Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome New Members/Old Members - Introduce yourself here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

My birthday's next week lads.......I like fancy restaurants and blue heifers :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,910 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ok back on track, I am from mid louth , have dairy farm and a few sucklers, 3 kids. Oh helps out on the farm and has a few lorries , my dad also still helps out too. I like powerwashing and hate ragworth;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Im early 30s, farming part time since March 2010. neither the OH or myself grew up on a farm, and nothing inherited. so everything bought and 3/4 land base rented. No SFP.
    rear 26/30 suck calves each year to stores

I work full time off the farm, partially in an agricultural industry. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Hello, my name is 'Daisy' and I am on boards :)

I am milking cows and living by myself in calving Cavan. Farming not something I always wanted to do - and still isn't:( Would love to have the interest/ambition etc that many of you on here have. Farm typically Cavan drumlin type ground, some ok by Cavan standards, some soft and some just wet. Involved in several groups and clubs and also interested in most sports.
    Learning lots on here in a friendly way. Also enjoy the banter and crack that on here from people I feel I know.

I would say I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hello, my name is 'Daisy' and I am on boards :)

I am milking cows and living by myself in calving Cavan. Farming not something I always wanted to do - and still isn't:( Would love to have the interest/ambition etc that many of you on here have. Farm typically Cavan drumlin type ground, some ok by Cavan standards, some soft and some just wet. Involved in several groups and clubs and also interested in most sports.
    Learning lots on here in a friendly way. Also enjoy the banter and crack that on here from people I feel I know.

I would say I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

I sound like your Wicklow twin ha, I've never been ashamed to admit dairying is just a job for me, its far to anti-social for my liking, which is where the clubs and sports I'm involved with come into theirown, without them I'd be nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

.Kovu. wrote: »
    My birthday's next week lads.......I like fancy restaurants and blue heifers :D:D

May celebrate it in style, after all your only 30 the once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Long time reader 1st time poster
    full time job part time farmer here with semi retired father, would be lost without him though.
    Milking here with 7 years & things seem to be backwards rather than forwards:):) job very near home & flexible too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭epfff

mid 30s Roscommon here married to a very understanding town woman
    part timer with few sucklers and sheep
    main farm activity killing bulls from shed (or boat for some this year) and heifers from grass with 2 factories near by I try and kill a few every week to keep cash turning
    I buy at all stages from calves to short keep cattle anything I see as value
    I also agree that boards is better than any adviser or group

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Louth man living in Meath.
    Long time reader.
    Bit of an Ag Engineer. Working on a mixed veg farm.
    Rather fond of machinery..... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭mf240

Early thirties. Happily single. Farming since left school and took over the home farm at 23.

Farm very fragmented with turf in one end and rock outcrop in the other.

Milk 50 -55 cows and keep the calves to beef or forward stores. Buy an odd few calves or wealings or stores aswell.

Helped out by parents and an uncle.

I like working with animals. Its people I find difficult. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Would be young here too. Mad about farming in General. More into the money makers than the money wasters(machinery)! Work on a dairy farm and also a Student!

I wouldn't know my arse from my elbow in farming if I hadn't of come across boards ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

epfff wrote: »
    mid 30s Roscommon here married to a very understanding town woman
    part timer with few sucklers and sheep
    main farm activity killing bulls from shed (or boat for some this year) and heifers from grass with 2 factories near by I try and kill a few every week to keep cash turning
    I buy at all stages from calves to short keep cattle anything I see as value
    I also agree that boards is better than any adviser or group

I think this speaks volumes, the level of some groups must be appalling if boards is better.

While I enjoy Boards, I'd find this to be nowhere near a diss group level.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭einn32

Late 20s Limerick man here. Always partially involved in dairy and suckling. Came home from abroad to give dairy farming a shot last year. Try to bring few elements from my old job to the farm. I like working with animals and for myself. Anti social hours are the downside. Still I find it a strange industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Robson99

Late 30s Galway man here. Part time farming. Store to beef with a few horses. Enjoy most aspects of farming especially grassland management/ reseeding and monitoring animal performance / weight gain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I think this speaks volumes, the level of some groups must be appalling if boards is better.

While I enjoy Boards, I'd find this to be nowhere near a diss group level.

Fully agree,your group know more about u and what ur at and give much more tailored advice.
    Anyway me heading for mid 30s ,married obe daughter but still feel like a young lad!!!.farming ft since 2010 ,dairy farmer and keep some bulls and cattle till 1.5 year old.fussy farmer,like things done right and not. Fan of hardship or long work hours ,spring excluded!worked in a big multinational pharmaceutical company for 10 years,great move ,saw how something different works as well as earning a few quid and getting to see the world never of got the chance if I came straight home from gurteen.100% happy now ,love been a dairy farmer with all its challenges and many rewards

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭grange mac

Greetings from deep south west cork!! Evening & weekend farmer.
    Aim to make a few quid farming some day and stop it from being a v expensive hobby...
    In the beef to factory side of things and after this weeks prices received I wonder where I am going.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

West cork born and bred. Weekend and evening reluctant farmer.my dad still most of the work. Full time job related to aspects of agriculture. Buy weanling bullocks and heifers and get factory ready.
    Considering converting to dairy or rent the whole lot out (I'd have to leave tbe F&F forum then)
    35 year old with a 3yo girl and just found out I have another one on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

North Tipp. Took over dairy herd of 65 cows and followers from my late father a few years ago. Not a big farm so maxed out stock wise. No interest in increasing by renting cos too many hands out in the area. Hold down a very good seasonal job in local coop for past 12 years. Married with two young kids so any scarce spare time is spent with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Late 20's (until January eep!) midlands lady here. Up in Dublin the last 12 years, go home whenever I can which is fcuk all at the minute :( Doin an MA, into the fitness, cycling mainly. started racing bikes this year in the velodrome and love it.
    Drystock at home, weanlings to mart. Try to get the father to modernise things and systems, use F&F for info, advice and tips I attempt to pass onto him. Hope to get home myself someday, but I feel a part time green cert may be in order, the science of farming is something I have had no contact with! So I don't post in info threads. Chit chat feels like going home so I loiter in there a lot :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reading through this thread in particular I think it's easy enough to see what makes this place such a valuable resourse. The people! A broad range of ages and experiences both from within the various facets of agriculture and outside experiences from other industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Carlow guy here early 30s.Spent my 20 s travelling around the world generally misbehaving myself.Back few years now and Run in partnership with my father a 50 cow suckler to weanling herd. Have off farm job in construction industry. 2 kids under 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Stupid Kerryman in exile, never played Gaaaaaa when I was young. Now stuck with a local GAA club. Youngest lad tidy hurler and footballer. Eldest fella has great interest in it but did not get involved back when he was young.

Left home playing pocket billiards with a kind of an education. Had an agriculture science teacher after looking at my science project asked me had I an interest in farming. I had made it all up ha at times theory is better than practice.

Married 3 kids in my 50's. Should have bought houses in the 90's would be back from the UK now after going through bankruptcy and everything would be grand. However for my sins I bought a farm a few miles away from where I live and at the height of the boom payed thought the nose for a bit of a field that the house was sitting on.

Mostly beef store to finish, generally everything is black and white with me, hate heifers. Really believe in thinking outside the box.

Here is one for you all, yesterday I was at a job and was less than half way, today I have more than half the job done, tomorrow I will have two thirds done.

How long will it take me in full days to complete the job.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Stupid Kerryman in exile, never played Gaaaaaa when I was young. Now stuck with a local GAA club. Youngest lad tidy hurler and footballer. Eldest fella has great interest in it but did not get involved back when he was young.

Left home playing pocket billiards with a kind of an education. Had an agriculture science teacher after looking at my science project asked me had I an interest in farming. I had made it all up ha at times theory is better than practice.

Married 3 kids in my 50's. Should have bought houses in the 90's would be back from the UK now after going through bankruptcy and everything would be grand. However for my sins I bought a farm a few miles away from where I live and at the height of the boom payed thought the nose for a bit of a field that the house was sitting on.

Mostly beef store to finish, generally everything is black and white with me, hate heifers. Really believe in thinking outside the box.

Here is one for you all, yesterday I was at a job and was less than half way, today I have more than half the job done, tomorrow I will have two thirds done.

How long will it take me in full days to complete the job.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision

Why do ya hate heifers? The only heifers I hate are the ones that stand on your feet in the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Why do ya hate heifers? The only heifers I hate are the ones that stand on your feet in the pub?

Aka the mullingar heifers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Reggie. wrote: »
    Aka the mullingar heifers :D

Beef to the heels !

moy83 wrote: »
    Beef to the heels !

Oh hell ya......like springing heifers with a few drinks...would bloody kill ya

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hard to believe but 5 years here on boards. Farm & Forestry the only forum l ever really bothered with. Came in knowing sweet FA and sure now l'm a know it all! :D

In my thirties, married. No little helpers of my own yet but a 5year old nephew that is tractor mad.

Came from a small wet farm that I now farm at evenings and weekends as a therapeutic hobby. The farm had a small dairy herd and sheep in my grandfather's time and hard to believe it reared 9kids. My father had mainly sucklers and suck calves, but worked off farm.

Nowadays it's all about breaking even and not loosing money. l've changed to fattening heifers after giving ped ch breeding a go. living off farm, had to bring the KISS principles into operation. Have all the farm paddocked and watered and try keep inputs to a minimum with growing grass cheaply the priority. Happy the way it is working out and l feel it is the best system for me and the farm going forward.

I am still working on not letting farm issues stress me out. Beef price etc being the biggest one and also the fact that you will never be remunerated for your time. But I say to myself l need to chillax cause if I m stressed at work and then stressed at the farm, what's the point of it?? Might aswell be at anything else.

Had the good fortune to go to college, gain a degree and now work fulltime as a public servant. I will never earn the big bucks, but hopefully touch wood will never go hungry. Happy to be a foot soldier at the coal face, no ambition for promotion. Plenty of other life goals l would like to achieve but money was never one of them. 1 dinner does me a day. Having come through my fair share of 'real life issues' in my early twenties, my priorities are crystal clear

No way into GAA or follow soccer. Like my music, all genres, but have a great gra for the trad, music song and dance -things l learnt as a child that I am now coming back to as an adult.

Well that's me! :D

Muckit wrote: »
    Hard to believe but 5 years here on boards. Farm & Forestry the only forum l ever really bothered with. Came in knowing sweet FA and sure now l'm a know it all! :D

In my thirties, married. No little helpers of my own yet but a 5year old nephew that is tractor mad.

Came from a small wet farm that I now farm at evenings and weekends as a therapeutic hobby. The farm had a small dairy herd and sheep in my grandfather's time and hard to believe it reared 9kids. My father had mainly sucklers and suck calves, but worked off farm.

Nowadays it's all about breaking even and not loosing money. l've changed to fattening heifers after giving ped ch breeding a go. living off farm, had to bring the KISS principles into operation. Have all the farm paddocked and watered and try keep inputs to a minimum with growing grass cheaply the priority. Happy the way it is working out and l feel it is the best system for me and the farm going forward.

I am still working on not letting farm issues stress me out. Beef price etc being the biggest one and also the fact that you will never be remunerated for your time. But I say to myself l need to chillax cause if I m stressed at work and then stressed at the farm, what's the point of it?? Might aswell be at anything else.

Had the good fortune to go to college, gain a degree and now work fulltime as a public servant. I will never earn the big bucks, but hopefully touch wood will never go hungry. Happy to be a foot soldier at the coal face, no ambition for promotion. Plenty of other life goals l would like to achieve but money was never one of them. 1 dinner does me a day. Having come through my fair share of 'real life issues' in my early twenties, my priorities are crystal clear

No way into GAA or follow soccer. Like my music, all genres, but have a great gra for the trad, music song and dance -things l learnt as a child that I am now coming back to as an adult.

Well that's me! :D

Jaysus muck we could be twins without the trad and dance bit tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Another Cavan man here, in my late twenties now:rolleyes:. Full time farming took over the farm from my late father almost five years ago, kinda threw in at the deep end but getting on alright. I buy weanlings and mostly sell as stores but sometimes finish some as well. I love learning new stuff and trying out new ideas. I love what I do but find the work life balance is something which I have to work on going forward:pac:

Advertisement