Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Islam and the progressive left?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

This is the best expression of a title in search of a thread that I've seen on boards

Probably ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think Muslims have every right be Muslims and hopefully they will experience an evolutionary cultural growth like Catholics did in this country in the last 20 or so years.

muslims haven't experienced any evolutionary cultural growth for 1400 years.

So what makes you think muslims will suddenly experience this growth?

If anything I think they are regressing back to whew islam began.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair, the exact same can be said about Christianity. The point of being a christian is that they are supposed to be christian first and a citizen second. There's also massive legal systems. Catholicism has it all codified in canon law. And catholics are even told to ignore certain parts of the law. So for example for catholics and marriage there are two different sets of rules about marriage.

And let us remember that if a criminal goes to confession and tells a RC priest that he raped and murdered some young child, the RC priest will defy the law of the land and not pass that information onto the relevant authorities.

The RC Church has sets in its laws that it will defy the law of the land.

But it's happy enough to take advantage of the tax dodging around christenings and weddings. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I find that "cultural relativism" tends to afflct those who have little or no direct experience of other cultures, only exposure to the documentary versions on TV or to selective contact with a culture's chosen representatives. Dealing with Muslims in the West is like visiting North Korea as a tourist: you see what they let you see, your experience is what they want it to be. There are certain things you're not supposed to know about, like FGM. Personally, I spent many years in Africa, so I've had the chance to compare what I saw there with how Africa tries to present itself to the world, and that was the cure for "cultural relativism" for me.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mart_in

old_aussie wrote: »
    muslims haven't experienced any evolutionary cultural growth for 1400 years.

So what makes you think muslims will suddenly experience this growth?

If anything I think they are regressing back to whew islam began.

What do you mean no cultural growth in 1400 years? Don't you thing it's really unfair generalisation?

• Advertisement
Advertisement