Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hong Kong

• 04-10-2019 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

My wife and I are flying out to Japan in a couple of weeks with Cathay Pacific.
    We have a nine hour layover in Hong Kong on the way out and back. We are starting to get a bit worried due to the trouble out in HK at the minute.
    Have more or less shelved the idea of going out of the airport to see some of HK city due to the risk of getting caught up in the trouble and not making the connecting flight. So I might try and see if we can kill some time in the airport in one of the lounges (9 hours is a long time to have to kill)

But maybe we should be looking at trying to avoid HK and see if we can cancel the flights and rebook. I booked the flight direct with Cathay Pacific and I doubt if Cathay will be agreeable to a cancel/ rebook request. Their Customer Support is largely over email and is very non-committal on whether the flights will be affected- but I suppose the situation is changing so much then that is all they can do.

Has anyone been through Hong Kong airport in the last few days? whats the situation like there in the airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

There was the big protest at the airport back at the start of August, it's basically not been affected since then. Airport express trains are slowed/stopped on occasion (and the MTR is totally shut today), but flights have been landing/departing as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Know a girl that was in Hong Kong just last week, she said it's a brilliant time to go, all the hotels are reduced, no queues at tourist attractions and she was easily able to avoid any trouble. 🀷*♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I’m considering cancelling my trip. I too am booked to go to Hong Kong in a few weeks. If I can’t get money back on my flight, I might fly to Hong Kong and the. Fly somewhere else nearby. Does anyone have any suggestions on places near Hong Kong that would be worth visiting? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If you were going to Hong Kong to see the city then you can go to Taipei city in taiwan.
    Amazing place.
    Amazing night markets also has Taipei 101
    No visa needed either for irish.

XsApollo wrote: »
    If you were going to Hong Kong to see the city then you can go to Taipei city in taiwan.
    Amazing place.
    Amazing night markets also has Taipei 101
    No visa needed either for irish.

And it’s a short hop across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Thank you for your reply. Taiwan is somewhere I know very little about but seems very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Know a girl that was in Hong Kong just last week, she said it's a brilliant time to go, all the hotels are reduced, no queues at tourist attractions and she was easily able to avoid any trouble. ��*♀️

No queues this week either - the underground rail service is suspended and all cultural venues closed.

poisonated wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Taiwan is somewhere I know very little about but seems very interesting.

Yea Taipei is a great spot, very easy going and the night markets are brilliant too, very safe place also, I think one of the safest cities in the world?
    Plenty to do there and the public transport is great to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭arrowman

I have decided to try and book an airport hotel near the airport and use it to catch some sleep and freshen up before he onward trip to Japan.
    Its not cheap however - since we are arriving at 6 in the morning and need to be back in the airport by 14:30 then the hotel wants us to take a room. this is costing €150 room only. Which is a bit steep

Advertisement