Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

owenc wrote: »
    for frig sake didnt anyone see that image it said 2c maxes and -9c mins how is there going to be rain in that!!!!! and most of the time going by that it will probably be below 0c as we are usually alot colder than those temps (if it stays like that!).... why do people always make the south sound like the whole country is getting the same weather as them !

The forecast is exactly as it is in the opening post. Cold at night, yes. But not -9C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

for frig sake didnt anyone see that image it said 2c maxes and -9c mins how is there going to be rain in that!!!!! and most of the time going by that it will probably be below 0c as we are usually alot colder than those temps (if it stays like that!).... why do people always make the south sound like the whole country is getting the same weather as them !

They don't. They always make the east sound like the whole country ;). I would be wary of using the temp forecasts on the site you posted Owenc. Based on the GFS and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yr.no have been showing snow showers for me as well over the last 5 or 6 days, and always 5 or 6 days away. Probably will happen sometime if a trend is being established, but whether it snows or not, there is nothing in the output today to suggest anything memerable or unusual is on the way.

Of course, little features in the flow may surprise us, but going by the last 3 weeks of promised interest, I'd not hold my breath.

someone from yr.no must have seen my comments about tuam not getting snow:pac:

it has been showing only rain for me, until todays ouput.
    the only way we might get something significant is at the very end of this pattern of weather - if we have the cold air in place.
    the heavy snow and blizzard conditions on january 13th was a great example of this, although really cold air had been over us for a very long time. i guess nine times out of 10 that situation would have given rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

They don't. They always make the east sound like the whole country ;). I would be wary of using the temp forecasts on the site you posted Owenc. Based on the GFS and all that....

yes but at least its something to prove to them.. because they seem to think thats it going to be 9c and raining the whole time.. and i do think its possible to get about -11c here as we got -7c last week when -4c was forecasted and that is proof that we get far colder than those forecasts.

yes but at least its something to prove to them.. because they seem to think thats it going to be 9c and raining the whole time.. and i do think its possible to get about -11c here as we got -7c last week when -4c was forecasted and that is proof that we get far colder than those forecasts.

yr.no have cold rain down for Coleraine: :p

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Northern_Ireland/Coleraine~2652586/detailed_long.html

A more trustworthy forecast source Owenc for your area.

• Advertisement

yr.no have cold rain down for Coleraine: :p

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Northern_Ireland/Coleraine~2652586/detailed_long.html

That old site is always wrong! always!

Well excuse me! :D

Owenc, no model forecast will ever be 100% right, but in terms of reliabilty, I would go with that one. Knowledge of local climate of course is essential when using any model output, as computer generated outputs only give a rough guidence to the weather forecast in ones particular area or on a more national/international basis. I would be very surpirsed if you got down to -9c this week. That is more likely to happen here in Galway than up there, and I doubt it will even come close to that here. :)

Well excuse me! :D

Owenc, no model forecast will ever be 100% right, but in terms of reliabilty, I would go with that one. Knowledge of local climate of course is essential when using any model output, as computer generated outputs only give a rough guidence to the weather forecast in ones particular area or on a more national/international basis. I would be very surpirsed if you got down to -9c this week. That is more likely to happen here in Galway than up there, and I doubt it will even come close to that here. :)

erm well we got -7c the other night.. stop downgrading things because your area dosnt get those temperatures i hate the way people on here wont beleive how much snow we got and how cold it got i just wish someone from nearby was on this forum!

erm well we got -7c the other night.. stop downgrading things because your area dosnt get those temperatures i hate the way people on here wont beleive how much snow we got and how cold it got i just wish someone from nearby was on this forum!

Yes Owenc, we do get those sort of temperatures and lower, and I am certain more frequently than you do. I am not downgrading at all, just trying to be realistic. I am not doubting at all the amount of snow you got, in fact, I would be surprised if you didn't recieve what you say you recieved.

Also, people on here would have a lot more time for you if you tried having a bit of manners and politness. It costs nothing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What was the coldest temperture in this cold spell so far?
    I had -7 a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just had a quick look at the charts for the coming week. Some very cool and showery weather coming up. A lot of 'potential' wintry events rolled up into one week. Will be very interesting observing the weather this week. That low pivoting around the south cost could throw up lots of possibilities.

IMBY, I'd say we could have some decent snowfall here but could be of the really wet heavy slushy variety like we had a few weeks ago. The GFS 12z will be interesting.

Yes Owenc, we do get those sort of temperatures and lower, and I am certain more frequently than you do. I am not downgrading at all, just trying to be realistic. I am not doubting at all the amount of snow you got, in fact, I would be surprised if you didn't recieve what you say you recieved.

Also, people on here would have a lot more time for you if you tried having a bit of manners and politness. It costs nothing. :)

No people from other areas were telling me during the cold spell that i couldnt have got 2 foot on the hill behind me which is 385m at highest and i couldnt have got down to -13c one night..

No people from other areas were telling me during the cold spell that i couldnt have got 2 foot on the hill behind me which is 385m at highest and i couldnt have got down to -13c one night..

2 foot of snow on a hill is nothing surprising or unusual. I don't doubt that you got down to -13c. Many parts of Ireland (yep, even in the "south") seen temps that low, and lower, during the last cold blip. You don't stand alone! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

2 foot of snow on a hill is nothing surprising or unusual. I don't doubt that you got down to -13c. Many parts of Ireland (yep, even in the "south") seen temps that low, and lower, during the last cold blip. You don't stand alone! :eek:

Oh don't be giving your senses to him , DE

OwenC, no hurt intended but I scan the posters to the left of the page and skip your posts at all times. They are a lot of the times off-topic, irritating and revolve around the whole notion that weather is only interesting if the temperature is below 0oC. Also your tantrums when snow does not head your way are to be it mildly, annyoing :cool:

Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I don't think Ireland can handle another blizzard!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

karlog wrote: »

:D:D oooh i could,

hope this one comes to life, bring it on, the last of the winter blast, (maybe) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

derekon wrote: »
    OwenC, no hurt intended but I scan the posters to the left of the page and skip your posts at all times. They are a lot of the times off-topic, irritating and revolve around the whole notion that weather is only interesting if the temperature is below 0oC. Also your tantrums when snow does not head your way are to be it mildly, annyoing :cool:

Derek

Much easier.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=285284

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Afternoon Everyone :)

Introduction

As we prepare to enter another week that will contain below average temperatures, it's interesting to take a look at the synoptic evolution & as to what may develop over the coming medium term. Before discussing all of the associated background signals, it is noteworthy that in the next 7 Days, it is quite likely that some exceptionally deep cold pooling, with 850mb temperatures of -15 and below will develop across Scandinavia & to the Northeast. Should cold troughing develop just south of the UK & Ireland, then there is a definite risk of this deep cold being advected towards us quite rapidly. Some of the coldest air of the entire Winter season is about to develop over this region & it's something to watch going forward.

These developments are a direct response to the Major Warming event that has taken place at the 30mb level. Tropospheric developments have manifested in the form of extreme discontinuous High Latitude blocking to the Northwest & Variable North. Going forward, there are increasing signs of even more sustained blocking all across the variable North.

To an extent, developments during the coming week are similar to those which took place during the last week of December 2009. From Day 1 - Day 3, the country will be enveloped in an RPM (Returning Polar Maritime) airmass. From Day 3 onwards, the flow will become more Polar Maritime in nature, increasing the risk of wintry precipitation, with a subsequent fall in 850mb temperatures.

Synoptic Evolution

At 09.30 Hrs this morning, a Polar Trough of 1005mb is forming to the East of Greenland. A largescale blocking High of 1025mb is currently retrograding towards Greenland. An increasingly unstable pattern begins to develop across Ireland much later in the Day, with frontal systems beginning to move down across the country from the North/Northwest.

gfs-2010021406-0-6.png?6

This Polar Trough will make significant southward progress over the coming 36 Hours & will be centred just north of Scotland at 12 Hrs, Monday. An RPM airflow will cover Ireland, with shower activity developing at times, particularly across more Northern areas.

100214_0000_36.png

During Tuesday, this trough will make even further southward progress, becoming centred just off the Northwest coast of the country. Conditions will become increasingly cyclonic at this point, with rain becoming more widespread later in the day. Sleet is possible over high ground in particular, especially overnight on Tuesday.

100214_0000_60.png

Conditions will remain unsettled during Wednesday & Thursday as this feature becomes centred just to the South of the country, before transferring gradually Eastwards. As it begins tracks Eastwards, rather colder air will begin to make inroads across the country from the North. Frosts could well become increasingly sharp to severe again at night time, with ice formation after rainfall. There is a low risk of back edge snowfall across Northern areas in particular, later on Wednesday & into Thursday. During both of these days, there is an increasing risk of snowfall across high ground in particular.

100214_0000_108.png

Looking further ahead towards the weekend & there are certainly signs towards a continuation of cold conditions, perhaps even colder in nature with a low risk at the moment of Easterly/Northeasterly winds developing as a series of undercutting lows form to the south. Confidence is high in the general pattern up to Friday, at which time the main trough feature will have filled to leave slack, cold conditions across the country. Confidence is generally much lower thereafter.

ECMWF 00Z 14/02 - T+216

100214_0000_216.png

ECMWF 00Z 14/02 - T+240

100214_0000_240.png

Summary

In summary then, rather cold to at times cold conditions persisting through the coming week. Temperatures generally below average throughout, with an increasing risk of overnight sharp to severe frosts & icy stretches from Day 3/4 onwards, with a risk of precipitation increasingly wintry in nature. Towards the weekend, confidence is much lower, with a general signal for the persistence of cold & a low risk of even colder conditions returning from the East/Northeast. There is also a low risk of conditions turning less cold from the Southwest, however signals generally favour a cold pattern, approximately 60:40, at the present time.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

rpo wrote: »

Many thanks RPO, what a wonderful invention!

Derek

derekon wrote: »
    Oh don't be giving your senses to him , DE

Derek

this is a weather forum not a get at eachother forum

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Good to see strong emotions still flowing around here! :D

People were saying last week, that any snow would melt by afternoon, at this stage of the year,
    But if theres a big freeze on that kept temps to 1 or 2 during the day, it wouldnt melt would it?

Pangea wrote: »
    People were saying last week, that any snow would melt by afternoon, at this stage of the year,
    But if theres a big freeze on that kept temps to 1 or 2 during the day, it wouldnt melt would it?

No not really but it would still melt but only a little bit as long as temps stayed below 2c that is.. if it was deep it wouldnt melt at all..

karlog wrote: »
    Its snowed here in donegal 3 or 4 times this winter leaving some times 2 inches, but the snow wasnt great , nothing to build a decent snowman with, Great n all as the big freeze was it still hasnt snowed as much as it did last febuary or march, although last february/march snowfall was gone on the same day it fell , so i guess theres a trade off , off having snow during the big freeze of around 1 or 2 inches that lasted a few weeks, or the 7 inches freak blizzard that came to Letterkenny in Febraury and that melted that very night.

well it's difficult at this time of year as the sun gets stronger to have temps that hover close to freezing by day but if we tapped into really cold upper air, with a good wind, it would be possible to counteract the strength of the sun.

Its snowed here in donegal 3 or 4 times this winter leaving some times 2 inches, but the snow wasnt great , nothing to build a decent snowman with, Great n all as the big freeze was it still hasnt snowed as much as it did last febuary or march, although last february/march snowfall was gone on the same day it fell , so i guess theres a trade off , off having snow during the big freeze of around 1 or 2 inches that lasted a few weeks, or the 7 inches freak blizzard that came to Letterkenny in Febraury and that melted that very night.

With your post in mind, I wonder was there any location, outside of high ground, in Ireland that had a foot of lieing snow at any stage during the big freeze. i suspect not. so while it was exceptional in terms of sustained cold, i think we'll find that in more normal cold snaps we have gotten greater snowfall. with the background signals being extremely favourable for significant snowfall, at some stage, this winter has definitely been a letdown in that regard - unless you happen to live in the Wicklow and Donegal mountains and other spots well above sea level.

With your post in mind, I wonder was there any location, outside of high ground, in Ireland that had a foot of lieing snow at any stage during the big freeze. i suspect not. so while it was exceptional in terms of sustained cold, i think we'll find that in more normal cold snaps we have gotten greater snowfall. with the background signals being extremely favourable for significant snowfall, at some stage, this winter has definitely been a letdown in that regard - unless you happen to live in the Wicklow and Donegal mountains and other spots well above sea level.

we had 8 inches here..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

we had 8 inches here..

Not a foot though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Afternoon Everyone :)

Introduction

As we prepare to enter another week that will contain below average temperatures, it's interesting to take a look at the synoptic evolution & as to what may develop over the coming medium term. Before discussing all of the associated background signals, it is noteworthy that in the next 7 Days, it is quite likely that some exceptionally deep cold pooling, with 850mb temperatures of -15 and below will develop across Scandinavia & to the Northeast. Should cold troughing develop just south of the UK & Ireland, then there is a definite risk of this deep cold being advected towards us quite rapidly. Some of the coldest air of the entire Winter season is about to develop over this region & it's something to watch going forward.

These developments are a direct response to the Major Warming event that has taken place at the 30mb level. Tropospheric developments have manifested in the form of extreme discontinuous High Latitude blocking to the Northwest & Variable North. Going forward, there are increasing signs of even more sustained blocking all across the variable North.

To an extent, developments during the coming week are similar to those which took place during the last week of December 2009. From Day 1 - Day 3, the country will be enveloped in an RPM (Returning Polar Maritime) airmass. From Day 3 onwards, the flow will become more Polar Maritime in nature, increasing the risk of wintry precipitation, with a subsequent fall in 850mb temperatures.

Synoptic Evolution

At 09.30 Hrs this morning, a Polar Trough of 1005mb is forming to the East of Greenland. A largescale blocking High of 1025mb is currently retrograding towards Greenland. An increasingly unstable pattern begins to develop across Ireland much later in the Day, with frontal systems beginning to move down across the country from the North/Northwest.

gfs-2010021406-0-6.png?6

This Polar Trough will make significant southward progress over the coming 36 Hours & will be centred just north of Scotland at 12 Hrs, Monday. An RPM airflow will cover Ireland, with shower activity developing at times, particularly across more Northern areas.

100214_0000_36.png

During Tuesday, this trough will make even further southward progress, becoming centred just off the Northwest coast of the country. Conditions will become increasingly cyclonic at this point, with rain becoming more widespread later in the day. Sleet is possible over high ground in particular, especially overnight on Tuesday.

100214_0000_60.png

Conditions will remain unsettled during Wednesday & Thursday as this feature becomes centred just to the South of the country, before transferring gradually Eastwards. As it begins tracks Eastwards, rather colder air will begin to make inroads across the country from the North. Frosts could well become increasingly sharp to severe again at night time, with ice formation after rainfall. There is a low risk of back edge snowfall across Northern areas in particular, later on Wednesday & into Thursday. During both of these days, there is an increasing risk of snowfall across high ground in particular.

100214_0000_108.png

Looking further ahead towards the weekend & there are certainly signs towards a continuation of cold conditions, perhaps even colder in nature with a low risk at the moment of Easterly/Northeasterly winds developing as a series of undercutting lows form to the south. Confidence is high in the general pattern up to Friday, at which time the main trough feature will have filled to leave slack, cold conditions across the country. Confidence is generally much lower thereafter.

ECMWF 00Z 14/02 - T+216

100214_0000_216.png

ECMWF 00Z 14/02 - T+240

100214_0000_240.png

Summary

In summary then, rather cold to at times cold conditions persisting through the coming week. Temperatures generally below average throughout, with an increasing risk of overnight sharp to severe frosts & icy stretches from Day 3/4 onwards, with a risk of precipitation increasingly wintry in nature. Towards the weekend, confidence is much lower, with a general signal for the persistence of cold & a low risk of even colder conditions returning from the East/Northeast. There is also a low risk of conditions turning less cold from the Southwest, however signals generally favour a cold pattern, approximately 60:40, at the present time.

SA :)
    Excellent as usual, their could be slight changes as we move through the week but you have being bang on all winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well i've been keeping an eye on all the charts and post the past few days now, and it looks like we will see a returning polar maritime during this week. The problem is there will also be milder are mixed in as well making things very marginable. So im expecting to see very messy stuff of a mixture of rain, sleet and wet snow during the week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement