Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dubh linn and an carraig dubh

• 24-10-2016 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the above. Blackrock is carraig dubh but Dublin comes from dubh linn. Was there a shift in Irish when nouns and adjectives were reversed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I don't know the grammatical details but using the compound wasn't a change, as far as I know, just a different way of expressing. Linn Dhubh could have been used, like it is in Cork for Black Pool.
    Likewise with An Charraig Dhubh. There are words in use like 'dubhfhocal' for conundrum/riddle and dubhaois for great age.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MixedMessages

Blackrock Road in Cork has streetsign of Bóthar na Dúcharraige.

I think that there are certain verbs that can precede a noun as a prefix as opposed to following the noun. Some that come to mind include:
    sean - seanfhocal; seanmhathair
    saor - saotstát
    príomh - príomhsráid
    meán - meánscoil

As for why New York is Nua Eabhrac , I do not know......

Advertisement