Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second-hand ladies bikes?

• 10-04-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

A friend is looking for a cheap ladies bike for commuting around town. She's not in a position to fork out a fortune, especially as she won't be doing lots of mileage. Her only requirements are "It must have a basket" :)

Are there any places around Dublin that sell decent second-hand bikes at decent second-hand prices? I know the usual caveats about buying second-hand, but somewhere that sells basic bikes that don't fall apart two blocks later would be ideal.

Or, if buying new, where's best for a basic ladies bike? Places like CycleWays (as per the Recommended Links sticky) always struck me as being aimed at the enthusiast looking to blow €500 minimum, rather than a beginner whose only requirement is for a basket ...

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

pgargan wrote:
    A friend is looking for a cheap ladies bike for commuting around town. She's not in a position to fork out a fortune, especially as she won't be doing lots of mileage. Her only requirements are "It must have a basket" :)

I wouldn't bother looking for a second hand from a shop, too poor quality for too much money. You might be able to get a good deal buying private second hand, but seeing as you can buy decent bikes new for ~E300 or less I would buy new.

Have a look at these bikes offered by CycleSuperstore: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/advSearch_h.asp?idCategory=39&fp=bnd&resultCnt=50

The Raleigh Metro or the Planet Newport are nicely equipped bikes complete with a rear load carrier, it should be possible to fit a basket to either bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

when is the next Garda sale? It might be an option? you can buy clip-on baskets in argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pgargan

when is the next Garda sale? It might be an option? you can buy clip-on baskets in argos.

I just missed it, unfortunately. It was at the end of March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Try buyandsell.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I think you're safer buying new anyway. As far as I can tell, at the Garda auction, you don't get a chance to check the bikes out properly (- many of them are closely stacked next to each other so you might have to take four or five others out of the way to view one). And as for taking one for a test ride...
    pgargan wrote:
    I just missed it, unfortunately. It was at the end of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

Mike's Bikes in Patricks Street in Dun Laoghaire always have a decent selection in good nick for around 100 Euros. They're fairly friendly there so you could give them a ring to check what's in stock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd say square wheel in temple bar , as they do that sort of stuff, but there is a waiting list , so if you aren't in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I got my bike second-hand from McQuaid's on Fitzmaurice Road in Ballygall (in between Glasnevin and Finglas). It was €100, has dual suspension, loads of gears, strong brakes and I've never had any problems at all with it - it was a great buy and I'm really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 norarafferty

Hi Im looking for a reasonably good SAFE ladies bike for my daughter age 23 to cycle to IADT??? Do you live in Dun Laoire????
    Nora

Advertisement