Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ninja Snow - February 17th-18th 2021 - Inland West/Midlands/High Ground

• 16-02-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up on a period of snow tomorrow night for a time:

GFSOPUK12_35_53.png

GFSOPUK12_37_53.png

FAX:

PPVI89.gif?31415

A double cold front pushes eastwards across Ireland introducing a brief cold spell ridging in from the west/northwest.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met Eireann mentioned this in their forecast and even Gerry said the word 'snow' in his 7.55am forecast this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wednesday night: Heavy rain will spread northeastwards over Ireland with a risk of flooding and some sleet or snow in places, mainly on high ground in the west. Some icy patches may form as lowest temperatures fall to between -1 to +3 degrees. Fresh to strong and gusty southerly winds in the southeast, elsewhere moderate to fresh and gusty cyclonic variable breezes. Winds will veer moderate to fresh westerly everywhere by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Ecmwf and ICON has the risk further west up across Connacht into west Ulster now. Latest Gfs also trending westwards. Interesting watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Hope it’s not another Letterkenny only event, which seems to happen a lot lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Weather on tv just mentioned the North West.

• Advertisement

Saturday was not a Letterkenny event it was rather widespread. Very marginal all the same tomorrow night. Could be a few surprised faces on Thursday morning.

The marginal events have been Letterkenny only events. The NW we had before the easterly is an example.

Anyway I would wager this will be a 200 metre + event for wet snow here and the vast majority of NI, maybe even higher for eastern NI.

The two usual suspects on netweather might get a dusting though.

Areas like Ballybofey, Barnesmore & Lifford for example normally do well in these marginal events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The marginal events have been Letterkenny only events. The NW we had before the easterly is an example.

It wasn't just letterkenny. Large parts of Donegal(especially Eastern)and West Tyrone. Parts of Derry. I'm sure other areas as well. Would be very weird if only letterkenny got snow and nowhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Cold enough for a frontal situation. Decent enough chance of some snowfall in these locations overnight tomorrow. Won't amount to much but it would be nice to see falling.

iconeu_uk1-42-39-0.png?16-16

iconeu_uk1-16-39-0.png?16-16

iconeu_uk1-18-40-0.png?16-16

iconeu_uk1-41-39-0.png?16-16

• Advertisement

And further east later on of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Kermits spoken. So it WILL snow.

Why does thread title say midlands inland SW

First of all the risk was in the east and south now models have started to bring it more westwards up over Connacht and west Ulster. Waiting for some of the models to verify.

pauldry wrote: »
    Kermits spoken. So it WILL snow.

Why does thread title say midlands inland SW

Updated thread title to keep in tune with shifting model trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Athenry looks rite in the firing line

Most likely be a Rainfall warning issued with a mention of some sleet and snow for a time in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Most likely be a Rainfall warning issued with a mention of some sleet and snow for a time in places.

Wow thanks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Th difference across models on this is very interesting!

Ninja Sleet now forecast bar mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sleet and snow risk has now transferred to the south Midlands. Temporary wet snow for a time. Wicklow getting some snowfall on high ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Sleet and snow risk has now transferred to the south Midlands. Temporary wet snow for a time. Wicklow getting some snowfall on high ground.

Is that according to one particular model or a blend of models?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Wexford, Wicklow and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southerly winds tonight will reach mean speeds of 50 to 60km/h with gusts of 80 to 100km/h, highest in coastal areas. Where winds are onshore there is a risk of coastal flooding around high tide.

Valid: 23:00 Wednesday 17/02/2021 to 05:00 Thursday 18/02/2021

Issued: 09:00 Wednesday 17/02/2021

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

According to Looks like there is a lot of pasting on the way, well that's my synopsis of MT'S forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

iagreebut wrote: »
    According to Looks like there is a lot of pasting on the way, well that's my synopsis of MT'S forecast

I must be reading the wrong thing as the closest thing I can see to anywhere being mentioned as getting a pasting in todays forecast by MT is "sleet over higher parts of west Munster and Connacht" tonight and you would be very well pushed to describe that as a pasting :confused:

The ECM and Arpege says snow for the Western half of the island but gfs doesn’t.

All depends on how far west the warm front heads and the intensity of precipitation.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The ECM and Arpege says snow for the Western half of the island but gfs doesn’t.

All depends on how far west the warm front heads and the intensity of precipitation.

ECM v GFS

Who wins?
    Well see.

Incidentally enormous thunder just a while ago in Sligo

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

highdef wrote: »
    I must be reading the wrong thing as the closest thing I can see to anywhere being mentioned as getting a pasting in todays forecast by MT is "sleet over higher parts of west Munster and Connacht" tonight and you would be very well pushed to describe that as a pasting :confused:

lol sorry,I'm in West Munster myself, should be in line for a pasting.

I should have mentioned my location,and I'm up high too .

85270087.jpg

iagreebut wrote: »
    lol sorry,I'm in West Munster myself, should be in line for a pasting.

I should have mentioned my location,and I'm up high too .

Nobody is getting a pasting. It will just be wet snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I have zero interest in this from a snow perspective, but will be keeping an eye on the small potential for a sharp squall line feature to develop south of that shallow low that is expected to move up through the country later this evening: (blue circle indicates area where it would be more likely to develop if it were to)

SyU1ACw.png

At the small chance that it does, then east Munster, Leinster and later east Ulster would be most at risk.

New Moon

Advertisement