Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

irish1967 wrote: »
    And some even know where in Donegal !;)

do you know redcastle hotel - I go every year - always great weather round those parts tho I play on the golf course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

Have you noticed ever since Copenhagen, the whole world has been freezing its collective arse off?

I'm declaring unilateral victory over global warming, start the car !!!

Anyway, update from the 18z GFS (everyone's favourite drunk, so to speak).

It does show a slight upgrade to snowfall potential in Ireland tomorrow, my earlier forecast is hereby tweaked to suggest 4-6 cm potential in a rather ragged zone that includes basically any county that does not touch salt water (for more than ten miles, you know who you are, even if I don't).

There could even be some weak sea effect in the southeast again due to a gradual turning of winds from N to E during the day. And when we're dealing with "weak" snowfall in very cold conditions, the snow to water ratio may jump up and surprise us with a deep mantle of very fluffy snow, sometimes, it's not as simple as 2 mm of rain equals 2 cm of snow if the ratio is 20 or 30 to 1, then 2 mm of rain equals 4 or 6 cms of snow.

There was no upgrade to the Sunday situation from what I could see, perhaps a slight downgrade to it.

People are bound to notice some very low overnight readings over fresh snow cover that is radiating like mad -- at your latitude in Canada or continental Europe, even central England, with the kind of upper temperature dynamics now in place, it could easily fall well below -20 C on a night with clear sky conditions given 5-10 cms of fresh snow cover, it totally insulates the ground below from affecting the low-level atmosphere, so it's basically a question of how much moderation the surrounding seas might have, because essentially the conditions are there for rapid radiational cooling and a few -12 to -15 readings next few nights would not surprise me at all. They might not show up at official weather stations, but some in NI are already well down there. Calm winds help too, because then slightly milder air from another location can't blow in to replace the very cold air over your snow cover.

why speak in Riddles or maybe i is fick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z NOGAPS gives what looks like the mother of all snowfests. If snow showers brought Dublin to a hault today, this would be The Day After Tomorrow...

nogaps-2-90.png?06-23

But its NOGAPS....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Have you noticed ever since Copenhagen, the whole world has been freezing its collective arse off?

It does show a slight upgrade to snowfall potential in Ireland tomorrow, my earlier forecast is hereby tweaked to suggest 4-6 cm potential in a rather ragged zone that includes basically any county that does not touch salt water (for more than ten miles, you know who you are, even if I don't).

There could even be some weak sea effect in the southeast again due to a gradual turning of winds from N to E during the day. And when we're dealing with "weak" snowfall in very cold conditions, the snow to water ratio may jump up and surprise us with a deep mantle of very fluffy snow, sometimes, it's not as simple as 2 mm of rain equals 2 cm of snow if the ratio is 20 or 30 to 1, then 2 mm of rain equals 4 or 6 cms of snow.

There was no upgrade to the Sunday situation from what I could see, perhaps a slight downgrade to it.

People are bound to notice some very low overnight readings over fresh snow cover that is radiating like mad -- at your latitude in Canada or continental Europe, even central England, with the kind of upper temperature dynamics now in place, it could easily fall well below -20 C on a night with clear sky conditions given 5-10 cms of fresh snow cover, it totally insulates the ground below from affecting the low-level atmosphere, so it's basically a question of how much moderation the surrounding seas might have, because essentially the conditions are there for rapid radiational cooling and a few -12 to -15 readings next few nights would not surprise me at all. They might not show up at official weather stations, but some in NI are already well down there. Calm winds help too, because then slightly milder air from another location can't blow in to replace the very cold air over your snow cover.

Hey MT

Thanks so m,uch for such accurrate forscasts. Quick Q.... My local station is down on the beach. Their snow melted. I still have 10cm about 1mile up the road & 60m ASL. They are reading -.3. DP-4.5. What sort of temp are we looking at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

jenzz wrote: »
    Everyone in weather knows Pangea is donegal...............:)

Does he/she know how to update their profile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

And some even know where in Donegal !;)

Ok i admit 1967 has the dirt , be quiet lol
    :D
    how much exactly has accumulated out of that shower. by the way did you see that picture on the news of the frozen lake near ballybofey? i was up there last week and like an idiot forgot to bring my camera. Benbulben also looked spectacular.
    Yes i seen the pic of the lake ,very nice indeed! Imagine people going on the quads on it lol
    I suppose gave us around an inch of snow , it was nice and not expected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

no offense intended but it would be great if you were both right and wrong in this forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

jenzz wrote: »
    Hey MT

Thanks so m,uch for such accurrate forscasts. Quick Q.... My local station is down on the beach. Their snow melted. I still have 10cm about 1mile up the road & 60m ASL. They are reading -.3. DP-4.5. What sort of temp are we looking at ?

Their snow melting might have to do with the presence of salt rather than the tempreture.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

i just played the sky weather forecast video and nearly wet myself when i saw sunday please somebody tell me they are right:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

revr wrote: »
    do you know redcastle hotel - I go every year - always great weather round those parts tho I play on the golf course!

Oh dear God..lmao:o

• Advertisement

18Z NOGAPS gives what looks like the mother of all snowfests. If snow showers brought Dublin to a hault today, this would be The Day After Tomorrow...

But its NOGAPS....;)

Thats why a warning is out for N.Ireland from the met office for Sunday. They expecting something

snaps wrote: »
    Do you know how to read my last posts, Anyone that has a problem with me I suggest them to contact the moderator instead of cluttering the forum.
    Enough is Enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hope you enjoyed all your snow, this cold spell is not leading to much snow for the West of Scotland. It is galling to see we have been sub zero for 3 weeks and then that fantastic band of snow skips over us and goes to England yesterday :( We need more winds from the East so that the North Sea percip can be blown towards Glasgow.

-9.2c here with some fantastic sparkling on the snow

Oh dear God..lmao:o

what? goin to a hotel is funny?

snaps wrote: »

But we all know she be there ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Ok i admit 1967 has the dirt , be quiet lol
    :D

Yes i seen the pic of the lake ,very nice indeed! Imagine people going on the quads on it lol
    I suppose gave us around an inch of snow , it was nice and not expected at all.

i really hope there are no idiots going out walking on it
    anyway, i think the snowfall you don't expect is nearly always the best.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

poolboy wrote: »
    i just played the sky weather forecast video and nearly wet myself when i saw sunday please somebody tell me they are right:eek:

Hope it's not quite right, when I looked earlier, I think it was showing 5c in Dublin!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

If i remember correctly, that TV3 news report should be on in a few mins ,They went up in to the Roundwood , Co Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

down to -11.2c here in Naas co kildare

Cork & Kerry ,mentioned for snow tomorrow on Sky News

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

temps leveling out here, not dropping much in the last hour. Currently -8.1c, im hoping for double figures of more than -11.3c.

:eek:
    pad199207 wrote: »
    down to -11.2c here in Naas co kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

NOGAPS 18Z is actually kinda scary between 84 and 120 hours. As much as I love snow, that would be too much.

Lets hope this isnt the 1 in 100 time that it gets it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

flying to Liverpool on Friday morn and coming back Sunday evening....Wats my chances?

i really hope there are no idiots going out walking on it
    *Puts away blackberry and sneaks off the frozen lake :pac:

Sky news always overdo temps - Plus half the time they more focused on Europe than the UK and Ireland weather!

Baltinglass in the lead on the NRA table... -10.7

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just hit -12c in Tullow

flying to Liverpool on Friday morn and coming back Sunday evening....Wats my chances?

If all goes to plan.. no need to fly.. you can skate over:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Get a load of your man, hardcore , out in his housecoat clearing the snow !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement