Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here comes the Judge, my 69 GTO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Today was indeed front brake install day… first step was to install the new wheel studs into the billet hubs

IMG_8151_zpsqr5mbqcf.jpg

The hub is drilled so it can be used on either Pontiac or Chev wheel bolt patterns, so I screwed the studs in by hand & then tested them on a wheel before committing to some red Loctite & a whack of the torque wrench, sadly the new studs are a different thread pitch than the stock studs in the rear axles, so I may have to swap them out, for now it will mean having a different set of wheel nuts front & rear

IMG_8153_zpsbz5tlf3k.jpg

IMG_8152_zpsqy1vq4u4.jpg

IMG]https://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/Daved_XB/The GOAT/IMG_8154_zpso80kkle5.jpg[/IMG]

These Wilwood brakes are a multi part piece of kit, so next job was to bolt the brake rotor to the adapter plate

IMG_8155_zpshs8j5wdo.jpg

IMG_8156_zpsctzs9pgx.jpg

Then the rotor/adapter plate assembly is bolted to the hub

IMG_8158_zpsyykv2hsp.jpg

IMG_8159_zps9f7qvdnx.jpg

Then I packed the inner bearing & installed that & the dust seal into the hub

IMG_8160_zpsnjgdkcm3.jpg

Next step was to install the caliper bracket onto the spindle, these have to be shimmed to fit as the engineering on these cars isn’t exactly too NASA levels of exactance…. So I went with a guess of 4 shims for the lower bolt as you can see from the 2nd pic

IMG_8164_zpssfdgjgha.jpg

IMG_8165_zpscwqtxzzy.jpg

Then you install the rotor assembly & then you can measure the top & bottom gap from the bracket to the disk & either add or remove shims as required until you have the same gap from the bracket to the rotor top & bottom

IMG_8166_zpssm8e0oz6.jpg

IMG_8161_zpswk2eyluf.jpg

IMG_8163_zps6cevsaek.jpg

Once you have that sorted then you can put the split pin in & screw on the billet cap

IMG_8167_zpsiuqpyqki.jpg

Then you install the caliper & again measure the gaps, this time left & right of the rotor faces to the caliper wall so you can shim the caliper so that the rotor is in the middle of the caliper

IMG_8168_zpsimrg6boh.jpg

Then you install the pads & you are done

IMG_8169_zpsimfbdhcw.jpg

IMG_8172_zpsncg0alb6.jpg

IMG_8171_zpsyunwtyhl.jpg

They give you a wheel spacer in the kit too as some wheels won’t clear the caliper

IMG_8179_zpsqpo1t7cu.jpg

IMG_8180_zpsm53yxlsf.jpg

IMG_8181_zpslincslv0.jpg

I test fit a wheel on mine, not that I ever even remotely thought I’d need the spacer to clear my 17’ wheels… I was correct spacer not needed

IMG_8173_zps9dmepyq7.jpg

The next step was to reattach the steering arms

IMG_8177_zpswtnn197w.jpg

IMG_8181_zpslincslv0.jpg

IMG_8178_zpssymoml0y.jpg

Job done… very very happy with how they look

IMG_8183_zpsi0lnrltr.jpg

IMG_8185_zpsd2fzjxsn.jpg

I won’t be in the Skunk Works tomorrow… I need to spend some time with Mrs XB & some friends.. but the jobs for next week will be to figure out how to replace the AC condenser at the front whilst removing the minimum amount of panels & parts to do so…. Once that’s done I can install the new front sway bar & then make up any new brake lines I need… then I’ll clean up the rear chassis & install the new fuel tank & run the new fuel lines.. so stay tuned, same bat time.. same bat channel

I have a new fuel tank to go in the car, an aeromotive setup with an in-tank pump… the kit is pretty good, comes with the correct OEM shaped tank as you would expect but with a recess cut out to take the new pump outlets

IMG_8186_zpso8j3yxim.jpg

IMG_8187_zpsojzinm4w.jpg

They supply the correct -8 (& -6 for the vent line) connectors

IMG_8188_zpsftl6pjzz.jpg

The fuel pressure regulator & inline filter

IMG_8189_zpsywpjtaww.jpg

They also supply the correct pressure gauge for the regulator & the 3 x -8 connectors that you need

IMG_8190_zpscqsvhjsy.jpg

The one way ball vent for the tank vent line

IMG_8191_zpsq0kbcsf1.jpg

& finally the wiring kit for the pump

IMG_8221_zpskdymbhak.jpg

I then went out panic bought a heap on AN fittings & some braided line so that I can make up the whole system once I’ve given the rest of a chassis a quick clean & paint

IMG_8216_zpsvzu3cpub.jpg

Just need to decide where to mount the regulator in the engine bay, you mostly see them mounted off on the inner wing

IMG_8195_zpsuzlhnwyo.jpg

Another option I have is to place it on the firewall, there is an old external regulator that was for the old 1969 alternator as they didn’t have internally regulated ones back then, if you’d read this thread from the start you’d know that I replaced the ALT not long after getting the car so this part can be removed & added to the pile of old unwanted parts I’m building

IMG_8192_zpsxna2yq5f.jpg

IMG_8193_zpsmbpgpbdw.jpg

I think I’d rather have it mounted here if I can

IMG_8194_zpsspdxx5t3.jpg

• Advertisement

Everyone on the interwebs who knew told me that you cannot remove the AC condenser without taking the front panels off… can’t be done don’t try, I really didn’t wan to do that… so I spent a long time looking at it whilst having a beer & figured I could do it by removing the drivers side bracket & then gently twisting that bracket out & then pulling the actual condenser out thru the engine bay

IMG_8198_zpscpewhdb7.jpg

IMG_8199_zpsmlqtydiw.jpg

IMG_8201_zpsh1yyxgho.jpg

IMG_8202_zpsqrqhjuso.jpg

IMG_8203_zpsyg3m6asj.jpg

Take that interwebs… got it out without damaging anything at all.. now that’s out I’ll clean up the space behind the nose

IMG_8204_zpstvkuluch.jpg

IMG_8205_zpsd41cqrxb.jpg

I have a brand new condenser to go in, it’s silver & whilst I know there is little to no real thermal benefit to black vs silver I think that the silver will stand out too much behind the grills so I’ll paint it flat black

IMG_8197_zpsv5vhrcfy.jpg

The new AC kit I bought came with everything except a drier I found out when I opened the new condenser box.. so I pulled the old one off

IMG_8209_zpsgwaprf09.jpg

IMG_8215_zpswgt3nsdl.jpg

Test fitted it

IMG_8210_zpsoanaz55a.jpg

Then thru it in the bin & have ordered a brand new one.. it should arrive next week.. then I took the brackets off the new condenser & painted the whole lot matt black

IMG_8213_zpsvzc3gy3k.jpg

IMG_8214_zps0zcebikl.jpg

IMG_8212_zpseh4cq1ij.jpg

This is now ready to go in & yes I have remembered that the drives side bracket has to be removed to get it in, but keeping it all together means I can’t lose any bits… I want to buy a external transmission cooler & install that in the nose in front of where the condenser goes, so that’ll go in first when I get it

IMG_8220_zpslc6dy72i.jpg

I am also replacing the battery tray as acid has leaked onto this over the years & it’s badly corroded.. I have a new one on a shelf somewhere here in the Skunk Works as I know I bought one not long after getting the car

IMG_8206_zps1amewe6a.jpg

I’ll also clean up the area under the battery tray before installing the new one

IMG_8208_zpskl8i4i7n.jpg

I’ve decided to fit a remote trans cooler to the front of the car since I have both the radiator & condenser out, I’ve decided to bypass the radiator & it’s only job being cooling the engine. I bought a PWR cooler that has AN fittings & not the usual barbed ones that use hose clamps to hold the hose on

IMG_8222_zps05rmgwow.jpg

IMG_8223_zpsudrcc3cd.jpg

I’ve bought straight & 90 deg -6 AN connectors as I’m not sure how the mounting will be up front yet

IMG_8224_zpsfirvzxod.jpg

IMG_8225_zpst3mitelp.jpg

I’ve also painted this stealth black too

IMG_8230_zpsor6pjf8r.jpg

I’ve also gotten the correct ¼” NPSM to -6 connectors for the Turbo 400 transmission, as I plan to run -6 braided lines instead of making up new hard lines

IMG_8228_zpsxavtebrp.jpg

IMG_8226_zps9u6joduo.jpg

This means that my stock pile of -6 & -8 AN fittings & braided hoses are building…

IMG_8231_zpsezcucw46.jpg

Spent a bit of time mounting up the trans cooler, I installed the new AC condenser so I could see exactly how much room I had to play with…

IMG_8232_zpsmkokddul.jpg

IMG_8233_zpslwoczxcg.jpg

One of the two horns will be an issue & will need to be moved

IMG_8234_zps0s04q2hp.jpg

For now I just moved it to the other side of the core support

IMG_8235_zpsbltues9d.jpg

Then I hung the cooler in with some cable ties so I can sit back & have a good look at where it would sit

IMG_8236_zpsqqsgyywy.jpg

IMG_8237_zpsuopjresi.jpg

Pulled the AC condenser back out again to give me room to work now that I know the cooler will fit nicely in front of it without fouling on anything other than the horn that I’ll move

IMG_8238_zps38uec6he.jpg

IMG_8239_zps9z3nuf2p.jpg

I can’t just leave the horn flipped onto the other side of the support like I have now as its in the airflow & I don’t want that

IMG_8240_zpsswkkd8ct.jpg

The bracket on the back of the horn is molded into the horn & can’t be removed without cracking the horn case, so I carefully spent some time heating the metal & gently folding it into the new shape I wanted

IMG_8241_zps5hq0weuw.jpg

IMG_8242_zpsrry6xnfl.jpg

IMG_8243_zpsjaki5eli.jpg

That works… the horn mounts to the original holes & is now out of the way of the cooler but still out of the airflow too… now to make up some brackets for the cooler

IMG_8244_zpsk0jwo8qe.jpg

The cross bar at the top is a square section so I can’t drill a whole & push a bolt thru, so I’ve welded a pair of screws on to mount the cooler hanging brackets

IMG_8247_zps9dv4yhqo.jpg

IMG_8245_zpsgscvns6i.jpg

Not happy with just the two vertical brackets even though they’d probably be fine, so I made a horizontal brace too

IMG_8246_zpsk0an5hra.jpg

Then I painted them both black

IMG_8248_zpsi4dtsuww.jpg

• Advertisement

With the paint dry & the cooler installed, I’m pretty happy with how it sits

IMG_8250_zps2s0jbvvq.jpg

IMG_8251_zpsrlsy6qjd.jpg

IMG_8249_zpsva3ax1q5.jpg

I can’t finish up the install of this cooler until the final AC part the drier turns up & then I can get the front 3 x rads in & move onto something else. I went to make up the brake lines but I had the wrong parts to fit the rear hard lines into the Wilwood calipers so I’ve had to order some new fittings that hopefully work… but I did get the fronts finished

IMG_8252_zpsuoidsxwe.jpg

I’m trying to spend an hour a night now out in the shed working on stuff, it doesn’t sound like a lot but it does help progress things along. The AC drier turned up, it was again bright chrome so I’ve painted it black to match the rest of the AC parts up front behind the grills..

IMG_8271_zpsmqtf6bli.jpg

IMG_8272_zpsqjrjeqci.jpg

I decided to clean up the gearbox crossmember, man was it caked in crap on top

IMG_8254_zps3ezb9gg5.jpg

IMG_8270_zpscys3p3j2.jpg

It took a while & it was a messy job, but as with these types of jobs it now looks great painted in the same black coating as the rest of the chassis

IMG_8273_zpsfqin8mij.jpg

IMG_8274_zpsmbimwbn2.jpg

IMG_8275_zpscpijonhs.jpg

IMG_8276_zpsatauttyk.jpg

Also painted up the fuel tank straps.. hopefully this weekend I’ll get the tank installed & the new fuel lines run

IMG_8285_zpslduiqbxw.jpg

Speaking of fuel lines, the new aeromotive in tank pump is set up to use -8 AN fittings as I’d said, so I was looking to see if I could easily remove the existing factory hardlines without cutting or bending them… simple answer is no, the body would have to be unbolted off the frame to be able to get them out in one piece undamaged

IMG_8268_zpsm59ov8qp.jpg

IMG_8266_zpsgc4n8exb.jpg

IMG_8267_zpsruexoxuj.jpg

IMG_8269_zpsmnzrlb3l.jpg

So I’m simply going to route the new -8 braided lines down the same route but on the passenger side of the chassis, I made up a length of clear hose I had with one of the -8 AN fittings (that I wrapped in tape to protect the finish) so that I could do a trail run to ensure that I could feed the hose where I wanted it to run & double check that it doesn’t rub on anything or get crimped at any point

IMG_8255_zps4rzqnbyi.jpg

IMG_8256_zpsthe0wy61.jpg

IMG_8258_zps0gha5psd.jpg

IMG_8259_zpseemrlb0e.jpg

Next was to work out where to mount the inline fuel filter, it needs to be easy to each to replace & also out of the way.. I looked for spots above the diff close to the tank but none of these really looked good to me

IMG_8264_zpsj3qbxrx7.jpg

IMG_8265_zpsnnmkthl8.jpg

In the end I think that midway along the chassis rail where there is a vertical brace is the best spot, it protects it, keeps it out of the way & is easy to get to when I need to replace it..

IMG_8261_zpsev6k2nif.jpg

IMG_8260_zpssu3jp3fc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

This is going to be a practically new car - like Triggers broom :D

This is going to be a practically new car - like Triggers broom :D

maybe.... for now I'm not pulling the body off the frame & doing a bare-metal restore of it.... so lets call it a mechanical freshen up for now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Daved_XB wrote: »
    maybe.... for now I'm not pulling the body off the frame & doing a bare-metal restore of it.... so lets call it a mechanical freshen up for now

Freshen up? Jesus that's some money on a freshen up!!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Freshen up? Jesus that's some money on a freshen up!!

Have you seen my other threads on here.. :D

Wanted to finish the install of the trans cooler, so I decided that rather than trying to measure the lengths I though I’d need I’d install the transmission back in & measure that way..

So I swapped out the existing hardline connectors with the correct NPT to AN adapters

IMG_8292_zpsrjogeam4.jpg

IMG_8293_zpsfy6pagt2.jpg

IMG_8294_zpsrjytfcqj.jpg

Then fitted the two 45 deg AN fittings

IMG_8295_zps7kyxmczj.jpg

Then I placed the trans back in the car connected to the crossmember so it is exactly where it will be when the engine goes back in

IMG_8296_zps6ymzfuy8.jpg

IMG_8297_zpsttxbr7lp.jpg

Then I fitted the cooler end fitting to the -6 hose & ran the hose exactly the way it will be routed when installed & that gave me an exact measurement of how long the hose needs to be. For the trans fluid they recommend that I used a Teflon lined hose, so unlike normal rubber lined braided hose that just uses press assembly, the Teflon core needs a soft metal olive or ferrule as some call them

IMG_8301_zpszokt3rsl.jpg

IMG_8298_zpsxh8vsrnz.jpg

IMG_8299_zpsm0cq50lk.jpg

IMG_8302_zpsru4ibk9j.jpg

IMG_8303_zpsfra8gmvy.jpg

IMG_8305_zps6cxmv13e.jpg

With that done I then I removed the cooler again to give me as much space as I could get to install the AC condenser

IMG_8304_zpsssrdtmw1.jpg

Installed the new drier before installing it into the car

IMG_8306_zpsjo0afl5p.jpg

What happened next was an hour of me inventing new swear words… no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the new condenser into the car, turns out that it’s 3mm too tall to fit in at the very front on the condenser so I ended up having to trim a 45deg angle off the top of the condenser frame to get it to fit

IMG_8307_zpsrqegwnm7.jpg

After that I won’t say that it went in easy but it went in…

IMG_8308_zpsnvhloq3g.jpg

IMG_8309_zpscxnlu4xa.jpg

Then installed the trans cooler for hopefully the last time

IMG_8311_zpseswkdap8.jpg

Then installed the grille

IMG_8313_zpsszlbifph.jpg

• Advertisement

Then decided that I didn’t like the fact that I hadn’t painted the mounting screws & felt they would look better black so removed the grille again, painted the screws black & reinstalled the grille again

IMG_8314_zpsoyyvcmow.jpg

I also swapped out the old sun beaten GTO badge with a shiny new one

IMG_8315_zps2euml5nz.jpg

IMG_8316_zpsngndtdi5.jpg

Bought a trans temp gauge & gauge holder to mount in the car & this one has a sensor that I’ll tap into the actual trans oil pan for the most accurate reading

IMG_8280_zpsygydtujg.jpg

IMG_8281_zpshjdnuzm3.jpg

Then it was time to install the new fuel tank, unlike the old one the filler neck is not part of the pressing here & needs to be added, also hooked up a vac line for the fill vent that will run across the top of the tank & connect to the original vent tube behind the license plate

IMG_8286_zpshv4c0ajl.jpg

IMG_8287_zpsntfnhxmn.jpg

This “simple” task also turned out to be a bit of a nightmare as this new tank is a little wider than the old one that was taken out

IMG_8317_zpssdazvpfe.jpg

IMG_8318_zpstqbvp6sc.jpg

Finally managed to get the thing in… I think that with 2 people this would have been a lot easier or if the diff was still out it would have been easy… but its in

IMG_8319_zpsd8gvcupu.jpg

IMG_8321_zpsgdrnsxrn.jpg

Obviously with the tank fully installed I can’t get to the AN fittings on the top of the pump

IMG_8323_zpsuwhv6url.jpg

Luckily the tank braces allow me to lower the front enough so that I can wire up the pump & connect the lines without the tank falling on my head

IMG_8324_zpsc4yuwx2b.jpg

IMG_8326_zpsmjeemros.jpg

IMG_8328_zpspirgdvun.jpg

Hope to get an hour or two one night this week in the shed & get all the lines made up & installed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wow its coming together so well, a great project to follow thanks..

Wow its coming together so well, a great project to follow thanks..

Thanks... it is a nice feeling to be knocking jobs off the todo list as fully finished.. just hope that my engine builder is still working thru this lock down or who knows when I'll have it back on the road

The next task was to make up some braided lines with the correct AN fittings to plumb in the fuel tank, now I have experience in making braided lines & my underlining memory from that experience is almost bleeding to death from the thousand tiny dagger stabbings I got working with the cut ends of the braid as I tried to push the AN fitting ends on..

Wanting to avoid that I bought these little tools awhile ago

IMG_8329_zpsskie18m8.jpg

IMG_8344_zps6slmolr9.jpg

These are some simple & work so well… you open them up & put the hose end of the AN fitting inside

IMG_8348_zpsikrxnfbj.jpg

Then put the tool in the vice to hold it & the tapered opening of the tool is just slightly smaller in diameter than the opening of the AN fitting

IMG_8346_zpss8ccjuj3.jpg

Meaning you just push whilst slowly twisting the hose & it just slides in with no catching or bending or bunching of the braided hose cover & most importantly (for me at least) no chance of stabbing myself just under the finger nail with a timy sharp steel dagger or 10!

IMG_8347_zpso4fkmnud.jpg

IMG_8349_zpszqzbnldh.jpg

Then just use your soft vice jaws to assemble the AN fitting

IMG_8351_zpsykckuyss.jpg

With the lines attached to the tank & run as neatly as I can get them the tank end of the install was done & I could bolt it in place

IMG_8334_zpsypraoqih.jpg

IMG_8336_zpsf5lur3gv.jpg

IMG_8335_zpscikpj1g3.jpg

I’m running the lines the same route as the factory hard lines really just on the other side of the frame

IMG_8338_zps71jbunou.jpg

The fuel filter I’m mounting in this little protected section

IMG_8337_zpsrk3dtyx1.jpg

IMG_8352_zpsosevjurn.jpg

Now that the tank & lines are in I can install the rear sway bar & officially say that the rear suspension install is done

IMG_8340_zpsem8vcj6d.jpg

IMG_8341_zpselphmpxn.jpg

The very last thing that I have to do at the rear is make up new rear hard brake lines to run from the distribution block on the top of the diff pumpkin to the calipers.. I have the correct fittings to make the caliper side of the lines, but I’m still waiting on the other fittings & a roll of the actual hardline to be delivered

IMG_8342_zps7iz0xqtz.jpg

IMG_8343_zpsqojyfrld.jpg

I also have a complete new wiring loom for the rear end & once I’m finished under the car I’ll rewire the rear of the car

Moving onto the front, I’ve installed the new battery tray

IMG_8358_zpsb1u1kgau.jpg

I’ve installed the new radiator for now… yes yes I know it needs to come out again to put the engine in, but I also need to do a shed tidy up this weekend & by installing it I achieve two things, it’s one less part box taking up space & it’s in the safest place.. unlikely to be damaged sitting in the car

IMG_8360_zpsx8xp64op.jpg

IMG_8361_zpsr8astpff.jpg

Next up, I’ll install the new front sway bar & mount up & plumb in the fuel pressure regulator & then I’m kinda out of parts until the engine arrives, I have some things to do inside the car too but I’m waiting on some parts to rock up.. getting close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

That must be a pleasure making up those braided lines now without ripping your fingers off

That must be a pleasure making up those braided lines now without ripping your fingers off

I can't express how much easier this previously dangerous task has become.. my new fave tool for the weekend for sure

Installing the sway bar was pretty simple, hung it in place & then simply installed the new torque plates as they seem to call them

IMG_8364_zpsluaqfzuu.jpg

IMG_8366_zpskmwhy5d5.jpg

Then the end links to the lower control arms… no rocket doctoring needed here

IMG_8367_zpsumdc912c.jpg

Right well that’s all of the suspension installed finished then…

IMG_8369_zpsni5lhssj.jpg

Decided on the install location for the new fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay on the firewall

IMG_8370_zpshx1tqw9c.jpg

IMG_8372_zpsfz2t6kwc.jpg

Then it was time to try & work out what way to route the fuel lines, as you’re looking at these pics the inlet on the left, the return is the bottom & the Carb feed is on the right. My preference is to have the inlet a 90 deg bend & the return the 45 deg, but I’m not sure if the lines will interfere with each other too much.. I have to use two 45 degs for both inlet & return

IMG_8374_zpso2wdoj43.jpg

IMG_8375_zpsccemlmht.jpg

I decided to make up the return line end & fit that as I know that that will be a 45 deg either way, rather than pull the hose all the way out I was able to slide the table I’d been using to make install the AN fittings after I measured the lines & cut them to length

IMG_8376_zpssacutz3t.jpg

• Advertisement

After trying both the 45 & the 90 on the inlet I was happy to see that I can use the 90 as I had hopped, I think that this is the neater of the two options that I could have gone with

IMG_8377_zpswcpctjjh.jpg

IMG_8378_zps3mrh9o0a.jpg

IMG_8379_zpsub68igpa.jpg

That’s the fuel system done now until the engine is in & I can make up & plumb the line from the regulator to the carb itself

IMG_8381_zpslzipzhos.jpg

I’m fast running out of jobs for this car now… tomorrows plan is to do my annual shed tidy up & then I’ll probably start back on the Challenger & the XB again

Advertisement