Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boiler replacement. Cost Vs Benefit. What are my options?

• 13-10-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks.

My current boiler requires a repair that will cost me in the region of @€;500.

Boiler is in Situ over 10yrs and when new was @86% efficient.
    My current setup is as a "system" boiler, with boiler heating HW cylinder whe running.
    During summer and even up to date this year this has led to quite a reliance on the immersion as the house is quite well insulated and the stove fire tends to heat the sitting room kitchen and stair well quite well.

I am leaning towards replacing the system boiler with a combi and ditching my HW tank for perhaps a rad in the hotpress.

I've reached out to some local plumbers for a quote and in and @2400 seems to be where I will be at pricewise.
    With the savings in efficiency, the savings versus electric hotwater and the saving on the repair that is @20% of the cost of a new boiler it is currently making fairly straight forward sense to go with new.

Am I missing anything in my logic?
    Have been quoted so far for an intergas Eco, with more quotes due.

I am out of luck grantwise I think, as I already have a nest in situ.
    So price v performance is a concern for the install as I don't think I will receive any subsidy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

I keep looking at my system for similar reasons..
    But efficiency wise, I think about €80 per year for a new 92% Vs my current Oil, boilerhouse system. So, not on.
    The problem is
    We absolutely hate having the boiler run in summer, so hot water is electricity, or...
    Solar.

Btw, 500 seems an odd price for repair. heat exchanger?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If you’re getting quotes of 2,400 then I’m assuming it’s a friend who’s pricing that. A pressurising pump needs to be added to your system for a start. Using mains in Ireland for a combi simply isn’t good enough. If your quotes are coming in less than 3k then corners are being cut.
    How many hot draw off points do you have btw?
    If you didn’t apply for the Seai grant before then yes, you probably are eligible once the property was built pre 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If you’re getting quotes of 2,400 then I’m assuming it’s a friend who’s pricing that. A pressurising pump needs to be added to your system for a start. Using mains in Ireland for a combi simply isn’t good enough. If your quotes are coming in less than 3k then corners are being cut.
    How many hot draw off points do you have btw?
    If you didn’t apply for the Seai grant before then yes, you probably are eligible once the property was built pre 2006

Thanks for the replies folks.
    3 HW draw points, 1 shower and 2 sinks.
    The price quoted is from a local plumbing company via their email quote facility and a further nationwide "Chain" has come in at 2099 including seai grants (The house is pre '06).
    I am awaiting a few more prices before whittling down.

Any opinions on the Intergas Eco?

Intergas have the best combi on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I got 2 guys from Dublin to put a Worchester Bosch in. Fantastic job and boiler.

You get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

Intergas have the best combi on the market

Thanks for that DTP1979.
    The lad that quoted for the interface is also honestly the most responsive of the lads I've been communicating with.
    The 10yr warranty and his customer manner are probably gonna make him my choice.
    Just had no knowledge of Intergas and I appreciate the info.

ebbsy wrote: »

You get what you pay for.

The purpose of this thread is to find out what that is...
    Before I pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

banie01 wrote: »
    The purpose of this thread is to find out what that is...
    Before I pay for it

This was about 2 years ago -

€2600

Boiler - Bosch
    Filter
    Timer
    Flush

And they did a great job. Gas.

So have had a couple of RGI's out to quote for the work and I'm happy to report that my water pressure was tested and it's pushing out @13.5ltrs a minute so the combi is a viable option.

All quotes to supply and fit have come in at in and around the €2600 mark, be it straight swap for the existing system setup and additional zoning or going with the combi.

What is curious is that there are a couple of quotes that include SEAI grant and carbon credit as a discount against total cost of supply and fit...
    Yet still come in at the same price as a non-subsidised supply and fit for an Intergas combi?

13ltrs a minute is harmless enough tbh.

• Advertisement

13ltrs a minute is harmless enough tbh.

It is, but the combi I'm looking at is specced for 12ltrs so it's a +10% margin.
    Or is there something else I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Far better off with the combi

It is, but the combi I'm looking at is specced for 12ltrs so it's a +10% margin.
    Or is there something else I'm missing?

What kind of flow rates are you getting with 3 taps and a shower on?

What kind of flow rates are you getting with 3 taps and a shower on?

I'll check and let you know as soon as.

I'll check and let you know as soon as.

You won’t be able to check, as your system is gravity fed from a tank. You’ll only be able to check when the combi is fitted and mains is supplying everything. I’m telling ya, Irish mains is shjte. Get a booster pump

You won’t be able to check, as your system is gravity fed from a tank. You’ll only be able to check when the combi is fitted and mains is supplying everything. I’m telling ya, Irish mains is shjte. Get a booster pump

I can check at the kitchen tap or indeed the attic tank surely?
    Or are neither of those actually at mains pressure?

I can check at the kitchen tap or indeed the attic tank surely?
    Or are neither of those actually at mains pressure?

They are yes. But when your combi goes in and it’s only the mains that’s supplying all taps/showers, then the flow rate will drop drastically

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It really depends on your particular situation. If you are at the bottom of a hill you might (but not necessarily) fare better than someone on top of the hill of Howth. You might do well most of year or even for a couple of mild years but when the water pressure is reduced due to a water shortage, then you might find yourself in trouble. Why leave it to chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Irish mains is unpredictable. At least with a break tank / pump arrangement, you have some water reserve in case of mains shut down or pressure drop.
    I personally would not install a combi boiler without a break tank / pump arrangement, irrespective of water regs etc, I just know it will be dependable and produce the desired effect for the customer.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Irish mains is unpredictable. At least with a break tank / pump arrangement, you have some water reserve in case of mains shut down or pressure drop.
    I personally would not install a combi boiler without a break tank / pump arrangement, irrespective of water regs etc, I just know it will be dependable and produce the desired effect for the customer.

Break tank and a pump, especially considering I have a pump that will be idle if I do go with a combi is an idea I had never considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Break tank and a pump, especially considering I have a pump that will be idle if I do go with a combi is an idea I had never considered.

Which make / model pump do you have?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Which make / model pump do you have?

I have an unused salamender mains pump from an old installation as well as a currently installed salamander shower pump.

Advertisement