Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

• 28-11-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Could we make a list of companies that insure 15 year old cars? Luck so far is 0.
    Would love if people could post any successes so we can all just go straight to the companies that will actually quote and not waste our time ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Corvo

It won't be a very long list, I can guarantee you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭long_b

RSA for one

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Wow is that all? Just RSA?
    So what have the other thousands of drivers who have old cars done? Anyone want to share?

We've insured now with Axa. We already had our policy with them and just renewed. Not sure if they'd take on any new policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Sertus and ARB.
    Try going through a broker.I find it quicker,easier and always far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I change from 123.ie to Bank of Ireland car insurance last year on a 1998 Astra,
    as 123.ie went up by €175 as it was over 15yrs, bank of ireland match 123 previous year quote, up again in Feb see BOI quote then !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Sertus and ARB.
    Try going through a broker.I find it quicker,easier and always far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SureWhyNotNow

Blue insurance, Underwritten by Patrona took on our 1998 VW Sharan as a new policy. 810 for TPFT. Not bad considering everyone else wanted no less than 1200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Be great if there was some online resource that asked you a few questions and popped out the names of willing insurers.

If the could have all the logos lit up, then greying out as you went down the list it would be great.

Is your car over 8 years old, regardless of safety features?
    Is it over 2.0L petrol?
    Does it have a radio other than the original factory radio?
    Have you been forced to make a third party non fault claim through no fault of your own, all fault being due to the ignorant yoke that drove into you through sheer incompetence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Its4women, €650. Zurich wanted €844, up from €530 the previous year. 2001, 1.6L.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Its4women, €650. Zurich wanted €844, up from €530 the previous year. 2001, 1.6L.

Sometimes Its4women can give a bloke a bloody good quote :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

25 Plus if the same company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

It's late and I'm not sure if you're serious but to clarify for those who may not know, they insure men too....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

long_b wrote: »
    RSA for one

Not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

FBD will, and I go a great quote from BofI 's insurance arm. 2001 Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    FBD will,.

Were you renewing insurance? Because by their own ts&cs they shouldn't quote for new business. Don't tell me they are making it up as they go along!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

ARB definitely will quote

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rojerdandry

Does RSA mean 123.ie? Have had no luck with them, Bank of Ireland, FBD or Itsforwomen...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Does RSA mean 123.ie? Have had no luck with them, Bank of Ireland, FBD or Itsforwomen...

I was with 123.ie (RSA), but whet with Bank of Ireland got alot cheaper quote turned out its with RSA as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I was with 123.ie (RSA), but whet with Bank of Ireland got alot cheaper quote turned out its with was RSA as well.

Same here RSA through 123.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    FBD will, and I go a great quote from BofI 's insurance arm. 2001 Passat.

They won't. Liberty insurance do though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

RSA underwriters sell to the public via the trading name of 123.ie but brokers also sell policies for RSA. Banks and large brokers like AA can sell RSA policies sometimes cheaper than small companies & 123, as they get higher discount packages and will provide 20,000+ policies per year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

What are insurers' reasons for refusing to quote a car over 15years old? These cars are NCT tested every year which is a statement of road worthiness, so just wondering what their basis for refusal is? My own car is 00 and I'd awful trouble getting insured last year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    What are insurers' reasons for refusing to quote a car over 15years old? These cars are NCT tested every year which is a statement of road worthiness, so just wondering what their basis for refusal is? My own car is 00 and I'd awful trouble getting insured last year too.

They don't need a reason. As they don't disclose their figures. As such I would take an reason given with a pinch of salt. Insurance in this country has never been logical. Premiums and quotes vary enormously, which suggest its not based on any constant methodology.

I've not tried a new company but Allianz seem to ok with renewing an existing clean policy which is years old on a 17yr car. That said there was no difference on a 6yr old car and 17yr old for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They won't. Liberty insurance do though.

^^^this: FBD wouldn't quote my 2001 Audi either.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

beauf wrote: »
    They don't need a reason. .

I dont think its as simple as that. Remember that there is a legal requirement to have insurance. In a market where the participants have no choice but to be there, there has to be a higher standard of transparency and accountability. Its ripe for cartel-like behaviour.

The insurance companies havent been forward with explaining the loading for 15+ year old cars for a reason - they dont have anything concrete. Anecdotal evidence of fraud perhaps, but I doubt that would stand up to scrutiny.

Its one thing establishing a link between inexperienced drivers and powerful cars, its quite another to penalise honest drivers because fraudsters choose cheaper cars to minimise their outlay.

Its the fraud that needs to be dealt with, not the cars.

Its simply the lazy option to target the car.

I dont think its as simple as that.

Well it is. It's a Captive market with no oversight.

If they can give wildly different quotes when the customer haggles or price matches, then the prices aren't credible.

If someone has a long history of no claims, then it makes no sense they are a high risk if they change insurer. They are basically ignoring a clients history.

The only reason that explains this is and it's that it's not based on risk, but on price gouging.

I ...

Its the fraud that needs to be dealt with, not the cars.

Its simply the lazy option to target the car.

The problem is they are encouraging claims by settling to save money, and also the large claims being awarded. Many of the compensation claims awarded are absurd.

Saved money in the short term. But it has fanned the flames massively of fraud and compensation claims.

You reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

beauf wrote: »
    Well it is. It's a Captive market with no oversight.

If they can give wildly different quotes when the customer haggles or price matches, then the prices aren't credible.

If someone has a long history of no claims, then it makes no sense they are a high risk if they change insurer. They are basically ignoring a clients history.

The only reason that explains this is and it's that it's not based on risk, but on price gouging.

So what is to be done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

I eventually got cover for 690 TPFT with Bank of Ireland. Apart from 123.ie, everyone else was quoting 1,200 to 2,000 or not giving a quote in some cases. My car is a 2003 Saab 95 2.0 LPT. So not powerful or fast either! I'm a 34 year old teacher, 12 years totally clean driving.
    FBD, Axa wouldn't quote me which pissed me off.
    I did a quick quote with FBD online, where they just looked for basic personnal details and car engine size. That gave me hope when they quoted me under 600 euro, so I proceeded to do a detailed quote. When I put the exact car details in, they refused a quote.

I requested a written explanation for their refusal. I got a reply saying that I "didn't meet their underwriting criteria." No further explanation was given.

Chill rang me back to see if I wanted to proceed with any of the quotes they gave me. They were between 1300 and just over 2000! I was polite to the lady on the phone, but told her what I thought of insurance companies.

My previous insurance was with the AA. It jumped from 650 to 1180 this year. When I rang them to tell them I wasn't renewing, they didn't even ask why or try to give me a better quote. This says a lot. They don't want my business.

Advertisement