Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2019, 19:22   #76
InstaSte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
Who does valuations on any other good or service? As I said earlier, do we need a valuer to tell us what your second hand car is worth before you put it on done deal?

The consumer decides what they are willing to pay. Why do we need an EA to tell us what the dogs on the street already know except that they slap on 25%and take 1% of the sales price to hand you a brochure and send around some twenty year old in a flash blue suit and brown shoes on open day.
With a lack of knowledge and outlook like that I won't waste any more time trying to get through to you. Good luck trying to ever buy or sell a house of your own.
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 19:22   #77
InstaSte

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB. View Post
Surveyors.

If its a cash buyer, then it does not apply.

Rule of thumb with Estate Agents is once they start talking they are invariably lying. They have nothing to sell that they own themselves.
Ah ok, yes I forgot surveyors are also qualified valuers.
09-10-2019, 19:27   #78
Murt10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboy09 View Post
We have our house on the market the last couple of weeks. We had some viewings a fortnight ago, and according to the estate agent a couple of people were interested, although to date there have been no offers.

However, one of our friends called us on Friday evening to say that their work colleague (a cash buyer fwiw) is very interested in buying the house and had a viewing scheduled for Friday (news to us but we would have been keen to accommodate this) but that the estate agent called them on Thursday to cancel it - telling them that it didn’t suit the clients (us).

Hi OP.

I bought very recently through a local EA. I just happened into his office as it was across the road from my bank, where I had to do some business, and I had to pass it to get back to where I had parked my car.

Went into the shop. Had a look at his property list. Told him what I wanted and what area. I found one I was interested in and told him I wanted to view. We agreed a suitable time for the following Saturday Morning.

Prior to going to look at the house, I had a look on DAFT and the house was now listed as an open viewing for 1/2 an hour, at the time I had arranged to view. I arrived and looked at the house. Nobody else showed up.

After the viewing, I went off and looked at the other houses with open viewings in the area.

I thought the estate agent I was dealing with acted in a very professional manner. Ended up putting in an offer and buying the house.
09-10-2019, 19:47   #79
Fr_Dougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstaSte View Post
believe it or not there is now measures in place to prevent this happening, maybe do a bit more research on that front. It was indeed far more common in the noughties, rightly so agents got names back then for it.
I was gazumped twice in late 2016 when I was buying a house.
09-10-2019, 19:57   #80
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboy09
In any case we rang the EA and he said the enquiry came in via daft and didn’t go into his schedule - strange how it was there to be cancelled on the Thursday. He didn’t offer the interested party an alternative viewing date but said he would get back to them - and he hadn’t as of lunchtime anyway.
Any updates on the "cash buyer"? They must have viewed the property by now if at all interested
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 20:18   #81
STB.

Quote:
Ah ok, yes I forgot surveyors are also qualified valuers.

Why wouldn't they be ?

You asked the question. Doesn't RICS/SCSI set the red book ?
09-10-2019, 20:42   #82
Tickers

Quote:
With a lack of knowledge and outlook like that I won't waste any more time trying to get through to you. Good luck trying to ever buy or sell a house of your own.
Have done so several times and never used an EA.
09-10-2019, 21:02   #83
Babyboy09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
Any updates on the "cash buyer"? They must have viewed the property by now if at all interested
They have viewed it and decided against it. The silver lining is that we currently have two bidders battling it out.
09-10-2019, 21:27   #84
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboy09
They have viewed it and decided against it. The silver lining is that we currently have two bidders battling it out.

Good for you. Fingers crossed you get a great price

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion