Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GERALD FLEMING ON RTE LAST NIGHT

• 12-11-2019 7:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Did anyone see the special programme last night on Rte? I thought it was very much ott by showing large parts of Cork and Dublin flooded in 30 years time. Places uninhabitable in 30 years time is going too far imo!!

Yes climate is changing but come on like for half of Cork city to be under water is without solid foundation (pardon the pun lol)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Did George Lee make it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dubbrin

Did anyone see the special programme last night on Rte? I thought it was very much ott by showing large parts of Cork and Dublin flooded in 30 years time. Places uninhabitable in 30 years time is going too far imo!!

Yes climate is changing but come on like for half of Cork city to be under water is without solid foundation (pardon the pun lol)

The OPW walls scheme will make sure that Cork won't be flooded... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Dublin under water .... Seems like we have found a positive aspect of climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

When this country is pushing an agenda as hard as this you can be sure it sees pound signs somewhere. Tax,tax,tax and Joe public will be the ones paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I wonder did they mention this event from 1954

Did they factor in changes in the built environment? Building on floodplains, re-routing overflow streams, improved drainage especially on higher ground so the water moves faster into the tributaries? Or are they turning what is a civil engineering problem into something else?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I decided not to watch it after the promo showed buses floating down O'Connell st
    That's never going to happen in our lifetimes or our children's here
    Ridiculous

• Philip Boucher Hayes on Twitter this morning:
    Tweeting and posting cat videos comes with a €9bn and up to 6 million tons of CO2 price tag to Irish bill payers.

Yes. He posted it on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It was pure drivel, most of it is true but how they presented the facts appeared more like a TY project.

But per a capita we are one of the worst CO2 emmiters in europe but then we don't have nuclear power (if we had it we would still be on of hte worst).

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eii/eii18/greenhousegasesandclimatechange/

Residental is 9.8% of our emissions so even if we half it you will make sweet fa difference they need to tackle transport, energery and farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It was pure drivel, most of it is true but how they presented the facts appeared more like a TY project.

But per a capita we are one of the worst CO2 emmiters in europe but then we don't have nuclear power (if we had it we would still be on of hte worst).

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eii/eii18/greenhousegasesandclimatechange/

Residental is 9.8% of our emissions so even if we half it you will make sweet fa difference they need to tackle transport, energery and farming.

Server farms are a big culprit as well for producing CO2 and they are on the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭VeVeX

spookwoman wrote: »
    Server farms are a big culprit as well for producing CO2 and they are on the increase

They just buy carbon offsets. The whole thing is a scam, start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Ivy High Sunflower

spookwoman wrote: »

That's right, blame the farmers for everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Guess what tomorrows weather will be different from todays and the day after and the day after that.....it must be CLIMATE CHANGE:rolleyes:

There at it again on rte climate change documentary followed by another climate change prime time...What is wrong with rte...there is no bad news recently so you got to create a crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't think Fleming beli3ved it himself.
    You had a man who sold his house because it was somewhere around 10m above sea level and thought it was in danger. I wonder did he give it away to the next guy seeing as it was such a lost cause?
    Fleming said we will likely see 300 to 400mm rise in levels over to the next 30 years.
    That can certainly be Engineered out and is nothing more than what has occurred before for various reasons.
    Ironically, we also have towns flooding now due to Environmental bullsh1t.
    We have a situation where long maintained rivers are not now getting the maintenance such a dredging due to habitat concerns resulting in reduced flow capacity etc then climate change getting the blame. It's a tax scam for the most part.

They've a pure boner lately for all this climate muck, even the main news this evening was basically a climate special. Load of ****e. There must be a grant in it for them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't think Fleming beli3ved it himself.
    You had a man who sold his house because it was somewhere around 10m above sea level and thought it was in danger. I wonder did he give it away to the next guy seeing as it was such a lost cause?
    Fleming said we will likely see 300 to 400mm rise in levels over to the next 30 years.
    That can certainly be Engineered out and is nothing more than what has occurred before for various reasons.
    Ironically, we also have towns flooding now due to Environmental bullsh1t.
    We have a situation where long maintained rivers are not now getting the maintenance such a dredging due to habitat concerns resulting in reduced flow capacity etc then climate change getting the blame.
    It's a tax scam for the most part.

Actually when you destroy wetlands and build on floodplains you get far more flooding and that is the cause of many issues around the country - notably the Shannon. Dredging is an expensive, ineffective and destructive response to these issues and does little to address underlying problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

They build walls each side of the rivers and then put buildings a few feet away sure where else can the river go but up and over...what do they expect:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very one sided agenda driven programme tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Actually when you destroy wetlands and build on floodplains you get far more flooding and that is the cause of many issues around the country - notably the Shannon. Dredging is an expensive, ineffective and destructive response to these issues and does little to address underlying problems
    Plus its natural for rivers to flood and to change course. As you said building on wetlands is causing more issues but its also pushing up premiums and putting extra pressure on emergency services who have to go out and help these twats who build in known flood areas. Water is one of the most destructive forces on earth is eat away mountains etc and people are trying to control its flow. We all know who will win in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Fell asleep watching tonight's programme. I think since George took over the environment at Rte they've all gone into hyper mode. 10 years ago the economy had us doomed now it's global warming!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Actually when you destroy wetlands and build on floodplains you get far more flooding and that is the cause of many issues around the country - notably the Shannon. Dredging is an expensive, ineffective and destructive response to these issues and does
    We have situations now where drainage maintenance that was continually carried out for decades by public works is now not getting done primarily due to Environmental red tape with the result being poorer capacity in those systems leading to flooding. It's a simple fact and no amount of arguing that the bad men built in the wrong place will get around that.
    The maintenance I mention was not aggressive drainage that would destroy anything, much of it is cleaning of manmade culverts that served a very specific purpose and was required to keep water levels at a controlled level. My point is that the environmental red tape is stopping this type of work, meaning levels rise and flooding occurs. Of course when flooding does occur, the hippy types then point to that very occurance as proof of climate change. This results in even more environmental regulation and the whole thing rapidly heads towards disaster.
    I firmly believe that the local people should have far more input into these type of issues and perhaps things might not look quite so bad if they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

. . .

That's 10 to 13 mm per annum (that's about 1/2" per annum in old money). The real world trend is round about 30 mm (1.2") per decade and it has been in that ballpark for a long time, even the most recent studies only report either 1.7 ± 0.3 mm or 1.9 ± 0.3 mm per annum sea level rise. Good luck finding reliable data, you may as well be pulling numbers out of your ar** computer models.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

We have situations now where drainage maintenance that was continually carried out for decades by public works is now not getting done primarily due to Environmental red tape with the result being poorer capacity in those systems leading to flooding. It's a simple fact and no amount of arguing that the bad men built in the wrong place will get around that.
    The maintenance I mention was not aggressive drainage that would destroy anything, much of it is cleaning of manmade culverts that served a very specific purpose and was required to keep water levels at a controlled level. My point is that the environmental red tape is stopping this type of work, meaning levels rise and flooding occurs. Of course when flooding does occur, the hippy types then point to that very occurance as proof of climate change. This results in even more environmental regulation and the whole thing rapidly heads towards disaster.
    I firmly believe that the local people should have far more input into these type of issues and perhaps things might not look quite so bad if they did.

If only that was the case - sadly the example of what happened to the Newport river in Tipperary earlier this year illustrates the problem and was publicized with photos on various FB pages including Old Shannon River. OPW went in with heavy machinery and destroyed all the natural vegetation on a salmonoid river that was meant to be a SAC - no statement of works etc. that should have been required under national or EU law was adhered to. The net result was when a heavy rain event occurred in March, huge chunks of river bank collapsed into the river and ended up partially blocking a bridge further downstream. The water quality in the river was hard hit too due to the increase in silt and other contaminants entering river since the natural vegetation that would have filtered it and cleaned it was destroyed along a 5k section of the river - this will obviously increase siltation in the river in the medium to long term making flooding issues even worse, in the same way BNM operations in raised bogs along the Shannon have. My advice for anyone who cares for their local waterways would be to keep the OPW and Waterways Ireland well away from them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I didn't see the program myself - I was too busy pumping CO2 into the atmosphere flying home from Germany tonight - but I did see the promos over the past week or two and it was laughable. O'Connell Bridge knee-deep in water and talk of an 8-degree colder climate if the Gulf Stream cuts off. And this in only 30 years? Absolute nonsense, and more evidence that RTÉ is gone tabloid in in the race to the bottom in a desperate attempt to gain viewers and justify its existence. Funny how this Climate Week comes just as there's talk of all the job losses and need for licence reforms.

The Arctic hasn't lost any ice in over a decade, Greenland's melt has pretty much leveled off. Yet we have GF talking of 300-400 mm of sea-level rise in 3 decades? Surely he didn't say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

I didn't see the program myself - I was too busy pumping CO2 into the atmosphere flying home from Germany tonight - but I did see the promos over the past week or two and it was laughable. O'Connell Bridge knee-deep in water and talk of an 8-degree colder climate if the Gulf Stream cuts off. And this in only 30 years? Absolute nonsense, and more evidence that RTÉ is gone tabloid in in the race to the bottom in a desperate attempt to gain viewers and justify its existence. Funny how this Climate Week comes just as there's talk of all the job losses and need for licence reforms.

The Arctic hasn't lost any ice in over a decade, Greenland's melt has pretty much leveled off. Yet we have GF talking of 300-400 mm of sea-level rise in 3 decades? Surely he didn't say that?

I always trust your opinion on this forum, always the voice of reason but have you any links to explain the artic/Greenland ice melt or lack there off?
    I'm not doubting you but all mainstream media is saying the opposite.
    I'd be interested in seeing the data for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Well, you can see how much resistance there is to this concern - see above.

A very steep hill has to be climbed yet - this IS serious and it IS happening: but surrendering the indolent comforts we have become used to will take some doing.

Cork and Clonmel regularly flood anyway: parts of Dublin, too: a good old heavy rainstorm and a flood tide will demonstrate better than Gerry just how big a difference a small rise in sea level will make.

Denial is hard to tackle because denying is much more comfortable than believing: but watch this space.

Can you back this up please? There was a very good documentary last night from Greenland , local commercial fishermen interviewed. There was clearly no ice or snow right now, in November , where previously seas would have been frozen. Sledge dogs tied up as no snow for sledge transport , halibut fish weighing only 3kg now where a decade ago they weighed 10 kg, this is due to lack of natural food as marine species are dying off .

I don’t believe this is all guff or a scam . I don’t believe we should bury our heads in the sand ! Yes RTÉ coverage is OTT but change is happening. It may not affect us but it will certainly affect our kids and grandkids and that worries me .

RTE this week has just about topped North Korea in state sponsored propeganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RTE is spending its money on tabloid style TV programmes in a bid to desperately increase viewer ratings. The stuff they are producing is truely worthy of a whole raft of Saturn Awards. Alongside the doomsday buses drowning on O'Connell Bridge and amongst other things we are also supposed to now take dietary advice from extremist plant food activists such as Dr Marco Springmann in their other recent screamers piece on planetary destruction - "What Planet are you on". The same show where participants get paid for their 'wokeness'. You couldnt make it up - except they do ....

3g6nrt.jpg

I believe Al Gore came out with similar bs doomsday alarmism over a decade ago

armageddon-climate-change.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/3310137/Al-Gores-nine-Inconvenient-Untruths.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It may not affect us but it will certainly affect our kids and grandkids and that worries me .
    Why does it worry you? Assuming that omnipotent climate scientists are correct, in what way would a warmer Ireland be detrimental to future generations? Weather events in general were far more extreme in this country during the relatively cool climate period between about 1950 & 2000 than they tend to be in today's warmer and more benign period.

Thankfully, I did not watch that program because I tend to avoid RTE these days. Only so much grossly overpaid, nasally D4 establishment sycophants my brain can tolerate.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Liffey4A wrote: »
    I always trust your opinion on this forum, always the voice of reason but have you any links to explain the artic/Greenland ice melt or lack there off?
    I'm not doubting you but all mainstream media is saying the opposite.
    I'd be interested in seeing the data for myself.
    Can you back this up please? There was a very good documentary last night from Greenland , local commercial fishermen interviewed. There was clearly no ice or snow right now, in November , where previously seas would have been frozen. Sledge dogs tied up as no snow for sledge transport , halibut fish weighing only 3kg now where a decade ago they weighed 10 kg, this is due to lack of natural food as marine species are dying off .

Here's the full annual minimum Arctic sea ice volume dataset for the satellite era, with the trend for the past decade. In any case, sea ice has practically zero contribution to sea level.

493339.png

493341.png

Extent is similar. All data here.

491788.png

491765.png

Greenland melt area has reduced over the past decade. From here and here.

493427.png

493428.png

495185.PNG
    495186.PNG

Regarding Greenland fisheries, was that piece actually shot now in November? I didn't see it. In any case, the subpolar gyre is anomalously cold over the past several years and may be signalling the decline in the positive AMO we've had since the mid-'90s.

Advertisement