Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

You think today is windy? Get a load of this....

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.gif

OK deep FI and unlikely to materialise - we hope. We're in a very mobile zonal pattern at present. The 'conveyor belt' of deep depressions looks like continuing maybe up to Christmas or near enough to it...

Lordy !

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Short video I took around 9.30am East Donegal, love sitting in with the fire lit listening to this outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Jasus i real feel for Scotland if we are getting them winds,

The System has went decent bit noth of expected yet look at the figures across Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

malin will defo win today 78knots quite impressive. mite get 80!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Ship report from 57N 11W gives 66 kts sustained wind from 280 deg (at 09z). This one has been reporting hourly and has been moving east-south-east for three hours, wind has increased every hour. Meanwhile the low centre has passed southeast of Rockall or at least the K5 buoy estimated 958 mbs near 57.5N 10.5W from satellite imagery.

Except for north Donegal and parts of north coast, peak winds have probably come and gone in west now. Looks bad for that ship, hope they make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Calmer here now than 0700-0900. Actually just like a normal day. Nothing extreme at all this last half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Athlone is getting a beating altogether. Bitch in the Docks in completely flooded.

- Chat about Irish weather on IRC:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056454368

One or two real big gusts there as the squally front moved through

Heard a poor plane moaning for a moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i see where Met Eireann have updated their forecast this morning(below) but no mention of the snowfall MT is expecting apart from wintry showers on high ground! It will be interesting to see who gets it right..

Today

Stormy today, especially through Connaught and Ulster with gale force winds and damaging gusts of 100 to 140km/hr. Heavy rain at first will give way to colder brighter conditions with occasional showers in most places by early afternoon. Temperatures of 10 or 11 degrees this morning will fall to 5 or 6 this afternoon.

Tonight

Becoming dry in many areas tonight with clear spells and the strong and squally westerly winds will moderate, There will be some showers of rain and hail in western and northern parts and some will be wintry on higher ground. Cold with lowest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees with frost developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Here's a weather station at the Port of Ness on the Isle of Lewis off the northern coast of Scotland

if it doesn't work straight away click on Eoropie Live

http://www.eoropaidh.co.uk/gm7pbb/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

Wind is so strong here (Dublin 8) the car outside my window actually bounced up and down for a bit. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Darwin

Absolutely wild outside for the last 10 minutes or so, looks like the last of the really squally showers moving through.

Nothing stops this US Airforce Gulfstream jet. 41000ft over the storm.

abb69ad7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

10 am report: Highest Gust 69kts Malin Head

" Heavy Hail " Reported at KNock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Heavy Hail been reported at Knock Airport with a Gust of 46Kts and a tempature of just 5 Degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

As expected, it has tracked further north, they always seem to do this.

Gust of almost 90mph for Malin even though its gone further north gives you an idea of what Scotland can expect later!

Gust at Malin dropped in the last hour so strongest winds for us have probably passed now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

69kts at Malin on the latest obs, 57kts Mace, 45kts Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Latest from UKMO K4 buoy off the Donegal coast seems to indicate the worst has passed it

plot_wind_pres.php?station=62105&uom=E&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

possibly on the way during next week?

There is another thread for this, and yes it looks breezy, but multiple solutions posed for the coming week never mind a chart at 174hrs which doesnt even look that bad!

Temp drop of 2.6c from 0900 to 1000. Now at 7.1c
    DP down from 9.6 to 6.8 in the same period.
    Squally showers now the main feature here.

• Advertisement

As expected, it has tracked further north, they always seem to do this.

Gust of almost 90mph for Malin even though its gone further north gives you an idea of what Scotland can expect later!

Gust at Malin dropped in the last hour so strongest winds for us have probably passed now.

Ummmmm, don't think they have for Malin and the Northeast coast.

Although that was such an anomalous gust that it would be hard to beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That ship report I mentioned has updated at 10z in same position but now with 78 knot sustained winds. Not an encouraging report if you live in western Scotland (or if you're on that ship).

The 06z GFS has somewhat upgraded the cold advection rate for this afternoon and evening, would expected some powerful streamers to develop from a NW direction hitting most of Ulster in about 3-4 hours. Not sure I agree on the track, looked about what was expected, the rate of deepening was extreme and this produced the peak in wind gusts across the north earlier.

I may have to abandon ship here fairly soon too, watch satellite for streamer formation would be my last words to the crew. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

irish1967 wrote: »
    Nothing stops this US Airforce Gulfstream jet. 41000ft over the storm.

abb69ad7.jpg

Riding the storm LIKE A BOOOOOSSSS! haha :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Is that the eye of the storm centre due north of mayo and due west of isle of lewis?

WEB_sat_ir_irl.jpg

Already a gust of 107 mph at Aonach Mor (1130m) Scotland.

Any reports of power outages? Thought there might have been some for Donegal.

Northern Ireland still has to face stronger winds but the northwest has probably seen the worst of this pass now, just to clarify my post above. :P

Live streaming video of a guy on the road going to document this in Scotland. :D
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weatherevents;sess=

He says he is in Fife at the moment and won't be able to make it to the southwest because of bridge closures, not sure exactly where he is headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

maquiladora, Im hearing about disruption to electricity in the North but I'm not sure what part! Maybe someone else can elaborate :)

For those about Derry, the Foyle Bridge is closed and the public are being advised not to walk on the Peace Bridge. There is trees down in Derry, Limavady and Dungiven which is causing disruption, according to BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    Temp drop of 2.6c from 0900 to 1000. Now at 7.1c
    DP down from 9.6 to 6.8 in the same period.
    Squally showers now the main feature here.

thats identical data to my weather station creepy ;)

• Advertisement

I know. It's your data I'm quoting ! Lol. Your my nearest weather station ! ;)

Advertisement