Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to say goodbye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Base price wrote: »
    Best of luck to both of ye. If what I hear about Sweden is true then you will have a super internet connection there - so no excuses for not keeping in touch :)
    Also, I am sure you will get bored occasionally during those excessively long winter nights so no better place to spend some time than with your cyber friends on F&F :D

Yeah proper infrastructure will take a bit of getting used to. Nights are much differnt to here, closer to living in somewhere like Glasgow. We have gone on Hols further north and the midnight sun is a bit weird in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Best of luck with it grazeaway, it'll be a big change, hope it works out the finest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

All the best Grazeaway hope it works out. But make sure you remember the mothers people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Best of luck grazeaway, hope it all works out for the best.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Hope it all works out, best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

The very best of good luck grazeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

grazeaway wrote: »
    She gets a good chuckle when everyone thinks she should have blonde hair and blue eyes. In fact I was suprised the 1st time I went there too, more blondes in Ireland, as they say over there is you want blondes go to Finland or Norway... Ha ha ha.

I thought Blondes were a french breed. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Grazeaway, all the very best. Wish I had the goolies years ago to do it!!!!
    Sure stay on line and keep us all jealous, I mean updated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Best of luck to the both of ye lad!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Very best of good luck.
    Shur keep us all in the loop, you have the makings of a great story to be told. Keep on posting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Well I usually don't frequent those type of places...ha ha ha

They where in the pub one of the lads thought he was well in until she told him how much she charged

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sounds like an exciting change. There are times when i'd love to get outta here and work in a different country. Prefer somewhere warmer than Sweden, but its a great country all the same in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Sounds like an exciting change. There are times when i'd love to get outta here and work in a different country. Prefer somewhere warmer than Sweden, but its a great country all the same in many ways.

Was over there myself a few years ago couldn't belive how warm in was in the summer, as the locals say they fly south for the winter....ha ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

best of luck, youll be sound out with those swedish women to be looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Just wondering how many on here have or would move to start a new life in a different country, language and culture?

Best of luck. Didn't see other threads but sounds like ye've discussed it plenty and it's a joint decision.

I've two good college friends settled in the UK who I'd have bet on settling at home. They never intended to live away but love etc etc. Now one immediately accepted his decision and has made his life there and is content. The other still comes home alot, talks of moving home etc and 15 years later is still unsettled. I think you get the point.

Again best of luck and a happy family is more important than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

Best of luck.

Hope everything goes ok for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The very best of luck to you. Having a good woman beside you is half the battle. Enjoy the adventure, it's the stuff dreams are made of. Fill us filled in on all the details, we're fierce nosey here !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

best of luck with your move. nothing ventured etc.

Well it's been a very busy few weeks since we got here at the start of the month. Weather has been a bit irish for most of may and June so corn was late going in. Been travelling a lot with work so haven't had much input to what's going on here but have been busy when I have been at home.

Said I'd post a few pics to give ye an up date.

Here are the tractors after we got the corn done a few weeks back. We were flat out going 24hrs a day once it dried up. Valtra is ours and it does of the work here on our place. Very comfortable and nice to drive up neither I or the FIL are huge fans and it has had issues with reliability too. Lease is up next year so I'll be looking to change it for a NH if I get my way.

Case is the BIL's it's 20 years old but it only has about 6000 hrs on the clock as it is only used on the tillage farm and does no contracting. Used for prepping the ground, sowing and bringing into the grain in the authunm.

Here is how you repair a country road in Sweden, cork coco should take note.

• Advertisement

The girls say hi. About 20 of them are ours and will be coming on stream next spring. The rest are ones the FIL is contract rearing. There are another 100 or so in another field. We will start to reduce these are our own herd rises. Milking about 40 at the moment (well her self is) plans is to get to 60 next year then 70-80 the year after. We will see then after that. I reckon we could get to about 120 easy enough with the current set up but parlour is small so it will take up a lot of our time. Will be looking at robots next year and see if a robot or conventional parlour I'll be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Glad to hear from you Graze. Sounds like things aren't going too bad :)

Glad to hear from you Graze. Sounds like things aren't going too bad :)

Not too bad so far but I have been very busy with work since I got here. Off again next week but will be home then for a few weeks so will give me a chance to get going here properly. Some of the local lads think we are mad to be looking to have the cows grazing outside for most of the year but it's actually the older farmers that are the most encouraging as they all say "there was no zero grazing during the war"

Was trying to find photos of the zero grazing set up we have up my phone died recently so lost everything I had in it. Valtra has a front linkage and we have a front mower on that, old silage wagon behind to pick up the grass and then leave it out along feed passage.

Being making silage bales here for a few years now but before that it was the wagon that was used to put silage into a pit like at home. But there's was a lot of waste if there were a number of cuts. Silage over here tends to be lots of small cuts throughout the summer they are amazed when I tell them about the heavy cuts we have in Ireland.

Going to put maize into the silage pit this year, a but if an experiment but we ll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

This makes great reading, nice to see how farming elsewhere is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Good on you grazeaway. Interesting to hear how it's done over there. It sounds like you're getting on well with the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Just come across this thread now grazeaway. Very interesting and wish you the best of luck, health & happiness in your move. I guess it's nice when you're moving from farm to farm (helps a little I mean).. :)

Well folks are ye all happy to see a bit of drying? Was home a few weeks ago and driving down from Dublin airport there was still a lot of flooding around.
    Sister was saying that they are hoping to have the 1st lot out on grass this weekend.

Cattle won't be out here till the end of the month, still cold enough here but it's been a mild enough winter not much snow but plenty of rain in December and jan. Locals keeping saying I have brought the irish weather with me.

So a bit of an update on winter round here. Not much different to home in that the cows have been in since November but they won't be out for a bit yet. Most cattle are inside all the time, sheds are much warmer here as they a made from wood (or maybe it seems that way). Heifers are actually out on kale during the day and in at night. Calving season has just started for us this week 5 heifers and a bull so far, plan to have them all calved by the end of the month. Been doing a lot of traveling since Christmas but will be based at home for next while so that will be good for checking the cows.

Still getting used to the cultural changes but I'm usually home every 5-6 weeks for a few days with work so not too bad.

After the last few months of milking and weighting up our options I'd say it's nearly 75% sure that we will get a robot in a year or 2. We will take the dairy herd to about 70 and graze the fields around the yard for the summer then milk from the shed up to Christmas and in spring. OH wants to run a beef herd too and is planning on setting up a farm shop with a few other locals. I really noticed that milking 40 cows 3 times a day during the summer takes up a lot of time so if we upped to 100 or so the cost of new parlour wouldn't be much more then the robot, and much more support for them here as they are much more common.

Have been using a diet feeder for the 1st time recently OH has been earning few extra bob feeding cattle on neighbouring farm. A full load does all his per day so he said we can use it on ours afterwards. So she brings it back here fills it and feeds ours a that does 2 days, empties it tomorrow before doing the neighbours. We made some maize to mix with the silage and I reckon we will do the same again next year.

Big difference over here is that amount of machinery sharing, very different to back home. BIL is a contractor so we borrow stuff from him if we need it but I do notice that plenty of the neighbours share gear. Most farmers will have just the one tractor (usually a decent sized one with a loader) but would only have a small bit of other gear of their own. Stuff like mowers, wrappers, seed drills, slurry tankers and combines are owned and shared by a couple of similar sized farms. There wouldn't be a culture of folks taking the piss.

Well folks it just over a year since the big move and all going well. Currently on my vacation time ( us Nordics tend to take them all in one go in the middle of the summer ) so I'm busy here on the farm. Been a short year TBH and I'm still trying to settle in not that easy as I can be away a lot with work from time to time, spent a lot of the spring over and back between china and the states but I have been able to stack up time off which I'm using now. Will give it another year and then see how the farm is going. Herself was doing a lot of hire work last winter and again during the summer so if we have that again next year I'll be looking at packing in the job and becoming a full time farmer......

My folks were over for a week at the start if the month and it was glorious 30C for the week. Spend the time showing them around my dad likes the Wallender TV show so I took him down there.

Farming wise we are flat out, I haven't been able to spend a huge amount of time on it over the last few months so these few weeks are good for me and it gives herself a break too. Like the lads at home we are seeing a big squeeze on the milk price since last year but our cost base isn't as high as our neighbours who really need to pump out the milk to keep the cash coming in. A number of the older farmers round here reckon we will be better then the lads with the big sheds and robots. This is one of the biggest farming areas in Europe so we can grow plenty of good grass.

We made a decent purchase earlier this summer when a farmer up the road upgraded his milking parlour and moved to 3 robots to cut down on labour costs. So we bought the milking machine and built onto the shed. Milking 60 now with a 12 unit with auto removers, makes a big difference this time of the year as we are milking 3 times a day.

Did a good bit of reseeding in the spring as the older paddocks weren't great for milk and they are now starting to really bloom.

One I really do notice here is the beef stock, unlike Ireland there isn't a massive emphasis on beef herds so much if the beef cattle are from dairy herds. We threw in a few limo and sim AI straw last year and we really see it in the quality of the calves. Will defo add in more in the coming years once the dairy herd settles down as we already have takers for those calves this year from a few if the beef finishers.

Anyhow said I just let ye all know how it's going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭stanflt

Well folks it just over a year since the big move and all going well. Currently on my vacation time ( us Nordics tend to take them all in one go in the middle of the summer ) so I'm busy here on the farm. Been a short year TBH and I'm still trying to settle in not that easy as I can be away a lot with work from time to time, spent a lot of the spring over and back between china and the states but I have been able to stack up time off which I'm using now. Will give it another year and then see how the farm is going. Herself was doing a lot of hire work last winter and again during the summer so if we have that again next year I'll be looking at packing in the job and becoming a full time farmer......

My folks were over for a week at the start if the month and it was glorious 30C for the week. Spend the time showing them around my dad likes the Wallender TV show so I took him down there.

Farming wise we are flat out, I haven't been able to spend a huge amount of time on it over the last few months so these few weeks are good for me and it gives herself a break too. Like the lads at home we are seeing a big squeeze on the milk price since last year but our cost base isn't as high as our neighbours who really need to pump out the milk to keep the cash coming in. A number of the older farmers round here reckon we will be better then the lads with the big sheds and robots. This is one of the biggest farming areas in Europe so we can grow plenty of good grass.

We made a decent purchase earlier this summer when a farmer up the road upgraded his milking parlour and moved to 3 robots to cut down on labour costs. So we bought the milking machine and built onto the shed. Milking 60 now with a 12 unit with auto removers, makes a big difference this time of the year as we are milking 3 times a day.

Did a good bit of reseeding in the spring as the older paddocks weren't great for milk and they are now starting to really bloom.

One I really do notice here is the beef stock, unlike Ireland there isn't a massive emphasis on beef herds so much if the beef cattle are from dairy herds. We threw in a few limo and sim AI straw last year and we really see it in the quality of the calves. Will defo add in more in the coming years once the dairy herd settles down as we already have takers for those calves this year from a few if the beef finishers.

Anyhow said I just let ye all know how it's going

Great to hear from you- best of luck

Advertisement