked in Carlow.
    He watched/stalked her and knew her movements before pouncing on her in a quiet car park on a dark February night.

• Advertisement

As much as I'm suspicious of Larry Murphy's involvement in Deirdre's case, I'd strongly doubt he is involved in all the cases, as some people have suggested. For example, the two women below were believed to be killed by men they knew well:

Fiona Pender - she was seven months pregnant when she disappeared from her home in the town centre of Tullamore. Her then-boyfriend, John Thompson, is believed to have killed and buried her. He lives in Canada now, and recently made the news when his latest partner told police that he admitted killing Fiona and threatened to do the same to her. A makeshift cross in the Slieve Bloom mountains with her name on it was deemed to be a hoax.

Fiona Sinnott - young single mother who went missing after an argument with her ex-partner one night. Though he has never been named as a suspect, it is widely known that he is the only suspect in this case, and he is believed to have killed the mother of his child after a fight. Certain members of his family also believe this, according to newspaper interviews.

Yep i agree with the above. If Larry is suspected of more attacks, which i believe is probable amd likey its more likely Annie McCarrick and Jo Jo Dollard.

Yep i agree with the above. If Larry is suspected of more attacks, which i believe is probable amd likey its more likely Annie McCarrick and Jo Jo Dollard.

Wasn't there some sort of Provo connection to Annie McCarrick's disappearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Considering Jojo Dollard was last seen less than 9-miles from where LM lived, he's an obvious suspect

Mark Hennessy is probably more of a suspect in the Annie McCarrick case than LM is

Wasn't there some sort of Provo connection to Annie McCarrick's disappearance?

I heard that on one of those TV3 programs alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Considering Jojo Dollard was last seen less than 9-miles from where LM lived, he's an obvious suspect

Mark Hennessy is probably more of a suspect in the Annie McCarrick case than LM is

I was reading a few weeks ago that they could find no evidence to link Hennessy to any crimes bar the murder of Jastine Valdez. It seems he underwent some sort of breakdown or spiralling out of control this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

That’s rubbish! Hennessy would only have been 15 at the time.

Wouldn't Mark Hennessy have being in his mid teens then?

JoJo's sister said she thinks she knew who her killer was, and it wasn't Murphy. The sister has since passed away.

JoJo's sister said she thinks she knew who her killer was, and it wasn't Murphy. The sister has since passed away.

Massive speculation in the area about who it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

This gir has been living abroad, knew how to take care and be vigilant, my thinking is, it was someone she knew.

Advertisement