Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Odelay wrote: »
    Welcome aboard and fair play to you for trying so hard to get the photo to show. I can see it now, plenty of leverage there!

X2

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p dogg

Like I said there has been a few adjustments on the headscoop since the pics were taken. The leverage arm is hinged in the middle now, and also when I added the attachments at the outfarm crushes I modified it to fit either a left hand or right hand crush, I'll try get a pic of it tomorrow now that Ive discovered how to upload the pictures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

So anyway, another 3 posts. Is that right? :rolleyes:

You were always a dinger with the maths patsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

thanks for the photo
    Good job there how do you find the head catcher piece is there need for fancy Moulded one?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p dogg

I just used a strip of rubber 20mm thick going around the scoop part and it does the finest, there's no animals getting injured in it anyway. Not all scoops on the market have the fancy moulded bit you're on about. Ya just need something for a bit of cushioning to avoid injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That's not a vacuum pump though,that's a shaft driven impeller about 16 inches in width, with four vanes.
    Most vacuum pumps (8000 litre MEC is almost universal in agri) would take about 3 minutes to suck up 1300 gallons of slurry.

We have a 2300gallon hispec with a 10000litre pump . When tested she was able to fill a load of water in 3.5 minutes and a load of slurry in 5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You were always a dinger with the maths patsy.
    More like keep posting and you'll be able to put up pics.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

This setup with a hydraulic pump on the tractor and a motor on the implement is very inefficient when compared to a PTO shaft. You'd get a big drop in HP from the tractor to the implement. Could be as much as a 30% loss in power. That energy loss is through the generation of heat, so that heat has to be dissipated with a cooler.

We looked at this for the vacuum tank. One thing we found was the hydraulic motors are specced for revolutions per litre of oil.
    The problem is older tractors have lower capacity pumps 30/40litres per minute . newer tractors 70/80lpm.
    If you go for an average motor, the older tractor will be revved flat out to get the speed up , the newer one will be running too fast at tickover.

9935452 wrote: »
    We looked at this for the vacuum tank. One thing we found was the hydraulic motors are specced for revolutions per litre of oil.
    The problem is older tractors have lower capacity pumps 30/40litres per minute . newer tractors 70/80lpm.
    If you go for an average motor, the older tractor will be revved flat out to get the speed up , the newer one will be running too fast at tickover.
    No, you should put on a separate PTO pump with a spec (revs/lts) that matches the motor. That way the revs from the PTO will be the same as the revs going to the implement (Vac tank in your case).

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭renandstimpy

Decided to make a patio table that can take a parasol and that can be left out all year round ... not exactly farming , but the steel was left over bits on farm :D. Going to get it Galvanised and then bed base into hole in concrete slab before i lay paving and also get a 1200 mm circle of granite for the top with 40mm hole bored in it . browny points with the boss :p .

2JkpRT.jpg

MargT4.jpg

KncKQv.jpg

z8xZ4k.jpg

kuxLFa.jpg

DxLtYC.jpg

• Advertisement

Braided a loop into a rope end. Thanks to YouTube. A knot would not fit through the eye bolt.
    This is the leg hoist I made earlier. The lighter rope I had on it broke.

416547.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I could have sworn I had one of these somewhere in the back of the jeep.
    416571.JPG
    So instead of driving 12 miles, I used this instead.
    416572.JPG

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Great job Blue ... there will be half sets of rachet straps all over the country 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

blue5000 wrote: »
    I could have sworn I had one of these somewhere in the back of the jeep.
    416571.JPG
    So instead of driving 12 miles, I used this instead.
    416572.JPG

Is there anywhere I get some sort of a wire tensioner to tighten barbed wire, without cutting or opening it?
    Something like this: http://www.jakeswiretighteners.com/

Connacht Agri Wire strainer ... Have one for a year or two ... Great job .... check out there website .. it's €99 ... there is a video on YouTube on how to use it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

I disagree this is engineering not guntering or labour saving................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Could be labour saving if you're constipated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A reel I stuck together to make unrolling high tensile wire a bit easier.

diSjI1F.jpg

4HGOhqV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You know when you've been doing something for a while and have yourself convinced that it is the only way to do things..... then you see it done another (better) way and you feel like clapping and giving that man a medal!

NB... This is not about the type of fence post but the way he puts up the wire. Just watch the first 10 secs and you'll know what I mean! Only thing ld change is I'd probably put down posts on way out not back...

https://youtu.be/N0Cm9DVgUN4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Muckit wrote: »
    You know when you've been doing something for a while and have yourself convinced that it is the only way to do things..... then you see it done another (better) way and you feel like clapping and giving that man a medal!

NB... This is not about the type of fence post but the way he puts up the wire. Just watch the first 10 secs and you'll know what I mean! Only thing ld change is I'd probably put down posts on way out not back...

I don't get it Muckit!:confused:

If I had to do that with the strip wires I use it wouldn't work as sometimes the the little wires get caught in one another and surely if I left the reel on the fence and walked off with one end i'd be gone 20ft and it would be stuck into one another and i'd have to go back to the reel and free it.

What I do and most people i'd say is put a loop on one end and put it on a strong pigtail and then walk with the reel and stakes and do the one job as I go along (unroll and put stakes up) and then when I get to the other end wrap the wire on the metal crook on the reel and hook to fence or if there is no electric fence at the reel end to put a current in the strip wire, drop the pigtail with strip wire attached over the electric fence at the start and walk on.

There should be no need to walk twice along the one stripwire.

Edit: you can do the above either walking or from the quad.

I think it's easier to run the line fully first and then go back with the posts. That way the posts are in a straight line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I think it's easier to run the line fully first and then go back with the posts. That way the posts are in a straight line.

I'm with you 100% on this one patsy. A nice straight line, good and tight, and you hardly need a shock at all. I see lads putting up fence zig zagging across the field Id do better with a blindfold on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yea it's a joke sometimes to look back when you think you've walked a straight line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yea it's a joke sometimes to look back when you think you've walked a straight line

with the terrain around here I'd rarely walk in a straight line, I don't like walking downhill to walk uphill again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I don't have a quad and so fences put up on foot. You are holding a reel and trying to hold 8-10 pigtails. I haven't tried it but if it did work, it would seem easier to hook on reel and just pull wire out. Put as you say pedigree, in practice the polywire can tangle or find it's way off the spool even with the guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I don't have a quad and so fences put up on foot. You are holding a reel and trying to hold 8-10 pigtails. I haven't tried it but if it did work, it would seem easier to hook on reel and just pull wire out. Put as you say pedigree, in practice the polywire can tangle or find it's way off the spool even with the guide.
    Don't forget the longer the strip wire you're putting up the more pressure you're putting on the little wires by leaving the reel and walking off with an end.
    That YouTube clip is as much an advertisement for their wire as it is for the pigtails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I don't get it Muckit!:confused:

If I had to do that with the strip wires I use it wouldn't work as sometimes the the little wires get caught in one another and surely if I left the reel on the fence and walked off with one end i'd be gone 20ft and it would be stuck into one another and i'd have to go back to the reel and free it.

What I do and most people i'd say is put a loop on one end and put it on a strong pigtail and then walk with the reel and stakes and do the one job as I go along (unroll and put stakes up) and then when I get to the other end wrap the wire on the metal crook on the reel and hook to fence or if there is no electric fence at the reel end to put a current in the strip wire, drop the pigtail with strip wire attached over the electric fence at the start and walk on.

There should be no need to walk twice along the one stripwire.

Edit: you can do the above either walking or from the quad.

I just put both the plastic handle that comes with the reel and a gate handle on the end of the wire for the reel, hook it on either side of the insulator on the permanent post and strike off then and throw in the pigtails as I go. The gate handle puts the shock from fencer on tonthe reel and the plastic one can be used if you need to hook it on to anything that may earth the fence. Using the the poly wire instead of poly tape allows you to leave a decent distance between pigtails depending on topography. Cows don't mind if it's not bang on straight, unless you have a fecker that pushes the posts over but she eventually got moved on to maccy d's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I thought everyone did it that way:pac:

The only thing I do differently is I hook the plastic handle onto the belt loops of my trousers when I am reeling it in as I won't be pulling the weight of the handle across the field and it's way easier just reeling in polywire rather than polywire and a handle. Less strain on the polywire too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Where are ye getting oxygen and acetalyne for brazing or cutting ?
    The father is looking but reckons its not a case of going in and getting a refill anymore

Advertisement