Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosing Cattle

• 06-06-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Have cattle out 6-7 weeks now so they are due a dose. Just wondering what would be a good all round dose to cover fluke and worms. Am thinking of using LEVAFAS DIAMOND as someone at work rekons its good stuff.

What are others using, all advice appreciated. Cattle are 12-18 months old.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sami23 wrote: »
    Have cattle out 6-7 weeks now so they are due a dose. Just wondering what would be a good all round dose to cover fluke and worms. Am thinking of using LEVAFAS DIAMOND as someone at work rekons its good stuff.

I used a cheapie ivermectin on same aged cattle this week, didn't do anything for fluke.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blue5000 wrote: »
    I used a cheapie ivermectin on same aged cattle this week, didn't do anything for fluke.

We do the same, something cheap and cheery this time of year for worms and external parasites and then later in "summer" consider the fluke risk depending on weather.. We used a pour-on from Norbrok, bought locally from a lad that sells "near end of shelf-life" products.

Stock that age will also have build up some level of immunity to worms so shouldn't be in a real bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yearlings may not have built up immunity. They won't have got much exposure to worms when on the teat the summer before or in the shed over the winter!

Also if bought in stock you don't know, they may never have been dosed.

A good rotational grazing system will help with keeping worm burdens lower than say set stocking, as cattle are moved onto fresh grass every few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

All out and dosed today.ivermectin injection used not happy with pouron I've used the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any point in dosing stronger cattle that have been out for a few weeks for fluke? Haven't been exposed to much wet land yet and they got a good shot when housed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

MfMan wrote: »
    Any point in dosing stronger cattle that have been out for a few weeks for fluke? Haven't been exposed to much wet land yet and they got a good shot when housed.
    no

I said wrote: »
    All out and dosed today.ivermectin injection used not happy with pouron I've used the last couple of years.
    where these dosed already? why would you dose them at turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

whelan2 wrote: »

I agree. Everything gets ivermectin going in and a copper injection going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Sami23

How long after turn out would you recommend to dose them Whelan with an ivermectin ?

How long after turn out would you recommend to dose them Whelan with an ivermectin ?
    6-8 weeks after turn out .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

No not dosed going in fecking new tb rules balls up my dosing plan so waited now till turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

I agree. Everything gets ivermectin going in and a copper injection going out.

land is high in copper here so never had to bother with that thank god
    one less job to do !
    going to test the foliage this year to determine if that is low in anything
    have all my trace elements up to scratch

land is high in copper here so never had to bother with that thank god
    one less job to do !
    going to test the foliage this year to determine if that is low in anything
    have all my trace elements up to scratch

Ya, one of the disadvantages of a soil PH of 8 and molybdenum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Have cattle out 6-7 weeks now so they are due a dose. Just wondering what would be a good all round dose to cover fluke and worms. Am thinking of using LEVAFAS DIAMOND as someone at work reckons its good stuff.

Sami I had a batch of bullocks 17 all 400/600kg when finished sold through mart.
    3 of them had a scour all summer despite what I thought was a good regime of dosing pour on and vet visits to no avail.
    Now before I sold them I took samples which vet sent to Slago,came back over burden with stomach worm advice was to dose with Levafas Diamond.
    Thats my wee bit said Attie.

Ya, one of the disadvantages of a soil PH of 8 and molybdenum.

power the can out and should lower ph and release more copper

can makes soil acidic

power the can out and should lower ph and release more copper

can makes soil acidic

But what about P and K indexes if you go with just CAN ?

But what about P and K indexes if you go with just CAN ?

he has a separate issue

his ph is too high due to molybdenum in the soil
    high ph ties up copper in the soil making it unavailable to the plant

he can apply p and k if he wants also

but im just saying that applying a decent amount of can will help to lower the ph

the ph is too high and will affect grass growth just as much as if it was too low

he has a separate issue

he can apply p and k if he wants also

but im just saying that applying a decent amount of can will help to lower the ph

the ph is too high and will affect grass growth just as much as if it was too low

Thanks very well explained.

On a separate issue, would applying a good bit of CAN actually lower your P & K indexes or not affect them ?

Thanks very well explained.

On a separate issue, would applying a good bit of CAN actually lower your P & K indexes or not affect them ?
    no it wouldn't really affect the p and k indices

however if you spread a lot of can you need to follow up with lime on a regular basis
    out from that its fine

can is lime hungry

the biggest thing that ruins p and k in fields is taking silage off them and not returning the slurry to the same field, very costly mistake

out from that the only demand for p and k is the leaching from rain and the offtake in beef and or milk exported from farm due to grazing

he has a separate issue

I am no expert, but I would have though high Mo is not responsible for the high PH. On the edge of the burren so high limestone area which accounts for the PH. The Mo ties up the copper in the soil making it unavailable to the plants.

• Advertisement

I am no expert, but I would have though high Mo is not responsible for the high PH. On the edge of the burren so high limestone area which accounts for the PH. The Mo ties up the copper in the soil making it unavailable to the plants.
    I suppose I should have said the reverse, high Mo is as a result of the high Ph

but definitely the thing to do is power out the CAN, it will reduce ph and lessen the strength of Mo uptake by animals

reducing the Mo uptake will reduce any copper disorders in ruminants

it is an unusual problem in the mineral soils I have, I am on limestone land and my ph is good, I struggle with my calcium levels though

your other elements in the soil will also be restricted by the high ph so you'll have to apply can and you should see ph levels drop

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DonAndy1

just firing out a question here:
    over the last few years we have dosed all cattle, weanlings/bullocks with the following:
    @ turnout - Animec Super Injection & ectospec pouron
    6/7 weeks later (june) with same
    August - shot of Albex 10%
    Housing - Animec Super & then throughout winter months taktic for lice etc.

question - whats ideal for all round worm (stomach & Lung) & Stomach & Liver fluke dose, both early & mature.
    thanks & any help greatly appreciated!!!!

Advertisement