Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's not bad at all as I don't have space for a big pallet to be honest, will probably pick up a few bags so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Is it the crate of kiln dried beech for €169.95 that people are ordering from C&D/TJ O'Mahonys? 450kg.
    Their 5 x 10kg bags are almost as good value. Works out 50kg for €20. That would be €180 for 450kg, but you don't have to commit to the large size.

Is that a 10kg bag or 10 kg of dried wood in a bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Pallets of (1m³) Hand Stacked Kiln Dried Hardwood
    €180 delivered free
    Murphy's fuels macroom
    http://www.murphysfuelsmacroom.com/

Any value in the above??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tinner that seems excellent value provided it is a 1m3 crate and not a ton bag and it is the ash and oak they promise. €199 is the cheapest this thread has thrown up for a 1m3 crate so €180 delivered sounds a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Calor Crate of Kiln Dried Beech Logs 430kg
    Was €239.00 Save €40.00

€199.00 inc VAT

2 for €360

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Fuel-Storage/Oil-Tanks/Calor-Crate-Of-Kiln-Dried-Beech-Logs-430kg-0051916

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭philboy

stamjoe wrote: »
    Yes, very dry indeed, 15euro delivery to Limerick.
    I rang up yesterday and they are charging €20 delivery in Galway less than 1km down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭josephsoap

http://www.mcmorrowhaulage.ie/fire-wood/

What do you make of this offer €95 for a teleporter bucket of hardwood timber ?

Looks like a great deal but clarify what hardwood it is and how it has been dried. If air seasoned check it has been at least a year drying, otherwise the logs could be full of moisture and they will not burn well or hot enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

stamjoe wrote: »
    Yes, very dry indeed, 15euro delivery to Limerick.

Do you mind me asking what area of Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭mayota

Topline shops have this offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

Some body gave me two bags of kiln dried Bord Na Mona fire logs before for Christmas, just left thim in the shed as had no immediate need for them. Opened them this morning to find moss still on some of the cut logs..... Put the moistiure meter on and gave reading of ove 50 per cent moisture. How the fcuk can Bord na Mona sell these as Kiln dried as still have moss growing on them or am I missing something?????

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Glebee wrote: »
    Some body gave me two bags of kiln dried Bord Na Mona fire logs before for Christmas, just left thim in the shed as had no immediate need for them. Opened them this morning to find moss still on some of the cut logs..... Put the moistiure meter on and gave reading of ove 50 per cent moisture. How the fcuk can Bord na Mona sell these as Kiln dried as still have moss growing on them or am I missing something?????

Yea, you live in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Very much doubt (hope) they wouldn't sell anything above 20% as kiln-dried. Much more likely that someone stored them outdoors for s period. IE the reseller. Air dried wood sitting a year would be down to 30ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Very much doubt (hope) they wouldn't sell anything above 20% as kiln-dried. Much more likely that someone stored them outdoors for s period. IE the reseller. Air dried wood sitting a year would be down to 30ish.

There in plastic Bord Na Mona bags, moss evident on logs seem to suggest it was never near a kiln. Even if they were stored outside the plastic would protect a bit against the moisture. These look freshly cut to me. I know if I had bought them, they would be going straight back. Some one is chancing there arm.

These are what they look like.https://www.topline.ie/plumbing-heating/cooling-heating/fuels/wood-fuels/bord-na-mona/kiln-dried-hardwood-logs
    Not saying anything against Topline, no idea where the person who gave them to me got them

There in plastic Bord Na Mona bags, moss evident on logs seem to suggest it was never near a kiln. Even if they were stored outside the plastic would protect a bit against the moisture. These look freshly cut to me. I know if I had bought them, they would be going straight back. Some one is chancing there arm.

No expert on this but would have thought that storing logs outside in sealed plastic bags would be an ideal environment for moss to form. With no proper ventilation there could have been a permanent dew on the inside of the bag creating a high damp humidity which moss would thrive on. Not saying thats what happened, just think it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stovecoal

Came across this post on Facebook. Cotter Bros Firewood in Limerick are increasing their prices for 2020.

They are a member of WFQA (Wood Fuel Quality Assurance) www.wfqa.org - which means all air dried firewood is less than 25% moisture.

In the post below Cotter mention focusing on kiln dried wood in the future as proposed new regulations mean wood over 25% will be banned and eventually over 20% will be banned.

I reckon other firewood suppliers will making changes like this soon.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1520480401434753&id=254379584711514

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

where does one get a moisture metre and how much do they cost

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cape Clear wrote: »

Amazon, between 10 and 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lidl and ALDI have them every so often and I think about a tenner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stovecoal

Amazon - I have this one - £17

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brennenstuhl-1298680-Moisture-Detector-MD/dp/B003CSNV2Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Brennenstuhl&qid=1577985185&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Over the hump of the wintertime and ending the extra time at home over the Christmas period and I still have about 40% of the original Co-Op pallet left.

The mild winter played a factor but i've used a fraction of the oil of previous years.

I'd saved about €1k in home heating oil by putting in extra insulation and smart thermostats. The firewood prob brought that down by another 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Over the hump of the wintertime and ending the extra time at home over the Christmas period and I still have about 40% of the original Co-Op pallet left.

The mild winter played a factor but i've used a fraction of the oil of previous years.

I'd saved about €1k in home heating oil by putting in extra insulation and smart thermostats. The firewood prob brought that down by another 400.

you saved a grand/1400? down from what?

is your gaff massive or did you have the heating on 24? that's big money

its hard to see how smart thermostats save much really, TRVs on each room as good as it gets really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭bailey99

Any good deals on wood in the cork area please? I'm a newbie to wood stoves so any advice welcome. What's the best wood to buy etc? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

bailey99 wrote: »
    Any good deals on wood in the cork area please? I'm a newbie to wood stoves so any advice welcome. What's the best wood to buy etc? Thanks!
    tinner777 wrote: »
    Pallets of (1m³) Hand Stacked Kiln Dried Hardwood
    €180 delivered free
    Murphy's fuels macroom
    http://www.murphysfuelsmacroom.com/

Any value in the above??

still have half of it

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭laros

Aldi will have them as a special buy next Thursday 16th January €11.99 they are advertised in the leaflet.

stovecoal wrote: »
    Came across this post on Facebook. Cotter Bros Firewood in Limerick are increasing their prices for 2020.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1520480401434753&id=254379584711514

Had looked at Cotters in Limerick before last September but as far as I can remember they werent doing nationwide delivery back then but they are now. From your link they are doing 2.1m3 delivered for 240 euro. Given the best on this thread was 199 for 1.2m3 that seems excellent value for money. It is even cheaper for people in the Limerick/north Kerry area as delivery costs are a lot lower.

Hows everyone getting on with their supply. Its been a mild enough winter so I havent been burning as much as I thought. Have about half of a 1.2m3 crate left. Not sure if it will get me though all the way to the end of March and especially not if we get a long cold snap. Might have to top up with 10 net bags from Woodies or similar at some stage in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭deisedav

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Had looked at Cotters in Limerick before last September but as far as I can remember they werent doing nationwide delivery back then but they are now. From your link they are doing 2.1m3 delivered for 240 euro. Given the best on this thread was 199 for 1.2m3 that seems excellent value for money. It is even cheaper for people in the Limerick/north Kerry area as delivery costs are a lot lower.

Hows everyone getting on with their supply. Its been a mild enough winter so I havent been burning as much as I thought. Have about half of a 1.2m3 crate left. Not sure if it will get me though all the way to the end of March and especially not if we get a long cold snap. Might have to top up with 10 net bags from Woodies or similar at some stage in spring.

I stand to be corrected on this but i think the cotters only do softwood. Running low enough on timber myself, got a pallet of net bags from surefirewood last time and will be using them next time too. Not the cheapest you can get but found the quality of wood to be excellent. A mix of oak, ash and beech with the logs a good size, not too big and not too small and all cut to the same length which is handy for stacking

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Can anyone recommend a good log supplier around the Dublin area or who delivers to the Dublin area?..

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Anyone buying ton bags of hardwood or softwood, how much are they asking now, theres a guy near me selling both in ton bags, 80 for hardwood(ash or beech i think)and 70 for softwood (spruce) seems ok to me, but he did say buy now and dont use until next winter so they must not be fully dry yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Can anyone recommend a good log supplier around the Dublin area or who delivers to the Dublin area?..

Thanks lads
    http://www.turftimber.com/
    Hard to beat these guys who delver free Dublin and Kildare. I've used last three years and the kiln dried is less than 10% moisture, not a spark in sight!!!

Advertisement