Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Belfast or Good Friday Agreement?

• 17-10-2019 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Why do the DUP call the above the Belfast Agreement and some others call it either?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

It is the same thing.

I presume it is down to petty religious reasons they do not call it Good Friday. DUP have some form for being set in their ways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It is the same thing.

I presume it is down to petty religious reasons they do not call it Good Friday. DUP have some form for being set in their ways.

Good Friday is a protestant holiday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Good Friday is a protestant holiday too.

The DUP probably call it something less “positive”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The DUP probably call it something less “positive”.

The ok Friday agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The official, internationally recognised name, is the Belfast Agreement. The Good Friday Agreement is a colloquialism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,669 ✭✭✭buried

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why do the DUP call the above the Belfast Agreement and some others call it either?

Because the DUP never signed up to the Good Friday Agreement.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

buried wrote:
    Because the DUP never signed up to the Good Friday Agreement.

Who signed up to the GFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Every treaty is named after where it was signed, eg- Lisbon, Maastricht, Croke Park etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,669 ✭✭✭buried

Everybody else, bar the same sort of trash that wanted to see the bloodshed go on.

Check it out for yourself.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The DUP didn't sign it and didn't support it.
    I think the other main parties supported it.
    It was signed by Bertie ahern and Tony Blair as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Belfast Agreement was the agreement between the parties involved bar the DUP etc

Ratification via both the Northern Ireland Good Friday Agreement Referendum, and the Nineteenth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland is the actual thing everyone on the island is essentially signed up to.

Just go with the opposite of anything the DUP mention, and you'll normally be on the right path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The ok Friday agreement.

The " I cant believe the Shinners fell for it" agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It is the same thing.

I presume it is down to petty religious reasons they do not call it Good Friday.....

maybe they're just more religious than the rest of us, showing proper reverence to sacred occasions....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

maybe they're just more religious than the rest of us, showing proper reverence to sacred occasions....

Which sacred occasion is that seeing as most Christian ones are stolen from pagan festivals? Are you saying that the DUP are pagans?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I notice in recent weeks Tory politicians seem to be deliberately referring to it as the Good Friday agreement- bit of subtle diplomacy going on there I reckon which is very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Edgware wrote: »
    The " I cant believe the Shinners fell for it" agreement

The next breakthrough will be when they start calling Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland. In a subtle lack of diplomacy over the years they have been calling it The North of Ireland or The Six Counties.

Advertisement