Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

German Christmas markets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Sounds good !
    If you can get to Salzburg in Austria (I believe it is about 1 hour by train from Munich) it is a really charming city. I was there one Spring (flew there though) and it was stunning, can imagine how it must be with the snow at Christmas-time

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

otnomart wrote: »
    Sounds good !
    If you can get to Salzburg in Austria (I believe it is about 1 hour by train from Munich) it is a really charming city. I was there one Spring (flew there though) and it was stunning, can imagine how it must be with the snow at Christmas-time

Would you believe I was in both Vienna and salzburg last December for the markets.

First Christmas market of the year opens in Bayreuth, a town in Bavaria

https://www.iamexpat.de/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/germanys-first-christmas-market-has-already-opened

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

You should go to Rothenburg if you can. They have an amazing Kathe Wohlfahrt shop and museum there. Its only a small town but its beautiful.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g187319-d243433-Reviews-German_Christmas_Museum-Rothenburg_Middle_Franconia_Franconia_Bavaria.html

https://www.weihnachtsmuseum.de/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

I've been to most of the christmas markets you mentioned. Munich and Nuremberg are great for the winter season. I personally think Berlin is more suited for a summer rave or concert trip thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

First Christmas market of the year opens in Bayreuth, a town in Bavaria

https://www.iamexpat.de/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/germanys-first-christmas-market-has-already-opened

I spent a lot of my 20s there. It's a lovely town, all year round. Well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

When I was in Vienna last year I bought a second suitcase over there and almost got stung for a small fortune when I checked it in at the airport. This time round I'm gonna bring the 2 cases with me. Anyone any experience tips or advice on this? I will need a second case.

What kind of stuff do U buy in a Christmas market that u need a second suitcase ? I’m going to Munich this year so curious as to if I’ll need an extra bag too!?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

i tend to buy alot of things and as ive never been there before i dont know what they have there. i do get many markets will have similar things but i would like the option to buy big!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

i tend to buy alot of things and as ive never been there before i dont know what they have there. i do get many markets will have similar things but i would like the option to buy big!!

Haha better be safe than sorry! I’m flying to Munich with aer Lingus where u can bring 20kg bag for free but flying home with Ryanair where I have to pay for the 20kg bag!!we only bringing one as a result ...only chose return flight with Ryanair due to timing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Corvo

Did Berlin last year, loved it. Load up on Gluwein (sp?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

You know it's getting close to Christmas when you have to go to page 2 to find a thread!!

My Mum and sister are off to Prague at the start of December to visit the Christmas markets. Not jealous at all :(

ps. have orders in already for some handmade decorations, particularly wooden ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Any experience of the Frankfurt Christmas market? Our daughter's heading that way in December.

Any experience of the Frankfurt Christmas market? Our daughter's heading that way in December.
    Never been there, yet.

If she has got time for one day-trip, I recommend Heidelberg which is 1 hour by train.
    It is a beautiful historic city with a castle.
    Was there one Summer and would love to see it at Christmas-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Never been there, yet.

If she has got time for one day-trip, I recommend Heidelberg which is 1 hour by train.
    It is a beautiful historic city with a castle.
    Was there one Summer and would love to see it at Christmas-time.

Absolutely wonderful idea. I was in Heidelberg in the 90s, fabulous place. Thank you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/travel-best-christmas-markets-to-visit-this-holiday/id698050979?i=1000457151909

Bit late for this year probably but some tips if anyone is making a market trip for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Strasbourg

Advertisement