Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else fed up of dating apps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Raconteuse wrote: »
    There are other types of women besides the Love Island clones so stop going for them!

Nothing less appealing, tbh.

I find there are a lot of fake profiles these days, way more than before, and they definitely change your view of what an a average woman should look like even though you know they’re fake. It’s an interesting but frustrating phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

But if she's pig ugly would you be bothered lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

cjmc wrote: »
    Aaw, that's just ruined my impression of you based on your name . :)
    lord no ....hot yoga artsy chick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    You need to watch out for the ones who want to go on a date within the first few messages.
    They generally have several dates a week and the date feels more like a job interview.
    I wouldn't be into developing something online because you don't really know them, so it's largely imaginary. Might be no chemistry in person. I did keep chatting for a good while to some people who were not local, but that was just because I enjoyed chatting to them. If I liked someone nearby I just met them for a coffee or a drink as soon as convenient. Keep everything easygoing, no buildup or pressure. Don't remember any job interviews. Mainly positive experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I wouldn't be into developing something online because you don't really know them, so it's largely imaginary. Might be no chemistry in person. I did keep chatting for a good while to some people who were not local, but that was just that I enjoyed chatting to them. If I liked someone nearby I just met them for a coffee or a drink as soon as convenient. Keep everything easygoing, no buildup or pressure. Don't remember any job interviews. Mainly positive experiences.

I don’t mean text endlessly either. I wouldn’t be into meeting someone online without a week of texting to build up a rapport.

I have come across some ladies who want to date almost immediately and I’ve felt that we hadn’t even got a rapport yet. Like literally 5 texts in. I see turning up on a date in that situation as a risk. I’m not into wasting my time like that.

The most recent example I said it to her that she was coming across as a serial dater and she denied it. Turns out I would have been her third date that week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Would you agree there is a good chance there ugly simply because they need to use a dating app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Tinder takes the romance out of dating but you can find some good ones on there. Problem is that it’s so hard for a guy. Everything is stacked against you; women’s preferences, the algorith, you can’t look too much like a **** boy but you can’t look too square either, finding the right pictures are impossible. Because girls don’t just look at the guys looks, they look at what kinda lifestyle a life with the guy may entail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Its true ....i made a male profile to see what the women were like ..they were ALL like that. SO not me

Strange behaviour making fake internet profiles

gwalk wrote: »
    Strange behaviour making fake internet profiles
    Yup....i even chatted to some people ....im very very strange

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Would you agree there is a good chance there ugly simply because they need to use a dating app?
    No...there are some curiosities ...as to why some people use them. Maybe its just tough to find a special someone in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Unless you are really attractive and have no problem meeting with multiple partners they are fairly useless, especially if you are heterosexually active. I mention this because the cruising apps have appeared to be a lot more successful with gay men in particular.

If you are a hetero sexual male who does not look like a boy band star they are completely useless, women will not select you without a picture and if you get cute trying to look cute you wont make it past the dinner table. Sad but true.

That is not to say that picking up sexual partners is any more easier without them, but it can become less systematic and cold. For example if you frequent the same bars or clubs etc it gives potential partners the added advantage of getting to know you over time, this helps a lot. Dating by nature can be a difficult exercise, what to do, where to go, what to say ,what not to say, they are a minefield.

It can be a lot easier forming a connection with a partner who you might see 3 or 4 times a month, at a similar venue or event, it allows to develop chemistries and invigorates things, like crushing or fancying someone, much more exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Yup....i even chatted to some people ....im very very strange

At least you admit it, plenty dont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Again, why are you letting these conversations go on like that? You are literally putting yourself at the mercy of others. Few messages, suggest a pint, and wait for a response. If they aren't interested, then why bother? At least demonstrate some value and ignore him/her if all they want to do is interrogate you. If they fancied you they would jump at the chance to go for a drink.

I don't go down that road with them anymore. What happens usually is I exchange a few nice messages with them and then they fcuk off or else they start stalling the ball and making excuses when the time to go on a date rolls around. I don't experience any of this nonsense with the ones I meet in real life the only reason I still go on the apps is to have my name in the hat I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I've been sick of the dating apps for years, but it's very hard to meet people without them.

I'm a lesbian and the pool is very, very small to begin with. Every time I get fed up with the apps and delete them, I realise they really are the option in terms of meeting people, the best of a bad lot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I suppose I'm pretty good looking and tall and in good shape and have no baggage and my own house etc etc, and being 39 women in their mid 30s tend to see me as a decent prospect! So it was always easy for me to go on dates whenever I wanted, although I could only handle being on the apps for a couple of months at a time. I spent a few years doing that but never really met anyone I liked enough until not too long long so I would think it was worth it in the end. It's good if it works for you but I can imagine it can be pretty tough for those without thick skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I suppose I'm pretty good looking and tall and in good shape and have no baggage and my own house etc etc, and being 39 women in their mid 30s tend to see me as a decent prospect! So it was always easy for me to go on dates whenever I wanted, although I could only handle being on the apps for a couple of months at a time. I spent a few years doing that but never really met anyone I liked enough until not too long long so I would think it was worth it in the end. It's good if it works for you but I can imagine it can be pretty tough for those without thick skin.

y004.gif?time=1568204498

Oh I'm far from perfect underneath it all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

It would be your modesty that would suck me in!!!!!!

It would be your modesty that would suck me in!!!!!!

He’s a compulsive liar :D

Oh and play an instrument well, chicks dig that

• Advertisement

Oh and play an instrument well, chicks dig that

Is it the flute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Amazing looking women on them and they up their own holes

Amazing looking women on a dating app = bat sh1te crazy

I feel ur pain op

All the “ any genuine men here “ headlines and in reality they after a geordie shore reject
    Just like the men going for them, who are going for an "amazing looking" Geordie Shore reject.

Partially your fault if you keep going for women like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Just like the men going for them, who are going for an "amazing looking" Geordie Shore reject.

Partially your fault if you keep going for women like that.
    Men are not the picky ones on dating apps. There's tonnes of data to show that.

mikhail wrote: »
    Men are not the picky ones on dating apps. There's tonnes of data to show that.
    Yet it's always the same type of woman they talk about. The Love Island ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I haven't been on a "date" since I had POF on the desktop. Back then you had to put a bit of effort into it, now you just swipe away on your phone. I usually just get ghosted on the apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yet it's always the same type of woman they talk about. The Love Island ones.
    If you want to focus on the toxic minority who focus on the toxic minority, you may be part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Proper cnuts to be honest

I think its yourself that might be the problem.
    Why would any woman be interested in a man to refers to women as crazy, stuck up and cnuts?

Maybe sort out your attitude and you might have better luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Met my missus on Bebo back in the days. Talked for a couple of weeks on it, met up when we were teens. Together sense. Never been on a dating app or website but I've friends who specially if out on a night out with would go on tinder looking for a one might stand and sometimes with success.

Im happy that I don't have to bother with all that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Met my missus on Bebo back in the days. Talked for a couple of weeks on it, met up when we were teens. Together sense. Never been on a dating app or website but I've friends who specially if out on a night out with would go on tinder looking for a one might stand and sometimes with success.

Im happy that I don't have to bother with all that crap.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    If you want to focus on the toxic minority who focus on the toxic minority, you may be part of the problem.
    How the heck would I be part of the problem?
    And the toxic minority is always what gets focused on.

Advertisement