Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-09-2019, 20:20   #1
Zulu

What to expect from HAP

I'm presently meeting tenants for a property I'm letting.
There are a number of HAP applicants and one seems OK.
If I lease to them, what can I expect from HAP?

They say they have been approved and have the deposit and 2 months upfront, but I believe the council are providing this, and I'm wondering how quickly they will provide this?

Ordinarily, I wouldn't let someone move in before I received the deposit and first months rent, but I suspect there'll be form filling etc with the council which will delay things. I'm also reading about the inspections etc that they carry out. And I'm struggling to see if it's worth the hassle frankly.

Can anyone (landlords) share their experience please? What am I getting into? And what can I expect?
Thanks.
Advertisement
29-09-2019, 20:47   #2
Fkall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
I'm presently meeting tenants for a property I'm letting.
There are a number of HAP applicants and one seems OK.
If I lease to them, what can I expect from HAP?

They say they have been approved and have the deposit and 2 months upfront, but I believe the council are providing this, and I'm wondering how quickly they will provide this?

Ordinarily, I wouldn't let someone move in before I received the deposit and first months rent, but I suspect there'll be form filling etc with the council which will delay things. I'm also reading about the inspections etc that they carry out. And I'm struggling to see if it's worth the hassle frankly.

Can anyone (landlords) share their experience please? What am I getting into? And what can I expect?
Thanks.
When through this process recently and its is very time consuming. For example the RTB confirmation email confirming registration of the lease is not sufficient to prove ownership. They require a copy of RTB letter sent 2-3 weeks after registration.

I also deleted a number of their standard terms and conditions which I found unreasonable.
29-09-2019, 21:01   #3
Zulu

So the tenants are in the house that long before payment?
29-09-2019, 21:15   #4
Fkall

In my case, it was the head tenant sub-letting a room in the apartment - As far as I am concerned rent is paid monthly in advance.
29-09-2019, 23:17   #5
Del2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
So the tenants are in the house that long before payment?
No. HAP are trying to do contracts in arrears but all residential lettings are paid in advance. You don't let the new tenants in till you have their deposit and rent paid.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion