Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump

• 07-05-2019 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

I contend that Donald Trump is the trickster, the Loki of our time.

Seemingly a clueless buffoon with a vocabulary of a twelve year old, but really a deft operator with a real understanding of how people work.

I've never seen so many people lose their **** over a guy who didn't really do that much wrong. Ostensibly because he calls people out and doesn't play the games that other adults play.

Seriously though to almost singlehandedly take on the Dems and republican establishment, the media and win despite it all.

He didn't miss a trick with the Tiger medal of freedom thing. You can tell he admires Woods (self-made guys cut from the same cloth vilified by the media etc).

Are people coming around to the great man.

I'm being half serious but there could be something there all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Trump is about as self made as Prince Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

He's an ass who appeals to the lowest common denominator.

I feel like people have learned a lesson though. If you're politically apathetic then you cause people like Trump to win elections and I think there's a solid chance he won't get past the post on the next election. Having said that if I was asked to vote Trump or Clinton I'd probably have had a hard time. Politics in the US, a country that espouses it's democratic values just seems f*cked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He's an ass who appeals to the lowest common denominator.

I feel like people have learned a lesson though. If you're politically apathetic then you cause people like Trump to win elections and I think there's a solid chance he won't get past the post on the next election. Having said that if I was asked to vote Trump or Clinton I'd probably have had a hard time. Politics in the US, a country that espouses it's democratic values just seems f*cked up.

The problem in the USA is that, far from "local", all politics is now Federal, i.e. a matter of Trump == Republicans == Bad, Plastic Fannies == Democrats == Good. This, ultimately, is why no-one gets anything done that's worth doing, the NYC subway is literally falling down on top of commuters, and the Supreme Court is wasting it's time every day on things like Funding for Transgender SUVs and Voting Rights for Unusually Shaped Rutabegas, instead of, oh I don't know, interpreting statute and the constitution. Everyone is terrified of being seen to agree with the wrong people.

The textbook example of this at the moment is the way everyone knows bloody full well that an ultra-corrupt Democratic administration, spearheaded by Bill de Blasio, is currently in the process of turning New York into the same sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland as Detroit and Baltimore. No-one, however, will do anything about it in the form of actually voting against them because anti-Democrat == Republican == Trump == microwaving all the little babies and putting them in ciabatta rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

He's clearly got something. He's the kinda guy that could be in a room with 3 great minds and come out on top because he has social dominance. He's so sharp. Look at him in the 90s, he was so polished and refined, now he's the loud mouth demigogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I contend that Donald Trump is the trickster, the Loki of our time.

Seemingly a clueless buffoon with a vocabulary of a twelve year old, but really a deft operator with a real understanding of how people work.

I've never seen so many people lose their **** over a guy who didn't really do that much wrong. Ostensibly because he calls people out and doesn't play the games that other adults play.

Seriously though to almost singlehandedly take on the Dems and republican establishment, the media and win despite it all.

He didn't miss a trick with the Tiger medal of freedom thing. You can tell he admires Woods (self-made guys cut from the same cloth vilified by the media etc).

Are people coming around to the great man.

I'm being half serious but there could be something there all the same.

That's an odd way of saying Trump is the greatest US president of modern times.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

He is almost as bad as Abraham Lincoln.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

notobtuse wrote: »
    That's an odd way of saying Trump is the greatest US president of modern times.

No.
    Just casually observing his presidency and that like so many things he's done before, is defying conventional wisdom.

That defying conventional wisdom is a pattern and arguably a defining trait.
    Like he knows something that others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Shoo. Shoo with politics in here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement