Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasons To Be Cheerful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Great news and congrats to Ms and Mr CheerLouth !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Just seen A Fairytale of New York on MTV.
    Yesssss. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had our first home made mince pies today, absolutely amazing, way nicer than shop bought. First of many for the season methinks!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Posy wrote: »
    Just seen A Fairytale of New York on MTV.
    Yesssss. :D

Do MTV still play music?? I thought it was all reality show [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] these days!

TRS30 wrote: »
    Do MTV still play music?? I thought it was all reality show [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] these days!

Their 'other' channels actually play music still.
    Think the other Christmas music channels are due to appear in the next couple of weeks, including MTV's one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I only have 43 working days (including today) left until my Christmas Holidays and then I'm off for 12 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    I only have 43 working days (including today) left until my Christmas Holidays and then I'm off for 12 days :)

Sure you're practically finished. Start the wind down now!

My reason to be cheerful is that I've unexpectedly been given tomorrow off. I'm going to catch up on a couple of Christmas movies I've had lined up for awhile.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sure you're practically finished. Start the wind down now!

My reason to be cheerful is that I've unexpectedly been given tomorrow off. I'm going to catch up on a couple of Christmas movies I've had lined up for awhile.

Oh I love unexpected days off!! Enjoy!! Long weekend for you too :D

........... that I've unexpectedly been given tomorrow off. .....

Reminds me the great line from the Simpsons

Marge; 'Homer, work called and said if you're not in tomorrow don't bother coming in Monday'

Homer; 'Woohoo, four day weekend'

:D:D:D

As mentioned on another thread have 40 left myself... then 2 full weeks off, finishing up on the Friday 20th & not back until Jan 6th... 16 days in a row without work... result!!!

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    As mentioned on another thread have 40 left myself... then 2 full weeks off, finishing up on the Friday 20th & not back until Jan 6th... 16 days in a row without work... result!!!

That is a result, I'm finished the same day but back in Jan 2nd.

That is a result, I'm finished the same day but back in Jan 2nd.

My Mrs is the same.

I'm using up extra holidays to cover it, we normally need to leave 3 to cover the office being closed over Christmas but I need 6, I have loads left as I rarely take them all during the year & enjoy the fact that in our industry pretty much everything shuts down for that period so you're not coming back to a pile of stuff thats come in while you were off... best time to take leave IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Yis have me counting now too - 42 days left :D I'm finishing on the 20th. I might work a day over the hols between Christmas & New Year - it does be dead quiet and I can WFH so it's pretty much just being at home with the laptop on. I prob won't go back until the 6th because of the school hols!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Yis have me counting now too - 42 days left :D I'm finishing on the 20th. I might work a day over the hols between Christmas & New Year - it does be dead quiet and I can WFH so it's pretty much just being at home with the laptop on. I prob won't go back until the 6th because of the school hols!

Yea I'll have to do the same I reckon, but I don't mind I'll be in my pjs with Christmas Music playing and Chocolate for Breakfast and no one will be able to judge me :pac:

Yea I'll have to do the same I reckon, but I don't mind I'll be in my pjs with Christmas Music playing and Chocolate for Breakfast and no one will be able to judge me :pac:

Well we (as in us on the crimbo forum) can, albeit favourably :D

Exactly - last year I did a Christmas Jigsaw with the kids on the day I WFH. Which reminds me - order a new Christmas Jigsaw :D

Just finishing up work for the day, off tomorrow as traveling to the UK for a family wedding.

Is just my folks, sister, brother and myself (no kids so better halves staying at home to mind little ones). First time just the 5 of us have been away together in about 20 years :)

Have a good guys.

It's Friday once again! Absolutely another reason to be cheerful!! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Brown Thomas officially launched their Christmas windows yesterday evening with some songs outside the shop...it's a very long video so I didn't watch it all but the longer it goes on, the more Christmassy the songs get :D

Here it is

Work is like a warzone these days with a heavy workload beating most of us in here from pillar to post daily so to have made it to the end of another week is a victory in itself, as we're heading out for dinner & a few drinks tomorrow in Malahide with my family at least theres something to look forward to also. The its just one more week of warfare before a week off a fw days down in West Cork....

Have a great weekend y'all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

This the first week since mid June that I have not had to get up at 3.30am for a flight to spending the working week away from the family. I was panicking last night 7pm that I needed to pack I just couldn't relax. Lets see how long it lasts being home.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Exactly - last year I did a Christmas Jigsaw with the kids on the day I WFH. Which reminds me - order a new Christmas Jigsaw :D

Was a jigsaw shop in the village we were staying in for the wedding. Never seen so many jigsaw in one place. What really jumped out at me was the number of Christmas themed ones, was literately 100's of them :) (manages to limit myself to buying just the two!!)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Was a jigsaw shop in the village we were staying in for the wedding. Never seen so many jigsaw in one place. What really jumped out at me was the number of Christmas themed ones, was literately 100's of them :) (manages to limit myself to buying just the two!!)

Sounds brilliant! I have a Winnie the Pooh one that I will take out this year to do with the kids, but I like to get one for me and Mr. CL to do when the kids are in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My husband bought me a 1000-piece Christmas jigsaw for Christmas last year and I made a start on it but I quickly realised it was a pre-Christmas job rather than post-Christmas. Looking forward to making a start in November I think.

My husband bought me a 1000-piece Christmas jigsaw for Christmas last year and I made a start on it but I quickly realised it was a pre-Christmas job rather than post-Christmas. Looking forward to making a start in November I think.

Yes, doing Christmas jigsaw in mid/late January can be tough, even for us good folk. If I have a festive themed one usually make it an early presents can be finished before the end of Christmas (last day before going back to work in Jan).

We got a pack of 5 1000 piece christmas jigsaws last year, started with great intentions of completing 1 a year in the build up to christmas each year, as we're used to jigsaws thought a 6 week period was loads, turns out it wasn't even close, never had we attempted such a difficult jigsaw, by the start of february we had given it up as an impossible task... maybe we'll get a chance to revisit this year but with all the work we're getting done likely to drag into late November thats unlikely. So christmas 2020 is the aim to finish at least the first one :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I love a good jigsaw, I did one earlier this year that was an old map of the world... I might have to drop some hints about Christmas jigsaws!

I had a really long and stressful day of work yesterday (I work from home) - himself went grocery shopping after dinner and arrived back with an ice cream and a box of Christmas ribbons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Guys, I haven't done a jigsaw in years, and I want one right now !

Jigsaws are great. I find doing them with a glass of wine very relaxing and therapeutic. Are a great social thing as well. My parents always have at least one on the go around Christmas and into the New Year, when family and friends pop in they usually end up around the dinning room table doing a bit of jigsaw, having a chat, drink, some snacks etc.

• Advertisement

Got paid yesterday.
    Its Friday.
    Its a Bank holiday weekend.
    We're heading down the country with the family for a few days tomorrow morning.
    I'm off work next week.
    I'm not in work for 9 whole days!!

Reasons to be cheerful? Absolutely!

Advertisement