Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philip Gilbert in Ireland in October for cycling event/sportif

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Yes..He stayed too long at Ag2R

Seems to me that Nico Roche didnt get the equipment, training,weight loss, etc right until he left Ag2R.... not really till he got to SKY and by then it was too late for personal ambition

Which has to be upsetting as I remember some of his races with AG2R and thinking, only the smallest bit of support and he would have won that stage, done really well in GC etc. He is a phenomenal cyclist still but age is now against him, really nice bloke as well from anyone I know who has met him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

So this is nearly upon us. - Anyone going? The wife is taking me out for it. Dinner Saturday night and the spin Sunday morning. I'll be keeping a close eye on what's plated up for Neecko and Phleepo and report back on whether or not they ate dessert. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

3 of going up from Galway for it.

fat bloke wrote: »
    So this is nearly upon us. - Anyone going? The wife is taking me out for it. Dinner Saturday night and the spin Sunday morning. I'll be keeping a close eye on what's plated up for Neecko and Phleepo and report back on whether or not they ate dessert. :)

It off season so suppose it will be fish & chips and sherry trifle all round

Make sure to ask a few good questions of Phil Gil esp about his monument wins and how is he going to complete the set with MSR

Would love to go but in London working

Some people flying over though

So enjoy yourself and report back all the gritty details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thinking about signing up

Thinking about signing up

The dinner is sold out I believe but cycle still has places

I'd say it will be a good event as lots gone into it ..plenty of time to speak with Phil and Nico during and afterwards , etc

And get your questions and photos in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MPFGLB wrote: »
    The dinner is sold out I believe but cycle still has places

Oh I was just referring to the cycle :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Signed up for the cycle on Sunday, good to get a ton in Wicklow while the weather is good

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!!

Best. Day. On the bike. Ever. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Probably deserves a more indepth, review. :)

So. We wento to the whole shebang. Meal last night, spin today. Me and the Mrs, cos we both cycle, aaaand.... we both eat dinner.
    The story seems to be that Nico Roche is looking to set up a company "The Project" which will offer cyclo-experiences, of many sorts, but for a start the likes of which we participated in today. They're learning as they go and they he fully admitted that they weren't yet as slick as they want to be but I think he was far too apologetic, I thought it was a really nice evening yesterday, a great location (Palmerston Estate is frickin awesome!) and it was a very enjoyable and generous dinner. Philippe Gilbert is obviously a huge draw for cycling fans and his just being there was incredible. Roche himself isn't a polished PR guy but I thought he was really interesting to listen to, very honest and insightful and both his and Gilbert's tales from the peleton were fascinating.

So that was that. Grand job as the man says. Today however was an absolute piece de resistance. Undoubtedly the weather helped immensely but the route was great, the marshalling was top notch, but by far and away what made the day was the accessibility of the two stars. They were around and present and available all day for chat and snaps, they rode the entire route with the group, and Roche was insistent that everyone stop in Laragh for coffee and a chat and photo ops. The start was very pace controlled, which you could be forgiven for thinking a pain in the a$$, but then you look around and see one of the lads pedalling away next to you or behind or up ahead and that was a large reason for the spin - that you would actually be cycling with the stars. Now the boys fairly put the hammer down at times too and rocked up the Wicklow gap, but there were several times when they paused to regroup as well. From Sally Gap on though the roadbook went out the window and they absolutely hoored it down from there. The pace car was told to shag off into the distance and it was head down and drive on! Was absolutely surreal to be racing along and to be on Gilbert's wheel or have Roche next to you hammering along (not by their standards of course but, certainly by mine!). I thought when they got to Kilbride and the main road that they'd ease off and control things again but they kept going. At one point I was at the head of a line on the N81 trying to bridge to the Gilbert group, with Roche directly behind me (!!:)), it was amazing....

and then I got a puncture! D'oh!

But tbh, the pace they were going, I doubt I'd have kept with them up the hill over to Rathmore from the N81, so at least I had my excuse.

A great day, really looking forward to the pics, and whoever they decide to bring over next year, consider me signed up. Was a tremendous debut for an endeavour that deserves to do well. Fair play to Nicolas and his partner, who was obviously very heavily involved in the organisation, and whose brainchild the whole thing apparently was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Taught it was a great day, 4 of us from Portumna CC in Galway came up and really enjoyed the route, scenery and meeting the guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Did the ride today, one of the best events Iv done. The two lads were great and marshalling and food stops great. Took a while to sign on they could probably do with a few more staff next time but minor complaints. Really enjoyed it as did everyone in our group, I hope they are back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Anyone know where the photos will be available?

Not sure. They must have billions of them to sift through, so it'll take a while. If you do find out come back and tell us!

Imagine they will be on the website at some stage if they are going to be anywhere

https://www.theprojectnr.com/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did the ride today, one of the best events Iv done. The two lads were great and marshalling and food stops great. Took a while to sign on they could probably do with a few more staff next time but minor complaints. Really enjoyed it as did everyone in our group, I hope they are back next year

Dammit probably would have made it out so. Woke up late and didn't think I'd make it over on time.
    Sounds like it went well, pity to have missed it- be interested again for the next one. Least some of my money goes to a good cause anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

fat bloke wrote: »
    A great day, really looking forward to the pics, and whoever they decide to bring over next year, consider me signed up. Was a tremendous debut for an endeavour that deserves to do well. Fair play to Nicolas and his partner, who was obviously very heavily involved in the organisation, and whose brainchild the whole thing apparently was.
    Looks like the experience of those with "the group" differed from those who weren't.

I did the shorter route and after hitting the N81, I may as well have been on my own, spent far too long trying to figure out if I was on the right route or not. And encountering other participants with similar issues. Not delighted to have to start getting the phone out several times along the way and check I was on the right route.

Registration was very slow too and while I wouldn't expect it to start on the stroke of 9 exactly, it was near enough to 10 when we got going.

Don't think they're problems that can't be resolved though. A couple dozen corriboards signs with arrows at any junctions around the course and a more streamlined sign on would serve them well for future events.

Perhaps it's not an event for people who aren't at the level of averaging 25kph+ on a route over the Wicklow and Sally Gaps though. But it'd be a shame if they're limiting their pool of participants to only people at that level.

That's a pity, as on the main route there was plenty of signage - arrows on the tarmac, signs posted, and indeed a motorbike marshall at every junction I encountered.

For example, when crossing the n81 in the morning there were gardaí to get us across safely as a group. But then coming home, I was on my own having punctured, the Gardaí were STILL there to shepherd me back across the N81. They saw me approach, stopped the traffic and gave me right of way. I was frankly amazed at that. And from there I went through 4 T-junctions and at each one there was a static moto-marshall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I missed out on the manor Kilbride part, as did quite a few other people. The registration and start are was a disaster. Only got to see their backs as they sailed off up the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Was due to start at 9.30 think it was delayed only about 15mins most people were getting pics with the 2 guys as they waited, I did the long route and was one of the best cycling days I ever had. Nico and Phil were great with us and stayed around after the spin to chat to everyone. Great route and very lucky with the weather.

Loads of photos up on the site now - follow the Facebook link. Done absolutely deadly shots

https://www.facebook.com/theprojectnr/

Or search Karen m. Edwards photography on Facebook

Advertisement