Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Blacks v Irish property developers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

What about the lads who hush you when a penalty is being taken? .... in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

What do you consider to be a sport?

I would consider any activity that requires fitness and skill.

Some of these rugby lads look fatter than Rick Waller - skill ? running and knocking people over with pure momentum - any fat guy could be a "world class" rugby player.
    Nonsense game.

Golf I wouldn't consider a sport either, it is skilled sure, but you have fat old men winning PGA world tours ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

What about the lads who hush you when a penalty is being taken? .... in the pub.

Haha, that is one of the most ridiculous things ever. "show respect". Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I would consider any activity that requires fitness and skill.

Some of these rugby lads look fatter than Rick Waller - skill ? running and knocking people over with pure momentum - any fat guy could be a "world class" rugby player.
    Nonsense game.

Golf I wouldn't consider a sport either, it is skilled sure, but you have fat old men winning PGA world tours ffs...

Ah, here... I hate rugby as much as others pretend to like it. But it is a sport. As is golf, which I also hate. It's possible to dislike a sport without needing to pretend that it isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The GAA get trounced if we play the Aussies in international rules, want to start having pops at them?

The coverage was over the top but that isn't unique to rugby, it's any sport we are seen to be doing well in.

Ireland have won more than lost against the aussies, the aussies usually have to resort to outright thuggery in order to win

That event has been dead for years anyway

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Come on mate. I apologised for hooking up with your girl. It was a one night stand. No need to slag off my whole country for it.

My girl doesn't understand mangled English so you were sh1t out of luck from the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

running and knocking people over with pure momentum - any fat guy could be a "world class" rugby player.

If that's true, surely you can list off lots of fat world-class rugby players.

Examples...?

If that's true, surely you can list off lots of fat world-class rugby players.

Examples...?

Cian healy has always been fat

Whether he is "world class", I'm not so sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

An awed hush descends across the country. Just the sound of respect and Ryle Nugent's self pleasure are broadcast, as Johnny Sexy carefully places the ball.

I laughed and laughed at the result. There's only a handful of teams who play the the sport and yet the shoulder-to-shoulder boys still can't get the quarters :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Keith Wood was a fat world class player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Cian healy has always been fat

Whether he is "world class", I'm not so sure

Cian Healy has a body fat percentage of about 10%.

You'd be incredibly hard pressed to find any "fat" top rugby player tbh. They would all be on strict diets and their fat levels monitored on a weekly basis.

Even prop forwards would be required to be between about 12 and 14% on the bodyfat scale. Very few backs will be over 10% barring an odd exception like Bastaureud

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

As a few in here have said, not a rugby can at all but the level of hatred on here is incredible.

It's a very accessible bandwagon sport that we happen to be top half in the world at.

jr86 wrote: »
    Cian Healy has a body fat percentage of about 10%.

You'd be incredibly hard pressed to find any "fat" top rugby player tbh. They would all be on strict diets and their fat levels monitored on a weekly basis.

Even prop forwards would be required to be between about 12 and 14% on the bodyfat scale. Very few backs will be over 10% barring an odd exception like Bastaureud
    His body fat percentage has ranged between 11 and 19 percent. 19% isn't fat but isn't classed as fit either.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

As a few in here have said, not a rugby can at all but the level of hatred on here is incredible.

It's a very accessible bandwagon sport that we happen to be top half in the world at.

8th best out of 10....again!

The rest are rank amateur pub sides, and tiny countries.
    Samoa has the same population as Co. Limerick.
    Tonga has a population less than Co. Waterford.
    Fiji population 900,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

The rugby team are a sham .

Glad they got called out on it for once .

I hope this disgrace knocks back the association 50 years, and they have to endure decades more of misery ...

I also hope they never win a game again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Yeah but once they beat NZ in a friendly... It was the greatest sporting achievement of all time. Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

His body fat percentage has ranged between 11 and 19 percent. 19% isn't fat but isn't classed as fit either.

Healy?

I would be beyond amazed if he was anywhere near 19% bodyfat at any stage in season (not injured)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

I think the problems arise because many Irish people can't connect with rugby players. Private schools and all that and then some of their behaviour off the field. The sexual stuff has been well publicised, pissing on people and all of that. Maybe that's part of the problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I think the problems arise because many Irish people can't connect with rugby players. Private schools and all that and then some of their behaviour off the field. The sexual stuff has been well publicised, pissing on people and all of that. Maybe that's part of the problem?
    Pissing on people is ok so long as they are adults and consenting .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

blinding wrote: »
    Pissing on people is ok so long as they are adults and consenting .

I don't think the pissee was consenting!

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Healy?

I would be beyond amazed if he was anywhere near 19% bodyfat at any stage in season (not injured)
    prepare to be beyond amazed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/how-cian-healy-used-post-it-notes-to-save-his-career-464356.html

I don't think the pissee was consenting!
    And no water proof pockets ! Amateur stuff for a rugby man !:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Pissing on people. They are used to that in Clongowes where the punishment is a spanking by Nanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

At least we still have the soccer team
    Edgware wrote: »
    Anther crowd of over rated ****

Not to mention over paid.

Next time you see the Irish soccer team standing around like the mannequins on a Foozball table and watch the ball ricochet around them with all the control of a car crash, consider the fact that none of those semi-skilled journeymen are earning less than a million quid a year.
    (or £20,000 a week if you insist on pretending that they are paid a working class wage in used fivers through the accounts hatch every Friday)

"Rugby is a game for gentlemen of all classes"

Edgware wrote: »
    Pissing on people. They are used to that in Clongowes where the punishment is a spanking by Nanny.
    Is nanny a looker ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

That's just marketing nonsense from Vodafone, I'm hopeful must people ignore such dross.

As evidenced by the few dozen people at the airport yesterday, teamofus is only when they win it seems.

Not to mention over paid.

Next time you see the Irish soccer team standing around like the mannequins on a Foozball table and watch the ball ricochet around them with all the control of a car crash, consider the fact that none of those semi-skilled journeymen are earning less than a million quid a year.
    (or £20,000 a week if you insist on pretending that they are paid a working class wage in used fivers through the accounts hatch every Friday)

"Rugby is a game for gentlemen of all classes"

Its gas that the professional classes and market economy types who tend to make up the rugby supporting fraternity, tend to ignore the fact that soccer players are paid like that because of those very same market forces that you all bow down to. Its vastly more popular than your minority sport with its 8 nations worth mentioning, thus it generates many multiples more money to distribute amongst those lucky enough to be able to play it professionally.

The rest are rank amateur pub sides, and tiny countries.
    Samoa has the same population as Co. Limerick.
    Tonga has a population less than Co. Waterford.
    Fiji population 900,000.

Ten is being generous.
    Its an irrelevance as a world game.

The fans let themselves down by booing during the Haka, you would have thought they would have been told when they were going to their private school that it's bad manners to do someting like that.

All of a sudden you're an expert:rolleyes:

I didn't hear any booing; I heard the Fields of Athenry being belted out, which I thought was great. I'm fine with the All Blacks doing the haka but they have no right to demand how other people react to it. It's a challenge, it can be met with a response.

The Irish fans singing their hearts out in reply was a great response. We should do it again. Next time.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Its gas that the professional classes and market economy types who tend to make up the rugby supporting fraternity, tend to ignore the fact that soccer players are paid like that because of those very same market forces that you all bow down to.

"The rain falls on prince and pauper alike"

We're all "market economy types"; the forces act on all of us and we have to adapt as best we can. It's not a question of "bowing down to them". This whole thread is about the affection and respect one feels is deserved of those who represent us internationally.

I like soccer but I prefer the Irish rugby team. Always have.

They're just better people. Regardless of their class.

Advertisement