Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you convince people god exists?

Comments

So much of most people's belief in science is based on blind faith too though..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

CQD wrote: »

The problem being there's just too much for any one person to understand it all, and it's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've battled with belief for a long time, having been brought up to accept the norm. However, over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that a loving God could not let this happen, so I'm out.

If a God didn't allow cancer you'd say why is there starvation? Get rid of starvation you say why do folk fall down stairs,etc,etc,etc.

What you're talking about is an impossible utopia where the ultimate logical conclusion is a world where everyone lives the same perfect pain and trouble free life.

But like, even with the more out there chaotic mathematics for instance.. there's a beauty to it that would suggest a divine creator behind it..

who was it that said (I'm paraphrasing)..

'When you take a sip from the cup of science you may be an atheist, but when you finish it, there is God looking back at you from the bottom of the cup..'

kneemos wrote: »
    If a God didn't allow cancer you'd say why is there starvation? Get rid of starvation you say why do folk fall down stairs,etc,etc,etc.

What you're talking about is an impossible utopia where the ultimate logical conclusion is a world where everyone lives the same perfect pain and trouble free life.

So God is bound by natural laws that he's also credited with creating in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

There ain't any god

Look at this and tell me there is :

( Warning 4 year old with neuroblastoma )

https://imgur.com/ugnYTVh

• Registered Users Posts: 27,788 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Impossible... for an omnipotent super being? Why do we need a world at all? Let's go straight to the Utopia phase.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Have you taken antibiotics, or any prescription medicines? Come back to me and talk about blind faith when god saves your life, as opposed to the trained scientists who made the life saving medicine.

kowloon wrote: »
    So God is bound by natural laws that he's also credited with creating in the first place?

Well heaven is supposedly a utopia.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Impossible... for an omnipotent super being? Why do we need a world at all? Let's go straight to the Utopia phase.

You'd know the meaning of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

God knows everything. God rules the world. God allows floods, fires, kiddie fiddlers, tsunamis, everything. He must want everyone up in the clouds or something.

No one can argue that God is good if he allows such suffering. And it is usually towards the poorer cohort of society.

Sunk cost fallacy maybe for some so called believers.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Have you taken antibiotics, or any prescription medicines? Come back to me and talk about blind faith when god saves your life, as opposed to the trained scientists who made the life saving medicine.

What are you talking about?.. This is the level of considered debate one comes to expect from your generic atheist..

Explain to me so how antibiotics work..

You'd know the meaning of life.

If he needs to create a world in which children are afflicted by horrors every to prove his point, his meaning of life is evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

This subject matter clearly belongs in A&A, rather than AH.

If the relevant mods reopen the thread please familiarise yourselves with that forums charter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

More of a religious question i’d have thought. But, hey, it landed here - discuss!

Found that quote..

"The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you."
    Werner Heisenberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It's about identity. Their parents bring them up to believe it, so that belief is part of their identity and their sense of belonging to a group greater than themselves. Questioning those beliefs can therefore be seen as a betrayal. Some religions explicitly and extremely treat it as such.

Some people convert. They are joining a new group. Sometimes it's because they want to have a family with someone who is invested in it. Sometimes it's because they don't have a strong sense of identity or belonging. Sometimes you can't really get why they do.

The hijacking of family by religion is one of it's more subtle evils. Plenty of examples spring to mind of adult children having major issues with their parents because they don't conform to their beliefs, and their parents cannot accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There are no atheists in foxholes.

http://www.militaryatheists.org would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Atheism. The superstition that everything came from nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll bet it's more like South Sudan or Somalia.

Why did this thread end up in A&A?

Shouldn't it be in the Prison Soccer forum or Christians Against Everyone Else forum?

Anyway, Gott Mitt Uns, so if she's with them then I'm against her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

splinter65 wrote: »
    Atheism. The superstition that everything came from nothing.

Atheism is just about a lack of belief in a god or gods. Nothing else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Found that quote..

"The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you."
    Werner Heisenberg
    "this quote appears to be disputed" - attributed to Werner Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Beasty wrote: »
    Simply show proof. In this case I've never been presented with any proof and hence am not convinced
    It's called faith and it keeps a lot of people happy in their lives so let them be. I know plenty of people who will say there's no proof of a god so it doesn't exist but ask them if there's extra terestrial life out there they'll say of course there is we can't be the only planet out of billiions that's inhabited. Why need proof of one and not the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's called faith and it keeps a lot of people happy in their lives so let them be. I know plenty of people who will say there's no proof of a god so it doesn't exist but ask them if there's extra terestrial life out there they'll say of course there is we can't be the only planet out of billiions that's inhabited. Why need proof of one and not the other?

It was only a few years ago that the Vatican came out and admitted there may be aliens after spending millenna preaching earth was a unique creation by god
    Think it was in A Brief History of Time that Hawking proves god doesn't exist in a single paragraph

But heaven is a place on Earth, there's even a song about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

For those with faith no sweat for those without it - not a hope ,one shouldn't have to convince anyone of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Religion, together we will find a cure.

Religion, together we will find a cure.

...because prayer solves everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It isn't so easy to prove God exists, but impossible to reasonably know He does not exist.

• Advertisement

but impossible to reasonably know He does not exist.

Very easy for an atheist or anyone else who isn't Christian

Advertisement