Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    Wee Davey Quinn has already pretty much said that if you ignore everything except Chapter 8 in today's Magdalene Laundries report, it's not too bad. What a wonderful human being.

Definitely need a source for that. :p
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

He blocked me for mentioning his anti-vaccination buddies a while ago, but I can still read his claptrap :pac: : https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/298827526124486656

He did skip straight ahead to ch. 8 claiming it's the most important part. Now while statistics are useful, I'm not sure why he'd advocate ignoring things like testimony of survivors, reports of working conditions, abuse, punishments, or how the report honestly couldn't decide whether the Legion of Mary was a state organisation or not. Those little details are fairly important too, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Based on those twitter comments earlier, he regards the stuff on page 167 "Route of Entry (to the Laundries) by decade" as highly important.

I'd suggest that it's among the less important sections unless the aim is to point fault at the women themselves, family and state for their placement there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

David Quinn trying to defend the indefensible...well you could never accuse him of being unpredictable could you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Just had a look through his tweets. Revolting stuff. Seems to take great offense to being called a bigot/homophobic for his views, but at the same time thinks denying gay people equal rights is whats best for society

Such a double standard. Basically devotes his life to denying gay people equality yet he's the victim when people call him out on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I often wonder what people like him do if their children are gay or otherwise don't conform to his ideal wold view.

• Moderators Posts: 51,683 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Just had a look through his tweets. Revolting stuff. Seems to take great offense to being called a bigot/homophobic for his views, but at the same time thinks denying gay people equal rights is whats best for society

Such a double standard. Basically devotes his life to denying gay people equality yet he's the victim when people call him out on this.

Yet he isn't afraid to suggest his opponents ("the Leftists") are engaged in bigotry when the mood takes

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, I wonder how the Friday sermon will proceed? I suppose it would attempt to minimise the sympathy for the prisoners of the Magdalene gulags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I wonder if they share any directors with the Life Institute, the Pro-Life Campaign or Jugendschutz.

Sounds like something to keep me occupied on my lunch break tomorrow!

His defence is now - well the Catholic Church didn't invent magdalene laundries so the Catholic Church isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.

and that we don't know how many single mothers were sent to the laundries so people suggesting that it was catholic ideology that led to women and girls being sent to the laundries ate anti catholic bigots.

Fully of whataboutery! Criticise the catholic church over the abuse and magdalene laundries? Oh, well what about all the children that died in state care?

Insane stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,851 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well to be fair, the Catholic Church didn't invent child rape.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Stark wrote: »
    Well to be fair, the Catholic Church didn't invent child rape.

Nor did they write that book that blames women for the existence of sin...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Banbh

Or cover-up the crimes of paedophiles or force child-victims to sign vows of silence or move known paedophiles to safe houses and allow them to continue their crimes...

Banbh wrote: »
    Or cover-up the crimes of paedophiles or force child-victims to sign vows of silence or move known paedophiles to safe houses and allow them to continue their crimes...

and they absolutely did not use slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Banbh

When I was in the convent school (5-8 years old approx), there was a woman who went around tending the fires in the classrooms (this is more than 50 years ago and yes I am that old). She also cleaned the toilets, mopped up vomit and all the tasks of minding kids that were beneath the dignity of the nuns.

She was stooped and dirty and very small. She would shuffle in and put coal on the fire and remove the ashes. Once she dropped the bucket and the nun raised her cane to strike her. She didn't strike, maybe because we kids were looking, but the woman whimpered and backed out in terror like a dog. Her name was Peggy and we were told never to speak to her. She lived in a sort-of shed attached to the school. She was the only slave I ever knew.

Banbh wrote: »
    When I was in the convent school (5-8 years old approx), there was a woman who went around tending the fires in the classrooms (this is more than 50 years ago and yes I am that old). She also cleaned the toilets, mopped up vomit and all the tasks of minding kids that were beneath the dignity of the nuns.

She was stooped and dirty and very small. She would shuffle in and put coal on the fire and remove the ashes. Once she dropped the bucket and the nun raised her cane to strike her. She didn't strike, maybe because we kids were looking, but the woman whimpered and backed out in terror like a dog. Her name was Peggy and we were told never to speak to her. She lived in a sort-of shed attached to the school. She was the only slave I ever knew.

yet she lived in a country whose Constitution states
    " 1° The State guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate the personal rights of the citizen.

Not worth the paper it's written on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Campaign to ensure gay people are denied equal rights = "practicing religion".

Criticise this campaign = You're a bigot, how dare you oppress me!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It really annoys me that when the likes of RTE or Newstalk are looking for someone to give a Christian slant on something they go to this shower.

They aren't a Christian organisation as far as I'm concerned, they are a group of right-wing culture warriors with a persecution complex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Definitely. They, and others cut from the same cloth, are the broadcast media's default go to guys for the 'well, what do Catholics think about this, then?'

We don't really hear the voice of ordinary Christians because of this, or at least not as often. I think we could all have a more interesting and perhaps civilised conversation if it wasn't for apologists who do little more than run interference.

Btw, this is not to say I think much of when the same media put on Bacik as a singular spokesperson for women or whatever it is on the other side of the argument.

Less think thanks, more ordinary folk, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    It really annoys me that when the likes of RTE or Newstalk are looking for someone to give a Christian slant on something they go to this shower.

They aren't a Christian organisation as far as I'm concerned, they are a group of right-wing culture warriors with a persecution complex.

The reason RTE go to them is so they won't get negative publicity. Groups like these tend to be vocal and fight dirty (suing a university student paper ffs!). They also conveniently always have a spokesperson available.

Its the same with Ronan Mullen being trotted out for the abortion comments. A man who, if he's following Catholic doctrine, isn't within an asses roar of ever needing to make a decision on abortion, yet because he sounds reasonable enough, even when saying the most outrageous things, and interviews well.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Benny_Cake wrote: »

So, who do you want chosen as the token Christian..?

You'll do Silvio. I'd love to see you express your grammar and smilies in a verbal context.

lazygal wrote: »
    You'll do Silvio. I'd love to see you express your grammar and smilies in a verbal context.

:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

lazygal wrote: »

Aww shucks...:o

Tokenism is the problem surely?RTE get to tick a box saying that Christians were represented in that debate, thanks to David Quinn. Plenty of thoughtful people in the various denominations could discuss the issues without the hatchet job on statistics that Iona usually provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So make it known that despicable arseholes like Quinn and Mullen don't represent you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Silvio, I think I speak for many here when I say that I eagerly await your appearance on Prime Time. Make it so...

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    So make it known that despicable arseholes like Quinn and Mullen don't represent you.

Actually, I think that Ronan Mullen is sincere. That doesn't make him right mind you, I particularly disagree with his stance on gay marriage, but I think his public position represents his sincerely held beliefs. In David Quinn's case, I'm not altogether sure that he didn't see a gap in the market for an American style, Christian-right pundit and simply moved into that space. There's something a bit trollish about his style of writing.

If it's felt by you and others that Christians need to distance themselves from him and the Iona Institute, they'd probably take that as a compliment. It hardly needs to be pointed out that Christians hold a diverse range of opinions on issues.

Advertisement