Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Transit camper build

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Only just spotted this, great thread. Converting a camper is on my long list of life projects, although I’d imagine it’s a lot harder than ye have made it look, some tidy skills!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So the RGI lad came today and did a bit of the gas fittings. We got the sockets and RCB wired up too, finished making the frames at the back except for the lids, which we will do tomorrow. Table is cut too, just needs fixing to the floor, door back on the gas box, and more messing around with the door trims
    IMG_3045.jpg

Where did you get your sockets from? They’re really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

alastair wrote: »
    Where did you get your sockets from? They’re really nice.

They look like modular systems pick n mix :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campervan-Triple-Socket-Frame-CBE-Double-3-pin-240v-Sockets-12v-Lightswitch/251317974474?hash=item3a83b7f5ca:g:T0oAAOxy7S5SBiig

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Small mod! Adds 30bhp :)

48_BAB038-797_A-48_F7-_A5_A8-968_ACB6_BD232.jpg

K so it seems postimg.org has shat itself and URLs for pics need to be changed to .cc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How's the build going???

Any finished pics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Pics are working for me

Very small job today, the van didn’t come with these little rubber strips in front of the windows, they just fill a gap really. Saw some on one that was being scrapped a few weeks ago.

55297_A80-0_C3_B-4674-_A3_F5-4325_C97_B37_F8.jpg

Some 3M tape and she’s good to go!
    7_F8_BB3_F7-_CD59-443_C-8119-184_AA94_DF124.jpg
    E3_A902_F0-_B7_B5-40_AA-_BADD-_E22_EBB3_AEF61.jpg

Fixing the pics on these as postimg.org had a meltdown so old url is invalid and original posts are too old to edit.
    Myself and my friend are converting a SWB low roof Ford Transit to a campervan.
    It's not going to be the biggest one out there, but will be ideal for festivals, beach trips and short trips away.

It started out as a minibus
    IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg

The first job is to completely strip out the interior of the rear. This wasn't a factory built minibus to start with, so it was pretty simple to get everything out.

Seats unbolted, stuck-on carpet round the windows taken off and side panels removed

IMG_1762.jpg

Next job was to put some bubble wrap style foil insulation up

IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg

• Advertisement

The keen-eyed among you will have spotted the rust around the wheelarches. There was also patches underneath, the sills have held up pretty well though.

IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg

Neither myself or my friend can weld, so it was sent off to get fixed. Nice tidy job done.

IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg

Next up is the socket for 230v

IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg

Electrical gubbins ready to go in
    IMG_1747.jpg

One socket and window-tint later :)
    IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg
    Next up is the socket for 230v

IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg

Electrical gubbins ready to go in
    IMG_1747.jpg

One socket and window-tint later :)
    IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg

Now for some mods!

The standard plastic wheel was a bit gacky so my friend pulled it out of the bag and covered it with an eBay special. Looks and feels a million times better now.

IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg

Now for some mods!

The standard plastic wheel was a bit gacky so my friend pulled it out of the bag and covered it with an eBay special. Looks and feels a million times better now.

IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg

Newer spec tail lights fitted.
    IMG_1737.jpg
    Really freshens up the rear end, along with the tints.

Newer spec tail lights fitted.
    IMG_1737.jpg
    Really freshens up the rear end, along with the tints.

Next step is to run all the 230v wiring over the inside of the roof and to the various points where it'll be needed. There was also a lot of 12v wiring to be hidden too, for 12v sockets, lighting etc. The bubble insulation is added to with that scratchy fibreglass type stuff

The floor is getting bubble wrapped (cutting it out in this pic) and getting a sheet of thin corrugated plastic before getting the ply floor over that.
    The floor is an off the shelf Transit floor.

IMG_1615.jpg

The wall panels are also premade. In retrospect this is something we could have easily done ourselves. Test fitting one here.

Fitted a damp proof course (Dealz dust sheet)
    IMG_1629.jpg

Next step is to run all the 230v wiring over the inside of the roof and to the various points where it'll be needed. There was also a lot of 12v wiring to be hidden too, for 12v sockets, lighting etc. The bubble insulation is added to with that scratchy fibreglass type stuff

The floor is getting bubble wrapped (cutting it out in this pic) and getting a sheet of thin corrugated plastic before getting the ply floor over that.
    The floor is an off the shelf Transit floor.

IMG_1615.jpg

The wall panels are also premade. In retrospect this is something we could have easily done ourselves. Test fitting one here.

Fitted a damp proof course (Dealz dust sheet)
    IMG_1629.jpg

A couple of crashed Skodas were cannibalized for their interior lighting

IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg

A couple of crashed Skodas were cannibalized for their interior lighting

IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg
    Cabling routed through the factory ducting, and then there was light
    IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg
    Cabling routed through the factory ducting, and then there was light
    IMG_1732.jpg

Next job is to fit the other lights into the roof ply. The roof panel can be reused from the original minibus conversion but will have to be cut down a little to fit the new walls.

I made boxes for the lights just in case they came in contact with the insulation, which is conductive.

IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg

Test fit, all good.
    IMG_1728.jpg

Next job is to fit the other lights into the roof ply. The roof panel can be reused from the original minibus conversion but will have to be cut down a little to fit the new walls.

I made boxes for the lights just in case they came in contact with the insulation, which is conductive.

IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg

Test fit, all good.
    IMG_1728.jpg

This was the most fiddly part.

In my infinite wisdom, I decided that it would be nice to completely box around the windows and have the ply come up to the roof, rather than the much easier gluing the wall material directly to the metal around the windows. Figured it would look more professional and neat, plus you'd have window ledges for putting stuff on, and it might make adding curtains or blinds easier.

IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg

The glass is curved too, which made this more of a pain. This will all be carpeted over. All edges smoothed off now. Same craic on the passenger side.

All cavities bubble wrapped with bubble wrap and filled with insulation. Roof bubble wrapped and insulated too. Wheel arches insulated and boxed off.
    IMG_1775.jpg

Screw holes starting to be filled and sanded. Roof partially up and wiring ran for the lights. (Will be connected to a leisure battery.)

This was the most fiddly part.

In my infinite wisdom, I decided that it would be nice to completely box around the windows and have the ply come up to the roof, rather than the much easier gluing the wall material directly to the metal around the windows. Figured it would look more professional and neat, plus you'd have window ledges for putting stuff on, and it might make adding curtains or blinds easier.

IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg

The glass is curved too, which made this more of a pain. This will all be carpeted over. All edges smoothed off now. Same craic on the passenger side.

All cavities bubble wrapped with bubble wrap and filled with insulation. Roof bubble wrapped and insulated too. Wheel arches insulated and boxed off.
    IMG_1775.jpg

Screw holes starting to be filled and sanded. Roof partially up and wiring ran for the lights. (Will be connected to a leisure battery.)

Next job in is getting the 12V electrics working. This was another fiddly one, sourcing the right parts and getting everything to fit neatly. The fuse boxes came from The Range, the isolater switch and the leisure battery and one of the battery leads came from Halfords (thank you trade card!) the smaller bits like crimp connections and the cable going from the battery to the fuse box were got in Maplin. My friend got the split charge system online, the outer casing for the fuse box came from B&Q

IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg

We will have to make a bracket for holding in the second battery. The small square box is the split charger. This disconnects the leisure battery from the van battery when the engine is turned off so you don't run down the van battery. The isolater switch adds a layer of protection and should prevent the battery draining over time.

Next job in is getting the 12V electrics working. This was another fiddly one, sourcing the right parts and getting everything to fit neatly. The fuse boxes came from The Range, the isolater switch and the leisure battery and one of the battery leads came from Halfords (thank you trade card!) the smaller bits like crimp connections and the cable going from the battery to the fuse box were got in Maplin. My friend got the split charge system online, the outer casing for the fuse box came from B&Q

IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg

We will have to make a bracket for holding in the second battery. The small square box is the split charger. This disconnects the leisure battery from the van battery when the engine is turned off so you don't run down the van battery. The isolater switch adds a layer of protection and should prevent the battery draining over time.

• Advertisement

Finally, a fun job!

You gotta have a reversing camera right? Hooray for eBay.

Specific fitment camera replaces one of the old number plate lights.
    Handy place to mount the screen too.

IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg

It works, trigger for the reverse light done, just can't find a 12v ignition feed. Haven't checked the radio yet but the 2 cigarette lighter sockets are permanent live. Does anyone know if it's just a matter of swapping a fuse like it is on other Fords?

Finally, a fun job!

You gotta have a reversing camera right? Hooray for eBay.

Specific fitment camera replaces one of the old number plate lights.
    Handy place to mount the screen too.

IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg

It works, trigger for the reverse light done, just can't find a 12v ignition feed. Haven't checked the radio yet but the 2 cigarette lighter sockets are permanent live. Does anyone know if it's just a matter of swapping a fuse like it is on other Fords?

Second half of the ceiling finally up tonight!

IMG_1786.jpg

Bit of sanding to do so the carpet will be perfectly smooth. The dark patches are glue from before, looks like there's a leak but there isn't -thank gawd
    IMG_1789.jpg
    Ply around the window looks a bit strange in this pic, it's just black paint around the edge, looks completely crooked!
    IMG_1790.jpg
    Another slightly unusual job. I am probably a bit too particular about how the carpet will sit. Time will tell if isopon was the right tool for the job here. I can't see it cracking as everything fits tightly.

Will sand it again tomorrow, but once it's the right shape for the carpet it'll be grand.

Second half of the ceiling finally up tonight!

IMG_1786.jpg

Bit of sanding to do so the carpet will be perfectly smooth. The dark patches are glue from before, looks like there's a leak but there isn't -thank gawd

IMG_1789.jpg
    Ply around the window looks a bit strange in this pic, it's just black paint around the edge, looks completely crooked!
    IMG_1790.jpg
    Another slightly unusual job. I am probably a bit too particular about how the carpet will sit. Time will tell if isopon was the right tool for the job here. I can't see it cracking as everything fits tightly.

Will sand it again tomorrow, but once it's the right shape for the carpet it'll be grand.

The sockets arrived today, nice neat jobs, they're specifically for campers and caravans.

IMG_1795.jpg

My mate also got the carpet, so I messed around with fitting some of it. It's stretchy enough, so hopefully it will stretch into the corners of the window openings.

IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg

The sockets arrived today, nice neat jobs, they're specifically for campers and caravans.

IMG_1795.jpg

My mate also got the carpet, so I messed around with fitting some of it. It's stretchy enough, so hopefully it will stretch into the corners of the window openings.

IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg

Doing a bit more on the windows

IMG_2853.jpg

Doing a bit more on the windows

IMG_2853.jpg

Ah windows!
    IMG_2856.jpg

Ah windows!
    IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg

Looks bumpy for some reason but isn't in real life.

IMG_2866.jpg

My mate fabricobbled a battery clamp from a Corolla to make it fit.

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg

Looks bumpy for some reason but isn't in real life.

IMG_2866.jpg

My mate fabricobbled a battery clamp from a Corolla to make it fit.

Battery clamp cleaned up, trimmed down and repainted

IMG_1829.jpg

Drivers side trim nearly finished
    IMG_1836.jpg

Battery clamp cleaned up, trimmed down and repainted

IMG_1829.jpg

Drivers side trim nearly finished
    IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg

Did a bit more today. Floor down, more trim added, doors retrimmed.

IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg

Did a bit more today. Floor down, more trim added, doors retrimmed.

Didn't get to this till late this evening but next step today was making the kitchen cabinet. Picked up the worktop in the Ikea bargain corner. It's a table top originally but ideal for what we needed.
    Made up the frame for the cabinet, the outer sheets will be fixed to this frame. This will house the gas bottle, waste and fresh water tanks, a cutlery drawer and general storage.

IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2918.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg

Didn't get to this till late this evening but next step today was making the kitchen cabinet. Picked up the worktop in the Ikea bargain corner. It's a table top originally but ideal for what we needed.
    Made up the frame for the cabinet, the outer sheets will be fixed to this frame. This will house the gas bottle, waste and fresh water tanks, a cutlery drawer and general storage.

IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2918.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg

Not much to report today :(

This arrived though
    IMG_0219.jpg

Better stock photo
    IMG_0220.jpg

Spent a good while cutting out for it, the worktop is hollow, so will be reinforcing the section around the cooker/sing with solid wood inside, basically filling in the gap. should make it cope better with possible heat and moisture.

IMG_1885.jpg
    Water cans came too.

Messed around with making the boxes at the back too, just seeing how things will line up etc.
    IMG_1888.jpg
    Middle slips of timber are there just as spacers to keep things square

Not much to report today :(

This arrived though
    IMG_0219.jpg

Better stock photo
    IMG_0220.jpg

Spent a good while cutting out for it, the worktop is hollow, so will be reinforcing the section around the cooker/sing with solid wood inside, basically filling in the gap. should make it cope better with possible heat and moisture.

IMG_1885.jpg
    Water cans came too.

Messed around with making the boxes at the back too, just seeing how things will line up etc.
    IMG_1888.jpg
    Middle slips of timber are there just as spacers to keep things square

• Advertisement

Did a bit more work on the rear seats tonight while my mate cut the hole in the floor for the gas vent. It's a bit more time consuming the way I'm doing it, but it should have a nicer finish with no visible screw holes. Filled in the gaps in the hollow worktop too so it'll be super solid now. Also slightly damaged the worktop in my haste. Should be able to repair it handy enough hopefully.

IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg

We did a lot of planning out for the kitchen unit too in terms of drawer and door sizes, location of gas box, water cans etc, so hopefully by the time I'm finished work tomorrow he'll have gotten the door openings cut out of the front panel and we can start fitting the drawer, securing the sink/hob etc.

Did a bit more work on the rear seats tonight while my mate cut the hole in the floor for the gas vent. It's a bit more time consuming the way I'm doing it, but it should have a nicer finish with no visible screw holes. Filled in the gaps in the hollow worktop too so it'll be super solid now. Also slightly damaged the worktop in my haste. Should be able to repair it handy enough hopefully.

IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg

We did a lot of planning out for the kitchen unit too in terms of drawer and door sizes, location of gas box, water cans etc, so hopefully by the time I'm finished work tomorrow he'll have gotten the door openings cut out of the front panel and we can start fitting the drawer, securing the sink/hob etc.

Advertisement