Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi folks,
    What weather app would you recommend.
    I find that YR was very reliable once upon a time but in the last couple of year's it's dreadful.
    I find Met.ie is reasonably good.
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tomorrow I reckon looks like the main bulk of storms breaking out early in Munster ( perhaps from mid morning but there could be some all night into the morning here ) and becoming widespread away from the East thereafter. Could keep going in the W , N/W until the mid evening.

For the crack thinking inside the green area could see storms tomorrow, and possibly the most intensification in the orange area. Munster looks to be more active earlier and lighten off in the afternoon perhaps.

VkWwMus.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    What weather app would you recommend.
    I find that YR was very reliable once upon a time but in the last couple of year's it's dreadful.
    I find Met.ie is reasonably good.
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers
    I find the UK Met Office app to be excellent for my location. It’s my go to app closely followed by Windy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looks like a nice bit of activity over the Tipp area. Any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭giveitholly

A bit late really,looks like the action is nearly finished in tipp anyway

I spoke too soon,massive claps of thunder and nearly 2000 homes without electricity outside tipp town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Well done to Munster today. Showed the rest how it's done.

There is a very weakly electrified cell due east of Rosslare now but it may not make it there intact. Most of the convection is surface-based and will therefore quieten down a good bit in the next few hours. Radiosonde data from SW UK this evening show little forcing for elevated convection so that may be it until tomorrow.

Last 10 mins of lightning
    8794_uam8.png

Latest satellite
    latest-ir-color_dzt3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Looks like a nice bit of activity over the Tipp area. Any reports?

My parents living in Tipp, between Thurles and Cashel, reporting the most incredible storm they’ve seen, right overhead.

Dad sent on this video, it’ll give you an idea!

https://youtu.be/HatKCp1PwW0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Great video Eadaoin! Love the cloud structure

Great video Eadaoin! Love the cloud structure

Yeah I’ve never seen clouds like that in Tipp before, pretty interesting!

Dad says some of the peals are so loud that all the slates in the roof rattle along with it. As you can see from the last rumble in the video, they’re even a bit much for him to handle lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

*eadaoin wrote: »
    My parents living in Tipp, between Thurles and Cashel, reporting the most incredible storm they’ve seen, right overhead.

That last thunder crack is class! I'm 15 miles away from there and went walking after the deluge and jumped with a similar one when i thought it was all over.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Hearing thunder from this mid Tipperary cell near Limerick city. I see that this cell is coming nearer to us and as it darkens the lightning become more visible. But looking at lightning maps.org it is not showing an awful of activity but it is impressive on Met.ie radar.

hawkwing wrote: »
    That last thunder crack is class! I'm 15 miles away from there and went walking after the deluge and jumped with a similar one when i thought it was all over.:eek:

I’ve only heard thunder once like that myself. A few years back living close to Dundrum in Dublin City. A few rumbles right overhead that were so powerful they set off loads of car and house alarms in the area - incredible stuff!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Hearing thunder from this mid Tipperary cell near Limerick city. I see that this cell is coming nearer to us and as it darkens the lightning become more visible. But looking at lightning maps.org it is not showing an awful of activity but it is impressive on Met.ie radar.

I've noticed that difference too. Lots more sparks on met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Is there any activity going to happen in waterford? The sky here is bluey/ purple at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

er1983 wrote: »
    Is there any activity going to happen in waterford? The sky here is bluey/ purple at the moment

Possibly, some south wales imports are heading that way
    Whether they are still electric later who knows
    Some of them are nearing hook head and rosslare currently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

er1983 wrote: »

Some activity just off Rosslare now. As its getting dark,if you look that direction you may see some lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I left a sunny clonmel at about 5.45 and it was a lovely 23degrees - by the time I got to Cahir it had dropped to 16 and clearly there was something fairly ominous in the skies - as we got onto the M8 closer to Cashel all hell broke loose and we had rain like I have never seen before in Ireland - it was close to what we saw in Florida last year which was serious !

Just starting to rain from that cell that formed over Tipperary in the Ballysimon area of Limerick. It looks like there is no electrical energy left in it as the cell is inclined to break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

There's a 50/50 chance of more storms moving across the South in next few hours. As ever with thunder it's very hit and miss but Cork could see some further action

I think that storm that made landfall in south Wexford will die off in the next hour or two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Very active on the South East Coast as the cell moves West towards Waterford City. Will it hold its energy is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Juicy SBCAPE around 1500 J/kg at the likes of Shannon and Knock airports at 12Z tomorrow (below). This figure should be well exceeded later in the afternoon as surface heating increases, also boosting the MLCAPE values. All of Connacht, Clare and Kerry should see good action, reducing further east of the Shannon. Should be a nice day wherever you are.

Shannon
    516310.png

Knock
    516311.png

Plenty strikes now showing up in the southeast area. A very active cell about an hour from Cork. Will it hold its power!?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Anyone know if Dublin could get any thunderstorms during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Cells sparking for Wexford and perhaps south Wicklow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

chris2007 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Dublin could get any thunderstorms during the night

Unlikely, couldn't rule out a rouge though

Very lively looking over Waterford and WExford now
    Am confident Cork Will Join In Before Midnight! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Seeing lightning to the south from here in Arklow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

*eadaoin wrote: »

the last one was great, I think he ran for it after that ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

10 minutes of non stop flashes over south waterford/wexford.

Don’t remember activity like this in years

Advertisement