Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claim or not?

• 04-10-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

We have a 141 Zafira and hit flooding the other day. Told by the Opel dealer Engine Control Unit gone and total cost will be €1,450.

Trying to find out if it's worth claiming on insurance. We're with its4women and paid €698 in July this year with 4 years NCB. [There was a claim in 2014 and my partner had points which will expired shortly after renewal so next year should be cheaper.]

We have an excess of €600.

Rang them to try and find out what the impact next year would be on a renewal cost wise so we can figure out if it's worth claiming at all as it would be for €850 taking into account the excess.

Will probably take 5 years again for the claim to have no impact on quotes/renewals. So if it goes up by say €150/year it's not worth it.

Can't really compare with the previous claim and its impact as that was when the insurance went up substantially in Ireland.

If anyone has any insights/thought would be appreciated.

Bert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NeilMcGrane

If excess is €600 I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

AnnieBert wrote: »
    Hi,

We have a 141 Zafira and hit flooding the other day. Told by the Opel dealer Engine Control Unit gone and total cost will be €1,450.

Trying to find out if it's worth claiming on insurance. We're with its4women and paid €698 in July this year with 4 years NCB. [There was a claim in 2014 and my partner had points which will expired shortly after renewal so next year should be cheaper.]

We have an excess of €600.

Rang them to try and find out what the impact next year would be on a renewal cost wise so we can figure out if it's worth claiming at all as it would be for €850 taking into account the excess.

Will probably take 5 years again for the claim to have no impact on quotes/renewals. So if it goes up by say €150/year it's not worth it.

Can't really compare with the previous claim and its impact as that was when the insurance went up substantially in Ireland.

If anyone has any insights/thought would be appreciated.

Bert

Definitely not.

You'll be hitting your claims history - which will not only increase your premium (even if your NCB is protected), but limit your insurance options in near future. It will be much faster to have it fixed with your own money too - the insurance company will take its time to assess and process paperwork...

Possible payout is only of €850... They might even try to cut this down due to car (and the parts being replaced) being 5 years old now.

I don't think it's worth it. Personally I wouldn't claim if it was twice as much...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

I would have thought the insurance company wouldn't entertain a claim.

One should mitigate potential costs by not driving through a flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AnnieBert

Hi,

Thanks for all you replies so far.

@Allinall, well it was dark and lashing it down on Saturday night, wasn't really expecting it.

Bert

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Definitely not a good idea claiming this through insurance

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement