Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

If I recall correctly it was about a week and a half in advance. I'd have to dig up the thread though.

Overall i'd say the charts look impressive tonight but exercise some caution if spreading the word just for now. Give it a couple more days.

Restrain yourselves! :pac:

Too late :o

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

If I recall correctly it was about a week and a half in advance. I'd have to dig up the thread though.

Overall i'd say the charts look impressive tonight but exercise some caution if spreading the word just for now. Give it a couple more days.

Restrain yourselves! :pac:

I’m trying to bite my tongue believe me 🙈🙈 I’ll do my best to hold out until at least Wednesday 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Having a quick look around the "10 day forecasts" just for a bit of research and the only one going for any snow at the moment is timeanddate (from Sunday evening to Wednesday), I thought yr.no would have been first on this but there you go.

Also doing small boring tasks like this help keep a person from running around in circles shouting "snow snow snow". If the charts are still the same there is plenty of time for that from Thursday evening onwards... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

kittyn wrote: »
    I’m trying to bite my tongue believe me 🙈🙈 I’ll do my best to hold out until at least Wednesday 😂😂😂😂

Too late here..I've started spreading the word already.ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A few basic things people can start doing at very low or zero cost:

Pack a hi vis, torch, couple of blankets, bars of chocolate, water into the car. Fill up with a strong mix of windscreen washer fluid. Check your lights / tread depths / tyre pressures too.
    Find the ice scraper / de icer and keep it by the door
    Root out the hat and gloves
    Top up with oil / gas / other consumables
    If you're in the country a cheap folding snow shovel and small bag of salt are no harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Thanks Kermit and it’s great to see you M.T. And the rest of the “big names” on here going for it too. It’s really exciting. I’ve been around since before the 2010 event and it ignited my interest in winter weather forecasting since. The banter around 2010 was great and I’ve been here through all the build ups and disappointments since. Hard going at times. I leave the actual forecasting to you guys though as I still am not up to scratch with terminology and chart graphics etc. It’s great to read though and you learn so much especially at times like these. So thank you all and enjoy the buzz this week ;)

At the risk of getting batted over the head with a big shiney snow shovel ... what’s it like for north Donegal during this time? Or is that a question for two days time? Will there be any possibility of dry fluffy white stuff here or if it appears at all will it only be a few cms again. I’m
    Not a fan of location questions but I just .. can’t .. stop.. myself ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont like frozen roads/pipes and left housebound. Dya know how bloody boring rural Galway can be :pac:

I've only just got the TV back lastnight

I am from rural Galway and I have butterflies from excitement!
    Then again I am an avid hillwalker and winter climbs are my favourite.
    The colder the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Akrasia wrote: »
    Balls, my garden pond has frogspawn in it for the first time and I had been really looking forward to watching them develop with the kids. Hopefully they'll survive a sharp frost..

Same here - I think they can survive some frost but if its a 2010 type event I do fear for them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Would I be right in thinking Jan 1987 is the best comparator to what is forecast? Feb 1991 is the other one that comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met Eireann moving to the dark side.....

“Extended outlook: Some uncertainty exists, but indications suggest it will be very cold with frosty nights and there is a risk of some wintry showers, especially in eastern areas.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

[IMG][/img]2h7e43o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Can you put a cover over it? A tent-like structure?
    They'll be ok unless its a hard freeze like 2010. I might try and scoop it out and put it into an old fish tank for a week or so if its as bad as that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

An even better skew-T for Dublin for Wednesday next week as the GFS has a low sliding up from the south. Much deeper saturated cold profile all the way to 300 hPa, with a -15 °C isothermal layer from 750-600 hPa adding plenty of moisture right where it's needed in the dentritic growth zone.

442227.PNG

Early on Thursday Cork gets pummelled as the snowshield goes inop. Massive totals possible if that were to come off. Great to see these charts turning up for Ireland. Whether they verify or not is another matter.

442228.PNG

442229.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

[IMG][/img]2h7e43o.jpg

Possibly the saddest looking picture of him too! I do hope he has a hot water bottle and a stress ball to tide him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is exciting stuff folks! Hopefully it’ll come and then all be gone by the time I go to Paris in a few weeks time :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

GFSOPUK12_204_5.png

Chilly night! -8c. And the GFS usually under-estimates overnight lows here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rodar08 wrote: »

At the risk of getting batted over the head with a big shiney snow shovel ... what’s it like for north Donegal during this time? Or is that a question for two days time? Will there be any possibility of dry fluffy white stuff here or if it appears at all will it only be a few cms again. I’m
    Not a fan of location questions but I just .. can’t .. stop.. myself ..

If the Greenland high option as currently depicted comes to fruition after the initial easterly, then it is very good news for you. Back in 2010 parts of Donegal had 20-30 cms of snow in a similar scenario. I'm not saying the same will happen this time, but you would see decent accumulations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Early on Thursday Cork gets pummelled as the snowshield goes inop. Massive totals possible if that were to come off. Great to see these charts turning up for Ireland. Whether they verify or not is another matter.

Over a foot of snow for rural Cork!

GFSOPUK12_252_25.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I think I must be one of the few people who isn't happy about the SSW and the cold weather it's about to bring us. I have a trip to Northern Norway and Sweden starting on Saturday and the temperatures all winter in Sweden (Abisko) have been in the -20C range. With the freezing weather are generally clear skies, perfect for Aurora hunting. Now with the SSW, the temperatures for next week are forecast to go from -17 on Thurs this week to -3 on Saturday through Tuesday. With the warmer weather comes the clouds which is not great for observing the Aurora:mad: On the positive, at least I won't freeze to bits standing around watching:pac::o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Last time I can recall snow with temperatures that stayed below zero for a significant period of time was the late 80's, there was about 3 inches of powder snow all over the roads in central Dublin for about 4 days, and it caused traffic chaos, firstly because the snow ploughs of the time couldn't cope with it, and partly because the people trying to drive in it hadn't a clue how to do so, which meant huge numbers of people slipping and sliding all over the place using the wrong gears and techniques to try and get around.

The snow ploughs would clear a lane along a road, and the wind promptly proceeded to blow it straight back out into the cleared track again almost immediately, and because it was so powdery, it didn't pack into a sheet of ice like it normally does, so there were completely different problems when trying to get around.

IF this happens as is being threatened, it's going to be more than interesting to see how the relevant services respond to it, while it's still not graven in stone, there's no way that anyone will be able to say that they weren't warned about what is coming, there's been low level speculation about this event for several weeks, and as it comes closer and becomes more defined, the people responsible for clearing roads, and the like, should be putting the appropriate response plans into place now to ensure that the critical services needed to keep things going are in place.

It will be interesting to see when the panic buying at the supermarkets kicks off, and what other things suddenly become "critical".

If this evening is anything to go by, the Boards servers are in for a rough ride over the next couple of weeks, we will know it's getting bad when this thread is growing faster than we can read it.

Time to go and check things like heating oil levels, just in case, and make sure that the other essentials are in place.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gets a lot more promising when the big models align somewhat.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/965622818187677702

Z1BHYYr.gif?1

LZefSer.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Last time I can recall snow with temperatures that stayed below zero for a significant period of time was the late 80's, there was about 3 inches of powder snow all over the roads in central Dublin for about 4 days,

Back in 2009/2010 I recall three weeks of snow cover here, snowed first then the deep freeze kept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

Arghhh!

I haven't posted here since the cold spell in 2010, I'm always lurking, learning(thanks to the more knowledgeable posters here) and inevitably getting prematurely excited about any hint of a deep easterly. Good to see this being upgraded and an agreement of sorts being made across all the models, even if it is early days!

I know I should calm it down but I can't help feeling excited when there's a few hundred people showing up on the weather forum and a chance I might get to live out my snow survivalist fantasies!

I'll try to hold off warning people of Snowmageddon and jinxing it. I'll try. Here's to seeing similar charts maintaining the cold on Thurs/Friday!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I refuse to get excited until next Saturday! Bah humbug...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »

I’m trying so hard not too Doc but it’s looking pretty good for us 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

DOCARCH wrote: »

Haha. You're just worried if you can delete posts quick enough :)
    We'll soon be like a bunch of kids on red bull

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

leahyl wrote: »
    This is exciting stuff folks! Hopefully it’ll come and then all be gone by the time I go to Paris in a few weeks time :-D

I was in Paris just before Christmas in 2010, there was a lot of snow! It was absolutely magical and made the place even more beautiful. Are you travelling for business or pleasure? There was very little disruption getting around the city and the only issues occurred when we were getting the train to CDG and flying home to Ireland, I'd advise leaving plenty of time for that if these charts materialise. Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snow_bunny wrote: »
    I was in Paris just before Christmas in 2010, there was a lot of snow! It was absolutely magical and made the place even more beautiful. Are you travelling for business or pleasure? There was very little disruption getting around the city and the only issues occurred when we were getting the train to CDG and flying home to Ireland, I'd advise leaving plenty of time for that if these charts materialise. Enjoy your trip!

It’s for pleasure, never been before. Did they have to close the Eiffel Tower only last week because of snow?! I’m not going till the 9th though so hopefully anything we get snow wise will have cleared by then lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Last time I can recall snow with temperatures that stayed below zero for a significant period of time was the late 80's, there was about 3 inches of powder snow all over the roads in central Dublin for about 4 days, and it caused traffic chaos, firstly because the snow ploughs of the time couldn't cope with it, and partly because the people trying to drive in it hadn't a clue how to do so, w.

I know people who are accomplished at driving in snow might laugh at this, but for those who aren't- it might be worth reading this:

How to tackle driving in the snow

Wear comfortable and dry footwear
    Accelerate gently, use low revs and change up to a higher gear as quickly as possible
    Move off in second gear as this will help reduce wheel slip - some cars have a winter mode, which does the same job – so to check whether your car has this function in the vehicle’s handbook

Get your speed right and maintain safe stopping distances between you and the car in front, leaving as much as 10 times the normal recommended gap
    Prepare for an uphill by leaving plenty of room in front so you can maintain a constant speed without the need for changing gear

Use a low gear for going downhill and try to avoid braking unless necessary, make sure you leave plenty of space between you and the car in front

When approaching a bend, brake before you actually start to turn the steering wheel. If your car does lose grip try not to panic; the key thing is to take your foot off the accelerator and make sure that your wheels are pointing in the direction you want to go in

If you do encounter a skid, steer gently into it - for example, if the rear of the car is sliding to the right, steer to the right. Do not take your hands off the steering wheel or stamp your foot on the brakes

When driving in heavy snow, make sure that you use your dipped headlights. Relying on daytime running lights is not enough, because they don’t always put lights on the back of your car.

If visibility drops below a 100m, put your fog lights on. But remember to turn them off when the visibility improves.

If the road has not been gritted, be wary of driving in the wheeltracks or other vehicles as compressed snow is likely to be more icy than fresh snow

Controls such as the brakes, as well as the steering, accelerator and even gear changing should be operated smoothly and slowly

Sunglasses can help to reduce the glare of low winter sun on the snow
    Keep your speed down and allow more time to stop and steer

Finally, it’s important to think about the environment that you’re driving in, especially microclimates that might appear on the road. These are areas that perhaps the sun hasn’t got to, which could stay icy when the rest of the road has thawed. Bridges are a good example. They’re normally the first to freeze and the last to thaw. So be aware of that when you’re driving in open spaces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement