Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

• 04-10-2006 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

heya, just wondering if anyone has been to one of those Christmas markets in Germany or anywhere in Europe really. Any recomendations? Was thinking about going for a long weekend in December. Thx
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've not been to one in Germany, but I've heard the one in Berlin is good.

I've been to Brussels and Bruges and both are pretty good. I didn't buy much, but the atmosphere is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

Also been to Brussels and Bruges markets and it was very nice more of a christmas feel then here. Found this site may help http://www.flyingvisits.ie/European%20Christmas%20Markets/christmas_markets_2006.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sheera

Hey, I was in Berlin just before Christmas last year and there's Christmas markets all over the city - most of them sell similar stuff. There's a great atmosphere in them at night - people meet up there to eat & drink. Berlin is a great city anyway so would highly recommend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

Hi,

I'm heading to cologne for four days in december for the markets. I've looked them up and talked to one or two people who've been and it seems like the place to be! Apparantly cologne is one of the best shopping spots too!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

i went to cologne last xmas, it was lovely, very good atmosphere.
    Fly with german wings dublin to cologne, very cheap.
    A good hotel is the ambassador its right beside the metro and very reasonable, good breakfast too.

The markets have lots of childrens toys, food, and lots of mulled wine (the only thing for keeping out the cold!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Have been to Dusseldorf and last year to Frankfurt. There's a lot of eating going on! Be careful of your money though, I had my wallet stolen last year. Markets are very crowded. Going to Stockholm this year for the Swedish experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The one in Montreux (spelling) in Switerland is fantastic..
    beautiful view of the alps too...

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Strasbourg on the French / German border is great and a cool city too, also Nuremburg is very good but not that easy to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Heading to Baden Baden at start of December.Got cheap flight with Ryanair and hotel is not so expensive either.Looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Went to Farnkfurt last year with "she who must be obeyed". Great atmosphere, loads of sausages and pizza and mulled wine (great variety of flavours and much needed to keepout the freezing cold)

Only mistake was thinking flying with Ryanir to Frankfurt Hann was going to get us anywhere near the real Frankfurt.

Great experience, very different, enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

Check out Heidleberg - beaitiful old city, train from Frankfurt in less than an hour - very cool place - some amazing pubs as well

Think also you could fly into Baden Baden but Frankfurt for definite - aer lingus into Frankfurt direct and ryanair to Frankfurt Han

http://www-aix.gsi.de/~shiptrap/Trains.htm

http://www.e-heidelberg.com/attractions/attractions.html
    The Christmas market

The Christmas market is something of a tradition in Germany. Most towns will have one. Heidelberg's is by no means the biggest or the most famous (that would be the Christmas market in Nürnberg), but is worth visiting none the less.

What is the Heidelberg Christmas Market? The Heidelberg Christmas market runs from around the 24th November until the 22nd December, daily from 11am until 9pm (check the events section). Christmas gifts, unusual herbs, special tees, hot German food specialities, Glühwein (this is a warm wine - perfect for those cold winter afternoons - certainly beats stamping your feet on the ground to keep warm!), amusements rides for little children and so on can all be had at the Christmas market. The Christmas atmosphere is something quite special.

The Christmas market takes place in three of the town squares in the old town:

Kornmarkt
    Marktplatz
    Universitätsplatz
    These squares are all located towards the Castle end of the old town.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jmccann

Myself and my wife are flying in to Frankfurt Hahn next week just for 2 days and would appreciate any ideas on where good Christmas markets could be found in this region?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

jmccann wrote: »
    Myself and my wife are flying in to Frankfurt Hahn next week just for 2 days and would appreciate any ideas on where good Christmas markets could be found in this region?

Cologne is about a hours drive and it is supposed to be one of the best Christmas markets in Germany.

You may also want to see if there is one in Luxembourg which is not that far away either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Theres knacker all in Hahn, its a good bit away from Frankfurt.

And Cologne is more like a 2 hour drive from Hahn with no traffic excluding find where your staying in the city and parking up.

Cologne does have does have a Christmas market though and as much Kolsch beer as you can handle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ryanair have a bus that will take you into Frankfurt, takes over an hour. Frankfurt has some of the best xmas markets in Germany, especially the one at Römer (near Haupwache, just off the Zeil).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

+1 for the Christmas markets in Cologne. Haven't been to Frankfurt so I can't really comment. It's about 2/2.5 hours to Cologne from Hahn and there's a fairly regular bus service that leaves you at the central station in Cologne.

Check this thread here for more info on what to do there: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055187797

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Trier is very close fo Frankfurt Hahn and has a good Christmas market. It's also a fantastic city - the oldest in Germany. As it was once the second city in the Roman Empire there are Roman ruins all about. Also, Luxembourg would be nice for a day, not sure what the Christmas markets are like there though.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Rhein towns have some good markets - there is a link on the Hahn website.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

anybody have any suggestions or recommendations? heard nuremberg is nice. thanks in advance.
    p.s. a ryanair destination would be a plus.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

jester77 gave me wonderful info last year :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055185222

We're off to Berlin this year...

• Advertisement

I was in Bremen last year. I was fantastic and really nice atmosphere there. Ryanair fly there and you can get a tram from outside the airport terminal straight into the city centre. It only takes about 15 mins!

thanks for the info so far. ive googled bremen and it looks really nice. is it a good place for shopping? any other suggestions welcome

thanks for the info so far. ive googled bremen and it looks really nice. is it a good place for shopping? any other suggestions welcome

Yes very good for shopping and the shops stay open very late at weekends. It's alot cheaper than Ireland and the christmas atmosphere is fabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Nurnburg is nice - and it's easy to get to from Munich airport. The town is small and pretty and there is a really decent Ibis just inside the town walls opposite the HBF. And well... there are nurnbergers... HAHM!

IMO Dusseldorf is the best market. The airport is close to the city, and the Aer Lingus flights are at perfect times to make the best out of the weekend.
    The market there is REALLY big, and it snakes around a lot of the streets. There are actually decent things to buy (which I didn't see in Munich or Nurnburg) You could also get a flight to Koln with German wings if you wanted a cheaper option - it's about a 40 min train ride away.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

My OH and I are flying to Baden-Baden with Ryanair and taking in 3 christmas markets.
    First Baden-Baden then on to Karlsruhe (20 minutes train €9.50) then on to Heidelberg (45 minutes train €9.90) then back to Baden-Baden. 3 nights 3 different markets, we can't wait :)
    More info on all of the German christmas markets can be found here:

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

my friends went to frankfurt last year and loved it, i'm going back with them this year....

decisions decisions!! rite im going to google baden baden and dusseldorf. i was looking at frankfurt last nite and it looked great. i can get really good deals for there also. 4-5star hotel and flights in the region of €250 each for 3 nights.
    just back to the shopping issue and to keep the other half happy- she would be more interested in the high street type shopping rather than traditional shopping for christmas items and decorations. which areas would suit her best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Dusseldorf has fabulous shopping - from the Schadow Arkaden to the Ko - all the big names within walking distance to each other.

drunk_monk wrote: »
    My OH and I are flying to Baden-Baden with Ryanair and taking in 3 christmas markets.
    First Baden-Baden then on to Karlsruhe (20 minutes train €9.50) then on to Heidelberg (45 minutes train €9.90) then back to Baden-Baden. 3 nights 3 different markets, we can't wait :)
    More info on all of the German christmas markets can be found here:

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

I was at Baden Baden Markets 3 years ago. To be honest it is a very small market and the city is very expensive for accomodation and eating out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

One of the more famous Christmas Markets in Germany is the Strietzelmarkt in Dresden, my all time favourite ist the Christmas Market in Bautzen (a small town near Dresden) it's only a small market, but that's what makes it so good, it's not as full as the larger markets adn has a real christmas air about it.

In Berlin I always go the the "Weihnachtsmarkt am Opernpalais", the Christmas Market in Berlin-Spandau is also very nice.

Take a look here I'm sure you'll find something:
    http://www.weihnachtsmarkt-international.de/

Advertisement