Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pattern change could herald a return to very cold weather

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The rest of the month looks like a bit of a snooze-fest now with steele grey skies and SC sheets giving days of nothingness in the way of discernible "weather":( - Will seem even more "dull" given the December we just had:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't recall who said it but there is some theory about a cold start to winter tending to be followed by an average even short winter overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Anyone got anything positive to add about a cold reload happening, last few posts have been depressing to read! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

jessie37 wrote: »
    Anyone got anything positive to add about a cold reload happening, last few posts have been depressing to read! :(

At least you don't have the Flu coming on:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

jessie37 wrote: »
    No, just looking at various models and it's dull dull for the next 4 or 5 days, after that who knows it's too far out. I'm not an expert of the models just read MT'S daily forecasts at the top of the forum and you won't go wrong as to how the next week or so will go.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    At least you don't have the Flu coming on:(

Thats true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    At this stage it looks like we're back to normal winter for the rest of the period, unfortunately. It's not like in December where any breeze off the sea or any showers that came gave snow - it seems more like normal where we're constantly looking for any little change that might "possibly" give us something.

We are also looking for big changes, if a big change came it would mean another big freeze then any breeze off the sea or any showers that comes would give snow ;)

Is there still a lot of uncertainty regarding the models? Is the next few weeks and February looking rather cold?

200motels wrote: »
    No, just looking at various models and it's dull dull for the next 4 or 5 days, after that who knows it's too far out. I'm not an expert of the models just read MT'S daily forecasts at the top of the forum and you won't go wrong as to how the next week or so will go.

Thanks, I have been following MT was just hoping someone might spot something since that might liven up this thread... ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The UKMO forecast upto February 15th is fairly good, no return to the cold weather that we saw last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not even a hint of anything on the gfs right out to 384h, this high seems set to stick around for the rest of the month

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Hmmmm. If it gets any more boring, there's a danger that we might end up with Ireland's weather being described at Climate :D

Always used to be the case that what happens here got described as weather, as in "shore, Ireland doesn't have a climate, it has weather". Beginning to look like that might be about to change for a while at least:D:D

The only good thing about it is that I might get chance to get up on the roof to take the weather station down to sort out the rainfall recorder that's been stuck since before Christmas, but it's been too (wet, cold, windy, snowy, icy, add to suit) to think about climbing on ladders to get at the thing, especially with a mean dose of the flu as well.

Means I can also have a go at the anemometer and wind direction unit to sort out the tail mods that were done before it went up, and maybe even make it higher to get it out of the roof effect that's very noticable on occasions.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Love the cold snowy weather but this high pressure is looking ace.
    After the last week this is going to be glorious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Its all well and good for people who work indoors to be looking for snow and freezing conditions, but after the run up to christmas i hope it doesnt come around until next winter.

Getting work is tuff as it is and another cold spell will boll0x me right up!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mike65 wrote: »
    Can't recall who said it but there is some theory about a cold start to winter tending to be followed by an average even short winter overall.

It was Philip Eden who said it. According to him the stats' show that winters which start off cold remaining so for the duration of the season are the exception rather the norm.

Perhaps next year will prove to be the exception;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

mike65 wrote: »

From the New Scientist.

What goes on in November is meant to tell you much about the dark months. If you get snow in November the winter will be mild for "the winter has cast its calf"

Another old saying according to an elderly relative 87 yrs old.

"November ice that will bear a duck, Winter will be full of rain and muck"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It was Philip Eden who said it. According to him the stats' show that winters which start off cold remaining so for the duration of the season are the exception rather the norm.

Perhaps next year will prove to be the exception;)

This winter starting off cold was an exception in itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd just as soon take an old saying on trust as any new fangled modeling marlarky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

..Winter will be full of rain and muck

Maybe in some a parts of Kerry but not so far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Glimmer of hope in the latest runs ?

Left my machine in work and can't post the charts !

Darkman what's your view on the situation as she stands ?

There has been a complete lack of charts and chart discussion lately , what's going down .

Su sort it out , give us something even if it's a "no there's not a hope lads" ! Some fancy chats and Synoptics are sorely needed in here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Gfs has the high further west which opens the door for cold in England but still nothing much for us

gfs-1-132.png?18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Glimmer of hope in the latest runs ?

Left my machine in work and can't post the charts !

Darkman what's your view on the situation as she stands ?

There has been a complete lack of charts and chart discussion lately , what's going down .

Su sort it out , give us something even if it's a "no there's not a hope lads" ! Some fancy chats and Synoptics are sorely needed in here !

I couldn't agree more...in these dark times we need hope and if there ever was a time for ramping it's now:D....

Yeah give us hope, any chance we will get back to double digit positive temperatures anytime soon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Harps wrote: »
    Gfs has the high further west which opens the door for cold in England but still nothing much for us

gfs-1-132.png?18

Was just over on the Chelsea boards forum for my troubles and there was doom and gloom talk over there ! Sorted that out and said I would mosey back over here to the weather forum and the person with the last post was min and I let a little sigh :p thinking must be bad news so !

But harps that chart is a trend and the trend is our friend , hopefully it keeps moving away to allow us back in the cold, as the charts can't get the position on this high nailed down all is not lost!

I await black briar to come in and say it's a brutal chart !:p

Was just over on the Chelsea boards forum for my troubles and there was doom and gloom talk over there ! Sorted that out and said I would mosey back over here to the weather forum and the person with the last post was min and I let a little sigh :p thinking must be bad news so !

But harps that chart is a trend and the trend is our friend , hopefully it keeps moving away to allow us back in the cold, as the charts can't get the position on this high nailed down all is not lost!

:pac:

Hey, you know me, I'm just a warm person who supports United :p

Min wrote: »
    :pac:

Hey, you know me, I'm just a warm person who supports United :p

It just keeps getting worse for you ! Bring on the cold I say !

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

finally some glimmer of hope!! i was getting really tired nothing happening! :mad:
    high needs to keep moving west in order to allow cold air into ireland ya??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The problem is lads the jet is up north so it wont allow the high ridge towards greenland, and thats what we really need to get a decent cold blast. I would take that chart with a pich of salt, and most of the cold uppers are really for England:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The problem is lads the jet is up north so it wont allow the high ridge towards greenland, and thats what we really need to get a decent cold blast. I would take that chart with a pich of salt, and most of the cold uppers are really for England:(

Yeah. I feel like taking a break from model watching. I've run out of straws to clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rain last night, sheet ice all over the roads this morning, can we have our mild weather back, please ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Tornando9 wrote: »
    From the New Scientist.

What goes on in November is meant to tell you much about the dark months. If you get snow in November the winter will be mild for "the winter has cast its calf"

Another old saying according to an elderly relative 87 yrs old.

"November ice that will bear a duck, Winter will be full of rain and muck"

Another one I heard is

November ice will bear a duck Winter will be full of rain and cold as....

Advertisement