Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cargo holds are pressurised the same as the cabin, they aren't heated/insulated in many cases (sometimes one part is, if carrying pets in carriers); but they won't be cold enough to freeze water let alone something with ethanol in it.

The entire tube between the nose and the rear bulkhead is the same pressurisation or else the floor would collapse/explode basically. You can get <100ml pressurised deoderant and shaving foam cans that are cabin-OK; that rule is based on liquid volume alone. And is finally going away anyway over the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I'm due to fly to Atlanta on Sunday via Charlotte.

Do you think there'll be any issues due to Hurricane Dorian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I'm due to fly to Atlanta on Sunday via Charlotte.

Do you think there'll be any issues due to Hurricane Dorian?

Hard to say
    I wouldn't worry about it yet
    Models are having difficulty grasping its track
    By wenesday it should be heading that way
    Sunday is s long way from wenesday

Current thinking is it won't
    Excerpt from today's local forecasters discussion
    Synopsis...
    dry high pressure will remain across the western Carolinas and
    northeast Georgia into Wednesday. Hurricane dorian is forecast to
    move northeast, just off the Carolina coast Thursday into Thursday
    night. This track would result in minimal to no impacts for the
    western Carolinas and northeast Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Jeff2 wrote: »

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Jeff2 wrote: »

I think that the interesting thing about this is that Mech1 isn't an aviation nerd, he started something, likes the idea that he is helping other people and providing enjoyment to them, but the costs are now a burden to his household budget.

There have to be enough people who listen to EIDW that are in a position to contribute €1 per month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

And that is the crux. €1 a month from 70 ppl will cover the service.
    Peesonally I'm not a big user but am h as opy to chip in for the 3-4 times a year I do want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Quick question;

I'm travelling from DNK to DUB via VIE on Austrian and Aer Lingus. Both flights have the same eTicket #, will my bags go all the way through or will I have to grab the bag and re-check it in VIE?, the layover is super tight at 1hr 45m. Whilst I'm not too fussed if the bag follows me on the next day, I'd really don't want to overnight in VIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If the through journey is on the same ticket the bags should be checked through.

Same booking reference,so yes

• Advertisement

LXFlyer wrote: »
    If the through journey is on the same ticket the bags should be checked through.
    Mortelaro wrote: »
    Same booking reference,so yes

It was booked through Concur, so I think it's separate booking references but same eTicket # if that makes sense.

The bag is a work one that'll come home empty so I'm not too plussed if it lags behind.

Thanks to the both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Have any of you had experience flying Aeroflot and changing in SVO? I need to do DUB-ALA for work and seems via SVO is the best option but on the way back its suggesting a 1h15 change including a change of terminal, is that doable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

BigMoose wrote: »
    Have any of you had experience flying Aeroflot and changing in SVO? I need to do DUB-ALA for work and seems via SVO is the best option but on the way back its suggesting a 1h15 change including a change of terminal, is that doable?

I don't have personal experience but I know that you require a Russian transit visa as flights from Russia to Kazakhstan are considered domestic flights.

This is from the Russian embassy:

"Passengers travelling to/from Belarus and Kazakhstan via the Russian Federation need to obtain the transit Russian visa irrespectively of their duration of stay in Russia."

http://dublin.kdmid.ru/en.aspx?lst=en&it=/Applying%20for%20a%20visa.aspx

I was booked on it once, then cancelled it as I did DUB-DXB-ALA (Emirates/FlyDubai) instead, have also done ALA-FRA-DUB (Lufthansa) on the way back. Turns out the SVO leg got cancelled on the way back.

I'd avoid it as the return legs aren't great and would require a lengthy layover in Moscow.

The transit visa is a right pain in the @rse! If they want my passport for days it's not going to happen as I'm travelling elsewhere in the mean time.

So will look for another route. I would go Emirates but skyscanner is offering silly connections with 7-8 hours in DXB. FRA is definitely an option though. Will keep digging for a sensible alternative.

Emirates offer hotel vouchers if your connection is 8 hours and above, whilst it's not ideal it's more ideal than SVO :pac:. The Lufthansa route is all on new planes too which was also nice.

Flights via IST are coming up fairly sensible times. Assume you don't need a transit visa here? Emirates wont even let me put ALA as a destination... in the advance search it does but says it cant do that itinerary...

IST doesn't require a transit visa, but will require an EVisa if you want to step outside. With Emirates you need to book as separates DUB-DXB and DXB-ALA or at least I did as I required to be in DXB for a day anyways.

Turkish is the way to go to ALA alright
    Brand new airport at IST too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Turkish is the way to go to ALA alright
    Brand new airport at IST too

Turkish and the new Istanbul Airport are great. I wouldn't do the short connection on the evening flight from Dublin as it's nearly always late.

IST is easy to transfer in, you don't have to go through security again (from the EU at least) but there can be long walking distances.

• Advertisement

Thanks all - IST certainly looks the most useful option. Although looks like I need to get the morning flight and then arrive in ALA at 4am which sucks. Guess I'll be going a day earlier!

It's been a year or two since I was in IST so guessing it's a nice new airport since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Thanks all - IST certainly looks the most useful option. Although looks like I need to get the morning flight and then arrive in ALA at 4am which sucks. Guess I'll be going a day earlier!

It's been a year or two since I was in IST so guessing it's a nice new airport since then.

Bring your walking shoes....its huge!!!

Thanks all for your great help with my DUB-ALA flight, I would potentially have been in trouble if not for this thread as a colleague told me I don't need any visa's going via SVO! In the end I've booked via FRA as the times were slightly less horrible than IST :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

A mate is on holiday in Barcelona and due to return tomorrow (Wednesday). However yesterday evening he got an email from Ryanair warning of a security staff strike tomorrow but he can find no further info. He's worried his flight might be cancelled.

Does anyone know the likelihood of that or will he just be delayed? He's stressing somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Hi All,

the girlfriend has the option of travelling home from the UK tomorrow to Dublin (landing in Dublin about 10pm). Shes a bit nervous about the storm coming through. Anyone have any info on whether its going to affect flights or how bac it might get for Dublin Airport?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Current predictions (wind map on met.ie) are actually for light winds in the Dublin area (grey or only light green on the map)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Current predictions (wind map on met.ie) are actually for light winds in the Dublin area (grey or only light green on the map)

Just to note: those are just average wind strengths. What is most likely to disrupt airport operations is the strength of wind gusts, and the direction will matter hugely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

What are the chances of flights into Belfast International Airport bring disrupted tomorrow afternoon?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

tanko wrote: »
    What are the chances of flights into Belfast International Airport bring disrupted tomorrow afternoon?

Storm only making landfall tomorrow evening so should be grand. Friday morning may well be sporty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

VG31 wrote: »
    Turkish and the new Istanbul Airport are great. I wouldn't do the short connection on the evening flight from Dublin as it's nearly always late.

IST is easy to transfer in, you don't have to go through security again (from the EU at least) but there can be long walking distances.

Do you know if any cafe/restaurant in the new Istanbul airport will refill water bottles?

Brand new airport doesn't have any drinking fountains, emailed them to ask and they said "Regarding your request, please kindly note that there is not water dispenser services at the airport. We kindly inform you that our works are continue on the matter and relevant service will be provided at soon. Thank you for your concern."

I saw (somewhere online) small bottles of water are around $3 to buy, not sure how accurate this is though.

Advertisement