Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

would there be more or less suicides without alcohol?

• 17-06-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

pondering this,remove alcohol from the equation. would there be a drop in suicide rates?

perhaps there would, as statistically alcohol is present in a lot of suicides. but there is also the point that alcohol may a crutch to those who are suicidal, and taking it away from them might drive them further down that road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I think yes, there would be a drop in suicide rates. I can't imagine someone staying alive just for the sole purpose of drinking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

I think in our case here, it could actually increase certain tendencies. If someone is on the verge of doing such a terrible thing, then I don't think the slight nudge from alcohol will make much difference.

On the other hand, the release-valve provided by socially accepted drugs is a coping mechanism, and it could prevent people from getting into a stickier situation in the first place.

Short answer: For a minority, it could make a positive difference, for a majority it could make a negative difference.

We'll never know though, because alcohol is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think alcohol exacerbates suicidal feelings that are already present . I dont think it has any role in contributing to level of numbers of suicidal people though

• Registered Users Posts: 30,175 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Out of a lot of the suicides I've heard of drugs and alcohol often seem to be a factor in the persons life.
    However theirs lots of people and going out for the odd drink to meet their friends is the only thing they've to look forward to. So. it's hard to know to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Less definitely,most people that top themselves have lots of drink in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah but there would also be a lot less riding (in this country at least)
    swings and roundabouts

Robsweezie wrote: »
    would there be more or less suicides without alcohol?

There would be fewer, far fewer. Alcohol, as with other drugs, distorts perspective and perception of reality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Yes, a hell of a lot less, alcohol plays a part in a quite a high number of suicides. Drinking is the worst thing to do if you are not feeling the Mae West.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There would be fewer, far fewer. Alcohol, as with other drugs, distorts perspective and perception of reality.

It also acts as an anesthetic for people, a coping mechanism, albiet a harmful one.

The proposition is impossible to prove or disprove.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

With my experience I would say yes.

I was going through a fairly rough patch 5-6 years ago, drinking a good bit and felt my life wasn't really going anywhere. I would get down on myself but mix that in with alcohol and it led to some bad depression, which eventually led to suicidal thoughts. The downer I'd get from a hangover was really bad, so I drank more and the downers got worse.

This got to a stage where I was very close to doing the deed, luckily I got some clarity or whatever the hell it was and didn't go through with, thankfully.

I stopped drinking, got some help and I'm now 5 years off it. I get down like everyone else, but definitely would never drink again.

Personally I think drinking has a contributing factor in some suicides, the depression you get from it can be very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Well done turning the corner mate
    jamesbere wrote: »
    With my experience I would say yes.

I was going through a fairly rough patch 5-6 years ago, drinking a good bit and felt my life wasn't really going anywhere. I would get down on myself but mix that in with alcohol and it led to some bad depression, which eventually led to suicidal thoughts. The downer I'd get from a hangover was really bad, so I drank more and the downers got worse.

This got to a stage where I was very close to doing the deed, luckily I got some clarity or whatever the hell it was and didn't go through with, thankfully.

I stopped drinking, got some help and I'm now 5 years off it. I get down like everyone else, but definitely would never drink again.

Personally I think drinking has a contributing factor in some suicides, the depression you get from it can be very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Nah that's bollocks, there'd probably be more,
    Alcohol/Drugs are huge release of tension for billions of people,
    God only knows what would happen without drugs/alcohol to take the edge off life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Tsipras wrote: »
    God only knows what would happen without drugs/alcohol to take the edge off life

God only knows what would happen to all the people dumbed down by the thought of eternal life if they started to doubt the promises of frauds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Impossible to tell really. For some it could provoke it, for others it could be the release that keeps them going. Regardless alcohol is here to stay forever, and there are far more valuable and proven endeavours to invest time and money in with regards to mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

As with everything in life different people react to stimuli in different ways. There's that person who has a hard life that once they have a drink they're happy as Larry, having the craic with everyone. The opposite end of the spectrum is the person who's had a good life and once drink is in the equation is thinking of committing suicide. Alcohol does very different things to different people. It's all in how the individual is feeling at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

jamesbere wrote: »
    I was very close to doing the deed, luckily I got some clarity or whatever the hell it was and didn't go through with, thankfully.

Its a cliche I know,but somebody was looking down on you then.Thank f*ck your still around to recount it.I didn't quote your entire post,but I read it and thought of a few people who done it in a moment of madness.Yours is a story worth sharing. Fair dues for picking yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

Without alcohol, there would probably be less births, too.

So, it all evens out perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

If you are going through a tough time and add drink to the equation, alcohol definitely makes life seem more pointless than is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Johngoose wrote: »
    If you are going through a tough time and add drink to the equation, alcohol definitely makes life seem more pointless than is.

Depending on the person of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depending on the person of course

Not particularly. I'm told that the way alcohol acts on the human nervous system is pretty standard. For sure the impact is less severe in some people than others, but overall it is a depressant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Robsweezie wrote: »
    pondering this,remove alcohol from the equation. would there be a drop in suicide rates?

perhaps there would, as statistically alcohol is present in a lot of suicides. but there is also the point that alcohol may a crutch to those who are suicidal, and taking it away from them might drive them further down that road.

I dont know. Sometimes people with alcoholism have mental health problems and alcohol abuse is a symptom of their difficulties not really the cause

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not particularly. I'm told that the way alcohol acts on the human nervous system is pretty standard. For sure the impact is less severe in some people than others, but overall it is a depressant.

People do react differently though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Johngoose wrote: »

Not necessarily, as someone who recently ( last few years ) been diagnosed with depression, something that it seems I've had all my life alcohol & recreational drug use were my friends ( alcohol still ). Got me through many a tough day/week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Would there be more Alcoholics without suicide ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Alcohol ... the cause of, and solution to, most of life's problems! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

It's a depressant and sadly can exaserbate suicidal feelings in a person. I know of two cases myself where alcohol was involved. :( One of them was a man I know who slit his wrists and who - unfortunately and quite unusually for this particular method - did a good job. He began to sober up and tried to save himself but it was too late. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Murrisk wrote: »

.......He began to sober up and tried to save himself ..... :(

How long was he bleeding for ?

Your body processes about 1 drink per hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

gctest50 wrote: »
    How long was he bleeding for ?

Your body processes about 1 drink per hour

No idea, it's a long, long time ago. He might have cut himself towards the end of the drunken period. I've certainly had instances where I sober up quickly enough once I stop drinking. Or at least enough to lose that sense of oblivion. He was also in a very isolated spot in the west of Ireland that he went for the very reason that it was remote. So that also contributed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Alcohol in even small quantities definitely affects decision making, risk assessment, and lowers inhibitions. So, sadly, it does play a significant role in many suicides and accidental deaths.

Advertisement