Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Religious hate-speech in the UK or fearless speaker of truth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Well for one, he of the many silly titles, you are misquoting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,052 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Making me out to be some sort of Nazi for not agreeing with the left wing consensus
    I am making you out as somebody who repeatedly tells people what to think, but despite repeated invitations fails or refuses to offer any reasons why they should think that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Making me out to be some sort of Nazi for not agreeing with the left wing consensus

That word literally appears once in this thread. In this post of yours no less.

I don't understand what you get out of this victimhood narrative.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There's a link above in one of my earlier posts.
    Article starts off with "Tommy Robinson says he has sacked his lawyers and intends to get himself sent back to jail when he appears in court this week for a contempt hearing " which, with the benefit of hindsight, we can say is absolute nonsense. Tommy put forward a robust defence, and as a result The Recorder of London chucked the case out of the Old Bailey and would have nothing more to do with it.
    I can't read the article any further because I am unwilling to enter my details to subscribe to this nonsense.

Recedite, The Magnificent One

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a key part of his victimhood narrative. If he doesn't get sent to prison, he can't peddle his "Poor me" schtick. In fairness, there are plenty of morons willing to give him sufficient funds to buy a house in a gated community for nearly a million pounds. He's making bank doing this and the same idiots funding him don't see it.
    Former assistants to Robinson said he scooped a “massive payday” when he was jailed for contempt in May, earning huge public visibility and hundreds of thousands of pounds in donations.

Source.

Of course it doesn't suit your confirmation bias and you can't have that.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

It's a key part of his victimhood narrative. If he doesn't get sent to prison, he can't peddle his "Poor me" schtick. In fairness, there are plenty of morons willing to give him sufficient funds to buy a house in a gated community for nearly a million pounds. He's making bank doing this and the same idiots funding him don't see it.

Source.
    Of course it doesn't suit your confirmation bias and you can't have that.
    It doesn't matter how many times you link to the same article. We're still waiting to see where this million pound house is.

And its still a nonsense article (and its still not publicly available without subscription).
    The "massive payday" refers to the fact that worldwide opinion recognised that he had been unlawfully imprisoned yet again, but this time a crowdfunding campaign raised enough money to pay his legal bills.

As a result he was able to take an appeal all the way to the UK Supreme Court where the Lord Chief Justice quoshed the unlawful conviction and ordered his immediate release. That effectively disgraced the judge who had originally ordered police to snatch him off the street and imprison him.

What does this tell us? It tells us that despite coming from a humble background, Tommy is intelligent and learns all the time. With every legalistic stitch-up perpetrated on him, it becomes harder for the authorities to lock him up next time.

With every lying media report it becomes harder to maintain the fake narrative that he is a common criminal.

He now has enough experience and enough money in his legal defence fund to ensure that he will never again be unlawfully locked up.

Recedite, The Sustaining One

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

recedite wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how many times you link to the same article. We're still waiting to see where this million pound house is.

And its still a nonsense article (and its still not publicly available without subscription).
    The "massive payday" refers to the fact that worldwide opinion recognised that he had been unlawfully imprisoned yet again, but this time a crowdfunding campaign raised enough money to pay his legal bills.

As a result he was able to take an appeal all the way to the UK Supreme Court where the Lord Chief Justice quoshed the unlawful conviction and ordered his immediate release. That effectively disgraced the judge who had originally ordered police to snatch him off the street and imprison him.

What does this tell us? It tells us that despite coming from a humble background, Tommy is intelligent and learns all the time. With every legalistic stitch-up perpetrated on him, it becomes harder for the authorities to lock him up next time.

With every lying media report it becomes harder to maintain the fake narrative that he is a common criminal.

He now has enough experience and enough money in his legal defence fund to ensure that he will never again be unlawfully locked up.

Recedite, The Sustaining One
    So why, oh self-titling-one, does the media do this?
    Please outline your conspiracy theory here.

Ahhhh... Everything that doesn't suit recedite's confirmation bias is fake news. Such a shocking twist.

One would think Stephen/Paul/Andrew/Tommy could simply sue for libel and use the proceeds to buy many chairs for disabled kids.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Criticising crazy superstitious religions is not hate speech especially one as totalitarian as islam freedom of speech must not be stiffled for religious and cultural sensitivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Mutant z wrote: »
    Criticising crazy superstitious religions is not hate speech especially one as totalitarian as islam freedom of speech must not be stiffled for religious and cultural sensitivities.

There's a difference between criticism of a religion and the demonisation of its followers. In short, no yaxley lennons thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Odhinn wrote: »
    There's a difference between criticism of a religion and the demonisation of its followers. In short, no yaxley lennons thanks.

Pointing out the less than reasonable behaviour of some of its followers is not demonisation this sort of shyte needs to be called out for what it is not buried because it may be seen to be offensive to a particular group.

Mutant z wrote: »
    Pointing out the less than reasonable behaviour of some of its followers is not demonisation this sort of shyte needs to be called out for what it is not buried because it may be seen to be offensive to a particular group.

Unfortunately lennon does indeed indulge in demonisation, and has a long history with far right groups. Once is a mistake, twice and three times?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The more ppl complain about Tommy the more media attenion he gets. Thanks guys. Usefull fools.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

AllForIt wrote: »
    The more ppl complain about Tommy the more media attenion he gets. Thanks guys. Usefull fools.

Nah, the more people that are reminded about his past activity the more they will know exactly what type of person they're dealing with. Given that Yaxley-Lennon changed his name to that of a famous LGBT activist pop-star, people could get confused. Really, what was he thinking?

The useful fools are the people bankrolling him.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I assume when all you virtue signallers are finished spewing hate against Tommy and his friends, you will donate a little something towards her wheelchair?
    In the context, referring to your fellow posters as "virtue signallers" does not amount to civil discourse.

Please read the charter which has been update today.

Its a Brave New World when the label "virtue signaller" is unacceptable but "bigoted scum bag" is perfectly fine.

Its a Brave New World when the label "virtue signaller" is unacceptable but "bigoted scum bag" is perfectly fine.
    Can you please point out, or better still, report the post in which one forum poster has referred to another forum poster as a "bigoted scum bag"?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Imo there's a large section of society that just wants to bury its head in the sand.

The useful fools are the people bankrolling him.

I have no idea what your talking about. I find it interesting that you as a TR detractor know more about him than your do about all the ppl who are involved in Pakistani paedofille rape gangs.

Can you tell me one name of the hundreds of Pakistanis men who were convicted. Probably not but Mohammah Islam would be a good guess.

Yet you seem to know Tommy Robbinsons life inside out which I find peculiarly odd. You appear to find a bitta social prejudice to be even worse than the Pakistani paedofille rape gangs. How odd that that would be your major concern. Weird even.

It is my opinion ppl like you that are directly responsible for these Pakistani paedofille gangs getting away with what they did for so long.

The only way to counter these Pakistani Paedophille gangs is first to recognise they exist and then we can do something about it. But nutters dont want to recognise they exist so they continue on.

Utterly disgusted with this thread the way it has gone. Intellectual discusion forum my ass.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what your talking about. I find it interesting that you as a TR detractor know more about him than your do about all the ppl who are involved in Pakistani paedofille rape gangs.

Can you tell me one name of the hundreds of Pakistanis men who were convicted. Probably not but Mohammah Islam would be a good guess.

Yet you seem to know Tommy Robbinsons life inside out which I find peculiarly odd. You appear to find a bitta social prejudice to be even worse than the Pakistani paedofille rape gangs. How odd that that would be your major concern. Weird even.[................................] discusion forum my ass.

When you're involved in as many court cases as he is, details filter out.

The pretending to care about raped girls routine has been falling flat for some time now, I'm afraid.
    Yet you seem to know Tommy Robbinsons life inside out which I find peculiarly odd. You appear to find a bitta social prejudice to be even worse than the Pakistani paedofille rape gangs. How odd that that would be your major concern. Weird even.

Google exists.
    It is my opinion ppl like you that are directly responsible for these Pakistani paedofille gangs getting away with what they did for so long.

It is my opinion that this is one of the stupidest things I have ever read and the fact that there are many people who sign up to this sort of anti-intellectual, hateful stupidity just illustrates that they resemble the sort of snowflakes they claim to deride.
    But nutters dont want to recognise they exist so they continue on.

I'd ask for proof but it's obvious to anyone who hasn't fallen hook, line and sinker to the sort of US identity politics you're excreting that this is just drivel.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The only way to counter these Pakistani Paedophille gangs is first to recognise they exist and then we can do something about it. But nutters dont want to recognise they exist so they continue on.

Utterly disgusted with this thread the way it has gone. Intellectual discusion forum my ass.

You're right, it is very odd that people seem to know so much about the life of the notoriously publicity shy Stephen Yaxley Lennon.

The pretending to care about raped girls routine has been falling flat for some time now, I'm afraid.

Uggh what a disgusting conment but hardly surprising coming from someone who is quite happy to conceal the nationality of the rape gangs cause ya think it the right-on thing way to proceed. I feel physically sick reading your right-on garbage.

Uggh what a disgusting conment but hardly surprising coming from someone who is quite happy to conceal the nationality of the rape gangs cause ya think it the right-on thing way to proceed. I feel physically sick reading your right-on garbage.

Can you quote me where I said I was happy for rape gangs' nationalities to be concealed?

H. H. Asquith

You seem to have entirely missed the point of this thread. Nobody is anyway forgiving of the crimes that these gangs have committed, and I for one certainly would like to see all involved prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The fact that these particular men are all Pakistani and Muslim however doesn't suggest that all other Pakistanis or Muslims should be held to account for their actions. If you look at Dublin gangland killings in the last decade, the bulk of the criminals involved are Irish Catholics. Does that make all Irish Catholics criminal scumbags? Does being a Catholic from the North of Ireland make you an IRA gunman or bomber, or a Protestant from the North a UVF a loyalist gunman? Clearly not, yet Tommy Robinson has used the crimes of a very small minority of the English Pakistani Muslim community as an excuse to publicly attack and demonise Muslims living in the UK. To this extent he's been permanently banned from twitter for hateful conduct. That's why I and many others label him as a hate monger. In my opinion his actions seek to polarise and divide communities in such a way that will lead to an increase rather than decrease in violent crime between these communities. I think he's well aware of this and is willing to accept the harm he's doing to further his own agenda, which in turn is why I think he's a scumbag.

In many years of moderating this forum, that comment misses the mark as wildly as any I can recall. And we've had creationists in the forum!
    Intellectual discusion forum my ass.
    Mod: A conversation is only as high as you bring it yourself, so if you're finding it intellectually unrewarding, you might try raising your game a little beyond "your ass".

I would hate to have to take out the moderator's clue stick if this proves too hard for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

smacl wrote: »
    You seem to have entirely missed the point of this thread.

You seem to have entirely missed the point of this thread. Nobody (of any sense) is calling 'all' the folks who have similar cultural backgrounds as the folks in the..
    (Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Telford, Leeds, Birmingham, Norwich, Burnley, High Wycombe, Leicester, Dewsbury, Middlesbrough, Peterborough, Bristol, Halifax or Newcastle 'gangs')

I.e. Mostly pakistani-muslim males, with (each) gang, having hundreds (if not thousands) of victims, that are all specifically (young) (white) girls.
    ...As all bring 'of the same ilk', that would be silly. But it would also be silly to ignore that there is a trend 'above average' for these type of incidents to have certain profiles of perpetrators.

Generally, people are only bringing to light this distinct trend, ideally to address the issue, ideally with better prevention, education and integration.
    Is it also wrong also to bring attention to the fact that there is about 300% more Muslims are in prisions in Eng & Wales, that Christian white folks?

If it's a fact, then how can it be wrong, to even mention it? Should this also be brushed under a carpet, and never mentioned again?

You seem to have entirely missed the point of this thread. Nobody (of any sense) is calling 'all' the folks who have similar cultural backgrounds as the folks in the..
    (Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Telford, Leeds, Birmingham, Norwich, Burnley, High Wycombe, Leicester, Dewsbury, Middlesbrough, Peterborough, Bristol, Halifax or Newcastle 'gangs')

I.e. Mostly pakistani-muslim males, with (each) gang, having hundreds (if not thousands) of victims, that are all specifically (young) (white) girls.
    ...As all bring 'of the same ilk', that would be silly. But it would also be silly to ignore that there is a trend 'above average' for these type of incidents to have certain profiles of perpetrators.

Generally, people are only bringing to light this distinct trend, ideally to address the issue, ideally with better prevention, education and integration.
    Is it also wrong also to bring attention to the fact that there is about 300% more Muslims are in prisions in Eng & Wales, that Christian white folks?

If it's a fact, then how can it be wrong, to even mention it? Should this also be brushed under a carpet, and never mentioned again?

Wrong, a famous quote of Robinson / Yaxley-Lennon is as follows;
    Every single Muslim watching this... on 7/7 you got away with killing and maiming British citizens... you had better understand that we have built a network from one end of the country to the other end... and the Islamic community will feel the full force of the English Defence League if we see any of our British citizens killed, maimed, or hurt on British soil ever again.

What he's doing here is taking the crimes of a tiny minority and pinning them on a vast population to suit his own highly bigoted narrative. I take your point that Muslim men are over represented in prisons in the UK, but that begs the question why? You would seem to be asserting, and correct me if I'm wrong, that is is primarily because of their religious and racial background, as opposed to socioeconomic background or another of many other possible correlations. If this is not your assertion, why highlight it? Similarly, you have to ask how much the actions of the far right increase racial and societal tension to such an extent that they're causing violent crime. You're right that these things need to be studied and understood, but that doesn't seem to be what's going on here so much as opportunism by the right wing to cause division and conflict for their own selfish gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Wrong, a famous quote of Robinson

Not familiar with Robinson, and wouldn't have any time to conisder his ramblings, he's probably not the smartest not the smartest cookie in the jar.

Meant that the average poster (here), or anywhere else, wouldn't tar them all with the same sweeping generalisation. But...

...they would recongise there is an 'alarming statistic' amongst the typical profile of the hundreds of the many grooming gangs in Eng, that prety exculsively on thousands upon thousands of white girls as has been shown.
    I take your point that Muslim men are over represented in prisons in the UK, but that begs the question why? You would seem to be asserting, and correct me if I'm wrong, that is is primarily because of their religious and racial background, as opposed to socioeconomic background or another of many other possible correlations...

Yes, they are overpresentated by about 300%, and also for specific crimes against the person also. Why indeed?

Likely economics plays a factor. Afterall how many young pakistani child-bearing women go to University, or are allowed career enhancement. It's more likely they are discourged, that is a 'cultural fact'. Their husbands would most likely prefer them to stay hidden away and bring up their offspring.

So it all goes back to integration, but you can't force that. So instead education, but that's not easy. So alas all you can do is discuss it (not brush it under a carpet), with the hope of social education, and then better social integration, later (maybe generations later).

Advertisement