Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Farming General

Options
  • 03-02-2013 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭

There are up to 7 dairy threads going at one time. What's your opinion on having a "one stop" dairy thread. I, in no way want to exclude anyone else esoecially Bob Charles we need him to keep us real and you never know we may even convert him! Mods you may have another opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

seemed to be a very busy day on farming and forestry today. not everyday has as much activity

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

wouldn't agree delaval, it's all relevant. all in it's own box like a good filing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Could even go as far as a subforum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

who is going to teach us about getting cows out:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

I agree all threds have their place but I find general chit chat is mainly about beef and suckler farmers telling us how little money they are making:rolleyes::rolleyes: I meant it to be for general discussion rather than anything too heavy ie grass cover, growth rates, how calving or calves are going:)If you all don't think it's a good idea then thats cool too!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Notice a lot a dairyfarmers up late tonight calving must be well and truly underway, all hoping nothing happening in shed so we can go to the sack. I was alone all day milker had a family function so I do not need to be in yard 'till 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

its all kicked off around here anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Had a group from Brittany visit this am. Lovely people really enjoyed them.

I was surprised but perversely delighted that they had no idea of how much a litre of milk in their tank cost. They knew the cost of what they imported on farm but no idea how much a kg of maize produced on farm is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I was surprised but perversely delighted that they had no idea of how much a litre of milk in their tank cost. They knew the cost of what they imported on farm but no idea how much a kg of maize produced on farm is

That's put me in a good mood.
    The completion aren't cared how much it cost them to produce a litre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Our processor took a bunch of us on a trip to Belgium and Luxembourg a few yrs, and similar there, farming was the family vocation and they were in it for the long haul, regardless of how much or little they made

• Advertisement

A busy few days ahead. Start ai heifers this Friday, take kids to RDS for Leinster match, spray 50 acres of new ground for grass mix of stubble and old grass.

Put in some drains and build 4 bridges there also. We also have a day burning bushes followed by preparing ground and seeding. Won't need any story going to bed after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

things are starting to wind down here abit first of the herd on oad from today

A busy few days ahead. Start ai heifers this Friday, take kids to RDS for Leinster match, spray 50 acres of new ground for grass mix of stubble and old grass.

Put in some drains and build 4 bridges there also. We also have a day burning bushes followed by preparing ground and seeding. Won't need any story going to bed after that.
    Sounds like someone is expanding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

reseeding saturday 9 acres and paddock on front of house. have to fence new land rented down the road for replacements today, looking forward to letting them out after tb test. 13 left to calve by 1st May, hopefully things calm down from there!

Sounds like someone is expanding :D

Gg you know that expansion is a dirty word around here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

God it's weather like this I long for the slatted shed and blocking in silage. Rain rain and more f**kin rain. The farm I'm on is heavy enough for the area and if it continues we will be making more mud than milk. Forcasted about 60mm of rain for tonight which should be fun. Cows are milking fairly well still, 14 litres fat 6.38% protein 4.54% and scc sitting at 130,000. Putting one herd on once a day tomorrow so will be interesting to see what difference that makes. Starting to get busy again getting ready for winter, fencing winter crop etc and have 80 heifers arriving on the first of May to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

north or south conor?

C0N0R wrote: »
    God it's weather like this I long for the slatted shed and blocking in silage. Rain rain and more f**kin rain. The farm I'm on is heavy enough for the area and if it continues we will be making more mud than milk. Forcasted about 60mm of rain for tonight which should be fun. Cows are milking fairly well still, 14 litres fat 6.38% protein 4.54% and scc sitting at 130,000. Putting one herd on once a day tomorrow so will be interesting to see what difference that makes. Starting to get busy again getting ready for winter, fencing winter crop etc and have 80 heifers arriving on the first of May to.
    Rain all next week too, don't think the land out here can take the rain aswell as at home. One thing for sure the cows don't handle it well at all might have to look into putting everything on once a day next week due to the wether. They wont be long losing condition in this weathe.:mad:

north or south conor?

South Island Canterbury plains

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Rain all next week too, don't think the land out here can take the rain aswell as at home. One thing for sure the cows don't handle it well at all might have to look into putting everything on once a day next week due to the wether. They wont be long losing condition in this weathe.:mad:

You would have better draining land than me I would say to. Yea long range forecast would drive you to the pub! How do you find 24 hour breaks work in wet weather?

• Advertisement

24 hr breaks working ok at the moment. Yip would be better draining down here ok but the pie shaped paddocks are a disaster the fronts of the paddocks look like they have been ploughed at this stage. My track is ****ed taking an hour and Half to get the cows in and cow flow is ****. Sure we could dry off and hit for the pub for the rest I the season

trixi2011 wrote: »
    24 hr breaks working ok at the moment. Yip would be better draining down here ok but the pie shaped paddocks are a disaster the fronts of the paddocks look like they have been ploughed at this stage. My track is ****ed taking an hour and Half to get the cows in and cow flow is ****. Sure we could dry off and hit for the pub for the rest I the season

Two gateways in each paddock is a bit of a saving grace here, pie shaped paddocks are an awful prick that way. Cow flow is smashing at the moment, grain is bound to be helping that though. I've rugby tonight and looking at the rain forecasted mite be giving that a miss!

Pie shaped looks like its gone pear shaped😄😄

Question for ya Trix, are the pie shaped for the centre pivot? A farm not far from me has parlour dead centre and a short circular road. It really works well in the summer but gaps go into lava in the wet. With the shape he really only has one to two entrances into paddock with the result that sometimes the 20% nearest the gap gets some hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Lads I'm really peed off after milking this AM.
    First calver that is producing 42kg got stood on and one quarter is now badly swollen and totally blind.
    Any suggestions??

sheebadog wrote: »
    Lads I'm really peed off after milking this AM.
    First calver that is producing 42kg got stood on and one quarter is now badly swollen and totally blind.
    Any suggestions??

Bad start to the day.

If its not cut I'd suggest mast tube and something for swelling. Would arnica work I wonder. I have a product here called Udder comfort really good for swelling but that's not much good to you as you need this am.

That's all I can suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Wrecked today, could do with a holiday ran down as hell!

kevthegaff wrote: »

Come up to my place for a few days, "Change is as good as a rest"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Last cow calved, calf there to meet me this morning. Rang relief guy. Monday evening I'm out of here for 2 days. Catch up on a bit of r & r ( ahem) with the wife. Back then to start the AIing on Thursday. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

kevthegaff wrote: »

I know the feeling. Tired here too. Haven't been anywhere in weeks except the yard!

• Advertisement

Cows bulling well here at the min 2 or 3 a day. 80% bulling so far.
    Sweat feck all grass growing with all the N I have out and phos and I can't measure because I haven't paid my agrinet fee :(
    And reseeding not done yet.
    Going to run very tight on grass at end of the week.

I need rain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement